Kings Article: Significance and Expectations Are Sky High for the LA Kings and the 2019 NHL Draft

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
As he has done over the past handful of years, Los Angeles Kings Director of Amateur Scouting Mark Yanetti spoke exclusively with Frozen Royalty ahead of the 2019 NHL Draft in Vancouver, with the first round on Friday, June 21, at 5:00 PM Pacific time.

In the first of two pre-draft stories, Yanetti talked about the significance of this year's draft, especially compared to other, recent drafts, and about the high expectations for this draft.

Read all about it at...

Significance and Expectations Are Sky High for the LA Kings and the 2019 NHL Draft

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
I’m hoping next year becomes the most important Kong’s draft ever.

Another year tanking? So we can see Luc super pumped for another 5OA draft pic?

156096528330761.gif

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
(Byram) Doughty
Anderson Clague
Durzi Phillips

Such a pivotal pick for the future.

You, of course, realize that Durzi plays the right and Clague the left, yes? Dunno where Phillips and Anderson play, but I'm guessing LD for both of them.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Durzi and Phillips played together in juniors. Not to say it'll continue in the pros but theres some history there to begin with. Anderson seem destined to be Doughty's partner. But no one really knows what the future pairings may be.

If we get Byram...would that make Clague expendable?

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Durzi and Phillips played together in juniors. Not to say it'll continue in the pros but theres some history there to begin with. Anderson seem destined to be Doughty's partner. But no one really knows what the future pairings may be.

In that I've yet to see ONE glowing report of Clague's transition to the AHL, I'm under the impression that Clague is expendable regardless.....

Nodoughtyboutit

May 14, 2010
In that I've yet to see ONE glowing report of Clague's transition to the AHL, I'm under the impression that Clague is expendable regardless.....

Really? I've heard pretty good things. Didn't Blake say if Clague didnt hurt his foot, he thought be would have been on the roster after the Muzzin trade?

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I've heard Stothers give a glowing report about Clague on more than one occasion.
Still may end up being expendable depending on what happens at the draft and in the next couple of years, but it seemed like his game was developing nicely.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
(Byram) Doughty
Anderson Clague
Durzi Phillips

Such a pivotal pick for the future.

Looks good...hard to know how good Phillips will be yet and know he's playing better..would be nice to see some size on that corps and hoping LHD Brickley or RHD Strand make the grade...both big dudes.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I doubt very much the Kings consider Clague "expendable". Like nearly all rookie professional D men, it's a rough transition the first season from the CHL. He struggled early, and it doesn't help he is undersized. Smaller D men like Clague will take a year or two to mature physically and get strong enough to compete. He was a much better and more confident player in the 2nd half of the season last year and is one of the more talented players in the system. In fact, I have it on very good authority he was going to be called up at the end of the year and given a look, but he broke his foot blocking a shot and missed the last month of the season. He looks like he could run an NHL PP today. He will struggle defensively as he adapts to the pro game, but the important part is he was progressing. He looked like a more confident player in the 2nd half. Most NHL D men don't make the league until they are 23. He was 20 years old last season. And yes, I was critical of his play from time to time during the year. But it's all part of the learning process. I watched him play nearly every game last season in person or on AHL TV. Did you?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Martinez only has two more years remaining on his contract. Once he's gone, that's a top four open spot that one of the prospects will have to fill. Whether it be Clague, Anderson, Durzi, Phillips, etc., there's going to be opportunities for these guys to earn a full-time NHL role over the next couple of seasons.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Martinez and Forbort will be gone over the next couple of seasons, plus we don't know how long guys like Matt Roy and Sean Walker will be around or how they'll project given that they're already in their mid 20s.

There's plenty of room for competition.

Sure - I was mostly joking. But hopefully Clague, Anderson, and Durzi all contribute for us soon.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Sure - I was mostly joking. But hopefully Clague, Anderson, and Durzi all contribute for us soon.

From all I have read and seen footage..and the WJC, etc, it seems Durzi will take the longest, but has the highest offensive upside. He's very good on his skates and can really run a PP. Man, I saw him make some wicked moves and dekes on the PP and make amazing plays. From the scout level reads - it will be his defensive play and strength that he will need to work on. I think his talent is not questioned, or his skating and offensive play. So seems like at least 2 years in the AHL. Anderson seems most poised and ALWAYS exceeds expectations, each year. Such amazing instincts and poise at the highest possible level, among his peers. No one expected him to be named USA Team Captain, for one thing...Mikey who? In 2 years, every NHL casual fan will know who Mikey Anderson is. Clague will be good and if he needs one more year in the AHL, no big deal. I think they bought out LHD Dion, to open 1 spot for 1 of 3 LHD: Clague, Brickley , Anderson and let the 3 of them decide who takes that spot. They may favor Clague, but bet they are open to seeing if Brickley or Anderson challenge for it and take it. All good. I suppose MacD could be in the mix...but that may take another 1 of 2 LHD moved: Martinez or Forbort.

Last edited:

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Who cares

1) 97% of the people who participate on these particular message boards

2) 100% of the people who are hockey GMs, scouts, coaches, evaluators of talent, owners, and everyone in hockey associated with the draft

3) Not you ;)

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
1) 97% of the people who participate on these particular message boards

2) 100% of the people who are hockey GMs, scouts, coaches, evaluators of talent, owners, and everyone in hockey associated with the draft

3) Not you ;)

Right. Because the majority of line ups are so accurate on these boards. I’m sorry that’s just you being nitpicking.

“You do realize” you came off as a douchebag no?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Nope...although we didn’t get Byram, Byram is not Hedman-caliber. And I even Hedman was not a sure thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad