Prospect Info: Signed ELC Mar. 21, 2017: Mark Friedman, D , 5'11", 185 lbs., 2014 3rd round pick

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I’d have liked to see him used more, but again, I’m specifically talking about the most egregious examples.

Gudas, Raffl, Weal, etc werent misused to the extent the others were.

I’d have personally made adjustments in plenty of little cases of player usage all over the lineup, but the names I pointed out were ridiculous, borderline criminal, misuses of the past few years.

This is a classic example of HYPERBOLE.

1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
  2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Whats the big problem here? Mark Friedman could come and be a solid bottom pair RH defender and what is wrong with that?

P. Myers could spend time in the AHL on the top pair, playing PP and PK minutes as well. He can also hopefully correct some of his problem areas as well without any real pressure. Philadelphia is a pressure cooker for NHL players (not so much as Canada) but you still have to perform.

I do get that people want to ice the best roster but sometimes the prospects can use a bit more time. Just be glad that we don't have Luke Schenn and Grossmann on the roster.

Reactions: Curufinwe and wasup

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Whats the big problem here? Mark Friedman could come and be a solid bottom pair RH defender and what is wrong with that?

P. Myers could spend time in the AHL on the top pair, playing PP and PK minutes as well. He can also hopefully correct some of his problem areas as well without any real pressure. Philadelphia is a pressure cooker for NHL players (not so much as Canada) but you still have to perform.

I do get that people want to ice the best roster but sometimes the prospects can use a bit more time. Just be glad that we don't have Luke Schenn and Grossmann on the roster.
"I know we have dog crap on this team but it could be worse we could have horse crap."

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bottom pair defensemen for Cup teams:

2017-18:
Caps: Brooks Orpik, Christian Djoos
Vegas: Colin Miller, Luke Sbisa/Jonathon Merrill
2016-17:
Pens: Trevor Dailey, Ian Cole
Nash: Matt Irwin, Yannick Weber
2015-16:
Pens: Olli Maata, Ian Cole, Justin Schultz
San Jose: Roman Polak, Brenden Dillon
2014-15:
Chi: Michal Rozsival, Kyle Cumiskey, Kimmo
TB: Matt Carle, Andre Sustr
2013-14:
LA: Alec Martinez, Matt Greene, Robyn Regehr, Jeff Schultz
NYR: John Moore, Kevin Kline
2012-13:
Chi: Michael Rozsival, Nick Leddy
Bos: Torey Krug (21), Adam McQuaid

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This is a classic example of HYPERBOLE.

1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
  2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”
I’m not sure what Striiker thinks his consistent hyperbole accomplishes, but it certainly reduces credibility.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
"I know we have dog crap on this team but it could be worse we could have horse crap."

Trying to be positive is the worse.

Deadhead has been beating this drum for a while but the standards for players is different. Its not acceptable for Ghost to play like a bottom pairing defender, while it is acceptable for MacDonald to do it.

You don't want some guy with great talent to be complacent just because he's made it and happy he's there. I will say that is one thing that Hextall and Hakstol have gotten right. Hextall's loyalty to Lappy is one thing he's totally gotten wrong though along with letting Jake Voracek use twitter (JUST KIDDING THAT WAS AMAZING!).

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Hagg and MacDonald are just as bad as Schenn and Grossmann, if not worse.

Are they really? Besides MacDonald, Hagg is pretty cost controlled unlike Schenn and Grossmann were.

I'd say MacDonald in some regards is better than Schenn and Grossmann since his foot speed isnt awful. He doesn't handle the puck like a grenade either but he's far from good with it. MacDonald's contract is a blackhole but it is almost over and the Flyers shouldn't have any terrible player on the top 4 sooner than later.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Are they really? Besides MacDonald, Hagg is pretty cost controlled unlike Schenn and Grossmann were.

I'd say MacDonald in some regards is better than Schenn and Grossmann since his foot speed isnt awful. He doesn't handle the puck like a grenade either but he's far from good with it. MacDonald's contract is a blackhole but it is almost over and the Flyers shouldn't have any terrible player on the top 4 sooner than later.

