Speculation: Significant trade action prior to Expansion Draft

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Does anyone else share the same opinion that there will be a significant trading action before the ED? I'm very interested in seeing what happens. Some of the most interesting deals may involve the Jets and Vegas. :) Prospects for a 2nd parring LHD.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Does anyone else share the same opinion that there will be a significant trading action before the ED? I'm very interested in seeing what happens. Some of the most interesting deals may involve the Jets and Vegas. :) Prospects for a 2nd parring LHD.

My thoughts are most GM's will be waiting until after the expansion draft to start dealing, although they'll certainly be significant talk prior to the draft occurring.

Vegas will be selecting 30 decent players, all of which will be at least middle six forwards or second pairing defensemen. Every single one of these players will be waiver eligible & if there's one thing Vegas can't afford to do is hand them away once opening day rosters are declared.

That means that at least 7 players will need to be dealt prior to opening day & will never play a regular season game for Vegas.

Further they'll need some semblance of a farm team & will need a handful of prospects that can move up & down without fear of loss.

They'll certainly be a significant number of LSD's that will be expansion eligible & once this list is finalized I'm sure they'll be a lot of talk between Chevy & McPhee as to what they'll give up in exchange for certain players being selected.

Everyone's been in a funk about the potential loss of a young forward should the Jets go with 8 skaters as most expect.

I would think more than one young forward will have played his last game for this organization.

Although this season has been a write off, it's been a great opportunity to evaluate every member of the roster with a variety of line mates as well as & in multiple roles.

This team is well positioned to make a handful of deals involving our overwhelming crop of young forwards for the defensive help we need that will take us to the playoffs next season.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
There will be "action" I'm just not sure how significant those moves will be. Perhaps just some "depth" moves

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Really hard to say. Back when the XD rules were finalized I saw potential for a lot of maneuvring and jockeying for position right up to the TD. Instead the XD seemed to dampen the entire trade market. There haven't even been many rumours. There are a few teams with exemptions to spare. Even these teams haven't generated any buzz.

In part it looks like everybody is waiting to see what everybody else does. This is a situation that affects all 31 teams and everything overlaps.

My guess is that they all wait for the last minute. We get a little flurry of activity like we did at the TD and then nothing. There will be a lot more after the XD when LV has surplus players to move in exchange for futures, or at least waiver exempt players.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
My thoughts are most GM's will be waiting until after the expansion draft to start dealing, although they'll certainly be significant talk prior to the draft occurring.

Vegas will be selecting 30 decent players, all of which will be at least middle six forwards or second pairing defensemen. Every single one of these players will be waiver eligible & if there's one thing Vegas can't afford to do is hand them away once opening day rosters are declared.

That means that at least 7 players will need to be dealt prior to opening day & will never play a regular season game for Vegas.

Further they'll need some semblance of a farm team & will need a handful of prospects that can move up & down without fear of loss.

They'll certainly be a significant number of LSD's that will be expansion eligible & once this list is finalized I'm sure they'll be a lot of talk between Chevy & McPhee as to what they'll give up in exchange for certain players being selected.

Everyone's been in a funk about the potential loss of a young forward should the Jets go with 8 skaters as most expect.

I would think more than one young forward will have played his last game for this organization.

Although this season has been a write off, it's been a great opportunity to evaluate every member of the roster with a variety of line mates as well as & in multiple roles.

This team is well positioned to make a handful of deals involving our overwhelming crop of young forwards for the defensive help we need that will take us to the playoffs next season.

Your 2nd paragraph statement about every single player chosen by Vegas will be waiver eligible in the fall is incorrect. LATE birthdays( after Sept15) from the 2013 draft that were signed in the 1st year and played there 2nd year in the AHL can be selected as they have played 3 proffesional seasons. They also had their ELCs slide 2 times. So that means that they still have 1 year of ELC and are not waiver elligible and can play in the AHL next year for Vegas.

In the 1 st round of 2013 I count 6 players that fit this discription.

MANTHA.....DET...... they will protect
PULOCK......NYI....... they will most likely protect but causes a problem having to protect more than 3 d-men

Rychel.....Tor...... may be left unprotected

Poirier..... Cal...... most likely left unprotected

Shinkaruk....Cal.... most likely left unprotected

Hartman ....Chi....... probably protected....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->