Prospect Info: Signed ELC Mar. 21, 2017: Mark Friedman, D , 5'11", 185 lbs., 2014 3rd round pick

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Last edited:

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The AHL coach is an idiot.

If Hextall wanted the issue forced, he'd play 100%. He clearly is fine with it too. Probably has to do with some BS about the playoffs. As if a highly talented d-man who spent 3 years in college couldn't help the team now and into the playoffs.....but an ECHL no talent d-man who is the coach's pet can. But Hextall is clearly OK with it.

He will play in a meaningless last game or two and then most likely watch the playoffs from above.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If Hextall wanted the issue forced, he'd play 100%. He clearly is fine with it too. Probably has to do with some BS about the playoffs. As if a highly talented d-man who spent 3 years in college couldn't help the team now and into the playoffs.....but an ECHL no talent d-man who is the coach's pet can. But Hextall is clearly OK with it.

He will play in a meaningless last game or two and then most likely watch the playoffs from above.

I get the impression that he really defers to his coaches - "his guys" - to a fault. I don't have much bad to say about Hexy ever, and that's not going to change no matter what happens, but this is a niggle of worry I have. He's placing his trust in untrustworthy dudes lol.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
I get the impression that he really defers to his coaches - "his guys" - to a fault. I don't have much bad to say about Hexy ever, and that's not going to change no matter what happens, but this is a niggle of worry I have. He's placing his trust in untrustworthy dudes lol.

Maybe (hopefully!) Hexy's the type to give his subordinates enough rope to hang themselves, and then judge them accordingly. At least that's what I tell myself when VDV is getting double-shifted in the last 2 minutes of a close game.

Last edited:

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I get not getting in your coaches' ways. You don't want to micromanage more than required because it's a turn-off. You hire guys for a reason, and that's to let them do their job. The issue is who he has put his faith in to not micromanage......because if there were ever a couple guys who needed micromanaging.......

One of your higher rated prospects signing an ELC and leaving college to do so is a little different though than just a normal roster decision. I truly don't understand what's happening, even from Hextall's POV. They don't even have a healthy roster. They just played 3 in 3 days. Friedman signed his ELC over 2 weeks ago, and I don't know if I've ever seen this long a wait to get into 1 game, an AHL game yet. Usually you jump to add top college prospects to your team over inferior talent.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Really worries me that Hakstol and Gordon have been Hextalls first two coaching hires. Both suck.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Really worries me that Hakstol and Gordon have been Hextalls first two coaching hires. Both suck.

As far as I know, Gordon has been a pretty close friend of Hexy's for a while, and Haksy coached Big Brett. I'm hoping that as a young GM, Hexy gets this out of his system and looks in a different direction next time, further afield and with a more ruthless or clinical eye. I'm hoping that very, very hard.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Whatever it is, Hexy better let them know what he expects from both suckers.

There is a damn reason we recupped the prospect pool but it doesn't make any sense if the Flyers don't make use of it.

I couldn't care less for all the VdV's, Bellemares, Mannings and Lamarches of the world. It's frustrating.

Phantoms are pretty much qualified and the Flyers plan their golf tournaments. There is not a single reason why the promising youngsters shouldn't play.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

really wish that Hextall could of convinced Mark Morris to coach the Phantoms. The connection is there. He was in Manchester when Morris was there and was really good with some of the Kings prospects and how he handled them.
He always got the most out of everyone on the teams he had. Many times his teams overachieved.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They interviewed Kris Knoblauch who's coached Erie the last few years. I'd have to think that guy might be trying move on to the AHL at this point as Erie's going to start over next year with DeBrincat & Strome moving on.

He coached Kooteny in the WHL prior to that. He won a championship there with Cody Eakin & Brayden McNabb. Probably a better gauge of his coaching ability than with McDavid, Strome, & Debrincat in Erie.

Maybe it wouldn't have worked but I still like the idea better of going with young unproven guys like that over the Scott Gordon's of the world.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
They interviewed Kris Knoblauch who's coached Erie the last few years. I'd have to think that guy might be trying move on to the AHL at this point as Erie's going to start over next year with DeBrincat & Strome moving on.

He coached Kooteny in the WHL prior to that. He won a championship there with Cody Eakin & Brayden McNabb. Probably a better gauge of his coaching ability than with McDavid, Strome, & Debrincat in Erie.

Maybe it wouldn't have worked but I still like the idea better of going with young unproven guys like that over the Scott Gordon's of the world.

I couldn't agree with you more if I tried.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe (hopefully!) Hexy's the type to give his subordinates enough rope to hang themselves, and then judge them accordingly. At least that's what I tell myself when VDV is getting double-shifted in the last 2 minutes of a close game.

He got Read's shift because Read had a broken arm.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
For the Phantoms, I definitly see the scratching of Friedman and the playing of vets over the young players as a way for Flyers as a organization to make up for the AHL money losses they gained over the past few years. They have probably made some decent losses over the years and with the new building, needed to make up some financial gain. The Phantoms winning brings in more people which in turn greatly increases the profit. If they make a longer playoff run, the more money they make.

Hex is allowing Gordon to play the vets more then the rookies since they are winning by doing this. Hex is the one that signed all of them, and you know he has Gordon's back by playing them. In my opinion, they are going all in on the AHL cup this season, with next year maybe allowing the rookies to play more. They will ride the AHL cup win, bringing the fans back next year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lamarche playing all three games on the weekend was ridiculous. One of those should have been used to get Friedman his debut. It makes no sense to have him in the ECHL most of the season, then call him up to play the most important games of the year ahead of Willcox and Friedman.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
For the Phantoms, I definitly see the scratching of Friedman and the playing of vets over the young players as a way for Flyers as a organization to make up for the AHL money losses they gained over the past few years. They have probably made some decent losses over the years and with the new building, needed to make up some financial gain. The Phantoms winning brings in more people which in turn greatly increases the profit. If they make a longer playoff run, the more money they make.

I don't think people would be as annoyed if O'Neill was healthy and Gordon was playing him ahead of Friedman till they locked up a playoff spot. O'Neill ain't popular around here, bit he is an actual AHL veteran and the Phantoms highest paid player so you wouldn't expect him to be benched for a college rookie.

Lamarche isn't even on an NHL contract so you won't find him on here.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I bumped this up I am interested in expectations for Friedman this coming season from those that have watched him play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->