As long as Hakstol is coach, there will always be a terrible defensemen in our Top 4.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Friedman turned 24 yesterday. :xsign:

He missed two weeks with a UBI, but played both games in Charlotte last weekend. 10 points in 22 games means he's pacing for 31 in 68 if he doesn't miss any more this season.

TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

If he's healthy, I really hope he's on the roster where he belongs at the start of next season, and they don't bring in a useless vet with "intangibles" to be the 7/8 dman.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Friedman is probably NHL ready right now, but he's taking a step up this season at LHV, there's no reason to glue him to the bench in Philly (gonna sit Myers for him?).
Next season we'll see if they bring Braun back, if not, there's an opening for a RHD.
If Myers steps up this season and shows he's ready for a top 4 spot, then the only way Braun returns is on a 3rd pair salary on a short-term deal.

And no, AV isn't going to bench Braun for Friedman this year, for some reason HCs going into the playoffs like defensemen with 84 playoff games under their belt who have shown they still have something left in the tank.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Tick tock.

This is another reason why we could have happily and easily bailed on Hagg and moved him for anything. Friedman has been good enough to warrant an NHL look, and common sense dictates we figure out what he's gonna be this year while it can be done without risk.

Hagg's established ceiling has been firmly and completely proven. At that point we should have moved on and seen what's next in line. It's not made sense to cling to him like they have. His greatest value to the team at this point is in a trade.

Reactions: Starat327

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The team should go into next season with Friedman penciled in as the 6/7, with a plausible path to a starting spot, offseason depending — like selling Ghost low or re-signing Braun.

But at the same time, it’s not fair for a still developing 24-25 year old player, who has gotten everything he could out of the AHL, to possibly only play 25-40 NHL games as the #7. It’s not fair for him to be paid $700k to sit for stretches in NHL amenities instead of riding buses for $70k. I doubt that’s what Mark Friedman would want. He might get taken off waivers, but if he passes, proving he’s not an NHL player, we LMAO and move on.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I'd put Schenn in the Hagg range with MacDonald and Grossmann a little above them.

With that being said Friedman has been playing solid for the Flyers and is making it difficult for them to send him back down.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Friedman played at Bowling Green which is close to where I currently reside. His play there was ok; not great or good. Not really a top pairing guy for the Falcons for most of his time there. I didn’t see NHL in his future. However he’s worked hard at improving his game since leaving school. He’s a solid player who stays within this abilities. He has the ability to be a bottom part guy. Kudos to him for his work and improvement.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The team should go into next season with Friedman penciled in as the 6/7, with a plausible path to a starting spot, offseason depending — like selling Ghost low or re-signing Braun.

But at the same time, it’s not fair for a still developing 24-25 year old player, who has gotten everything he could out of the AHL, to possibly only play 25-40 NHL games as the #7. It’s not fair for him to be paid $700k to sit for stretches in NHL amenities instead of riding buses for $70k. I doubt that’s what Mark Friedman would want. He might get taken off waivers, but if he passes, proving he’s not an NHL player, we LMAO and move on.

hilarious great post

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Friedman played at Bowling Green which is close to where I currently reside. His play there was ok; not great or good. Not really a top pairing guy for the Falcons for most of his time there. I didn’t see NHL in his future. However he’s worked hard at improving his game since leaving school. He’s a solid player who stays within this abilities. He has the ability to be a bottom part guy. Kudos to him for his work and improvement.

That's not accurate. He was a huge part of their team, and led the defense in scoring in his third season.

BG’s Friedman signs with NHL Flyers – BGSUHockey.com

Friedman played three seasons with the Falcons, totaling 16 goals and 52 assists in 112 career games. He also had an on-ice rating of +22, 58 penalties for 143 minutes, six power-play goals, one short-handed goal and two game-winning goals.

The Toronto native earned All-Western Collegiate Hockey Association recognition in each of his three seasons. He was a third-team selection as a junior, a first-team pick as a sophomore and an all-rookie-team honoree as a freshman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad