Prospect Info: Signed ELC Mar. 21, 2017: Mark Friedman, D , 5'11", 185 lbs., 2014 3rd round pick

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Kimmo is a good comparison physically.
Kimmo started in the NHL at 23 and really hit his stride at 25.
Friedman will turn 22 in December.

I think Kimmo is a good comparison because Friedman is a gritty small defenseman who plays defense, and not just relies on his skating and scoring skills. Friedman also has a similar body type, and to be successful in the NHL will have to use leverage and positioning to be a two way defenseman - he's not as explosive as Ghost so he'll have to perform at both ends of the ice. Shorter defensemen obviously lack "reach," so they have to use quickness and anticipation to break up plays. Short doesn't mean "weak," if you have a stout body and use leverage you can move bigger players.

Friedman shouldn't need more than 2 AHL seasons at most before pushing for a job if he's a NHL caliber defenseman. Maybe only one if he's as smart as advertised. The AHL will be a good test for him.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I've got high expectations of Friedman. I liked him from the moment he was drafted and all of his coaches talked about how studious he is with regards to the game. He also played three years at Bowling Green and was a big part of the program turn around there. That might not mean much to some, but a guy who helps change the culture is an important player in the system.

An incredibly smart player, for certain. Personal opinion - I think he's a guy that gets underrated because he doesn't have the size like others or the pedigree/publicity that others have. With that being said, this is a very good hockey player that just seems to make the right plays all the time. Not a lot of flash to his game, just good decisions and makes the safe play. There's room for guys like him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I've got high expectations of Friedman. I liked him from the moment he was drafted and all of his coaches talked about how studious he is with regards to the game. He also played three years at Bowling Green and was a big part of the program turn around there. That might not mean much to some, but a guy who helps change the culture is an important player in the system.

An incredibly smart player, for certain. Personal opinion - I think he's a guy that gets underrated because he doesn't have the size like others or the pedigree/publicity that others have. With that being said, this is a very good hockey player that just seems to make the right plays all the time. Not a lot of flash to his game, just good decisions and makes the safe play. There's room for guys like him.

He sounds a lot like Ryan Ellis

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Friedman and Hogberg are the two most intriguing prospects in the Flyers system IMO. If one of these guys hits as a top 4, the Flyers are going to have some serious ammo to acquire that final piece when the time is right.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He improved, but didn't stand out, much like TC this year.
But defensemen often take longer, however, his upside seems to have lowered.
I think he'll play in the NHL, but not sure he'll ever be much above "Folin" status as a #6/#7.

It's just hard to know if a player who is still young will continue to improve or flatline.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Friedman will be a nice 6th/7th defenseman, if we ever get rid of the guys who should be 7th/8th defensemen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sounds like he might not even get to play in another game.

The fact that Hextall thinks Friedman had a better camp than Myers just shows you how similar he is to Hakstol. The less of an impact a player has, the better. No event hockey!

Reactions: BillDineen

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think a lot of people are:
1. Underrating Friedman
2. Overrating Myers
3. Disregarding that the org is giving Friedman props for doing what they've asked, and letting Myers know they expect more.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The fact that Hextall thinks Friedman had a better camp than Myers just shows you how similar he is to Hakstol. The less of an impact a player has, the better. No event hockey!

It that what Hextall likes about Vorobyev? His lack of impact?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not every single player they use lacks skill, but it certainly seems like every player they underuse is very skilled (TK, Myers, Sanheim, Ghost) and every single player they overuse is unskilled (Lehtera, Manning, Hagg, MacDonald, Filppula).

There’s definitely a pattern.

It’d be different if the skilled ones were actually poor defensively (they’re not) and the unskilled guys were good defensively (they’re not), but that’s obviously isn’t he case here. The “safe” players are inferior in all 3 zones.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Jtown would no doubt argue that Couturier getting 21 minutes a game was overuse of an unskilled player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost is underused? 20+ minutes a night for a 185 lb defenseman?
TK getting 1st line minutes (his lack of performance on the PP has limited his ST minutes).
Basically we're talking Sanheim as a rookie.

Myers isn't being "underused," he's being "over marinated" - get your derogatory terms correct.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Couturier isn’t overused, he’s used the right amount.

He gets a lot of minutes because he deserves them.

You’re over simplifying things. Weal is objectively more skilled than Raffl, but you would agree that Raffl should play more, correct? And he does play more.

Flip’s problem wasn’t lack of skill, he’s also more skilled than Raffl. But his legs and ability to drive play were gone last year.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You’re over simplifying things. Weal is objectively more skilled than Raffl, but you would agree that Raffl should play more, correct? And he does play more.
Curufinwe... you know exactly what I’m saying...

I’m talking about the egregious examples overuse and underuse. That’s why I listed those names.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’d have liked to see him used more, but again, I’m specifically talking about the most egregious examples.

Gudas, Raffl, Weal, etc werent misused to the extent the others were.

I’d have personally made adjustments in plenty of little cases of player usage all over the lineup, but the names I pointed out were ridiculous, borderline criminal, misuses of the past few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad