Proposal: Sign Scott Gomez this week?

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
No thanks, he'll probably wind up in Jersey again given his history there, but yeah the Flyers have enough forwards anyway

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
He's getting paid by Montreal--I'd assume he will sign very, very cheap this season, hoping to resurrect his career.

I don't see a downside to offering him a low $ contract.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
why not take him on as a no-risk depth forward?
Perhaps he isn't the greatest fit for the Flyers system
You pretty much answered your own question.

I just think he's washed up. Psychologically if not also physically. He's been universally derided ever since the Rangers signed him, and that was five and a half years ago. That's a long time and it has to take its toll on your confidence and your outlook in general. I wouldn't trust someone like that to stay mentally focused deep into the playoffs. He's got locker room cancer written all over him.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Is Gomez even "legal?" Ok that was bad..

But seriously, why waste space on him....let's wait as the season goes on and see what turns up that has some real added value instead of "potential" which could turn out to be a potential bust more likely than not....

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
as a red wing fan, seeing lilja waived today has us like :shakehead, please dont do it

thought this was appropriate for you guys and Gomez :D

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I'd give him a whirl for one year at <= $2 million. Another assist man would only help the young guys point up the points. The only thing that really sucks is that Gomez now is crap on the faceoff dot.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
No more than 900,000 for 1yr. That'll be the new veteran minimum so that they can still be buried cap hit free in the minors

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
You pretty much answered your own question.

I don't think so. The other way to look at it is that he gives you more versatility. The Flyers had a huge puck possession problem against the Devils, for instance, and Gomez could have helped a little bit in that circumstance.

I don't see the downside.

bauer

I WANT GOALS
Nov 11, 2007
Have you? If you only focus on what players can't do, then a lot of skilled contributors are going to sneak right under your nose.

Gomez can still hang onto the puck and set up goals.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat..._s&f2=5v5&f7=30-&c=0+1+3+5+17+18+19+20#snip=f

Gomez_Fenwick.jpg

I think that's better than Zac Rinaldo's skill-set of flying around out of position and racking up penalty minutes.

if Gomez can't put up points anyone, which he obviously can't, why not use that roster spot for one of the younger players in the system? that would also cost the team less. giving Gomez over 1M/year (and i'm not convinced he gets that low a contract if he signs with someone) just to play 5 minutes/game on the 4th line is just a waste. he'd be nothing but a distraction on the team.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
if Gomez can't put up points anyone, which he obviously can't, why not use that roster spot for one of the younger players in the system? that would also cost the team less. giving Gomez over 1M/year (and i'm not convinced he gets that low a contract if he signs with someone) just to play 5 minutes/game on the 4th line is just a waste. he'd be nothing but a distraction on the team.

A ~$1M player as the 4th line center. Where's the distraction, here? It would be a far less distraction than being cruficied for a contract with a team that didn't even sign him. He also wasn't given good teammates to play with last year, although if he's penciled in for 4th line center, that wouldn't change much.

Also, he'll play more than 5 minutes. 5 minutes is what Rinaldo gets because he's not a real player. Our 4th line centers last year was generally either one of Talbot or Couturier, both of whom were over 15 minutes (partially because they moved up and down the lineup), and the year before Blair Betts was over 10 minutes per game. If Giroux plays 20 minutes, and Briere/Couturier/Read/Talbot/whoever split 30 minutes between 2 of them (as center), someone has to fill up the other 10 minutes.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Distraction is a very good word for it.

Some guys you bring in have a positive effect on team chemistry. Most are a wash. He'd almost definitely be a negative.

I'd put him in the category of "avoid at ALL COSTS".

bauer

I WANT GOALS
Nov 11, 2007
A ~$1M player as the 4th line center. Where's the distraction, here? It would be a far less distraction than being cruficied for a contract with a team that didn't even sign him. He also wasn't given good teammates to play with last year, although if he's penciled in for 4th line center, that wouldn't change much.

Also, he'll play more than 5 minutes. 5 minutes is what Rinaldo gets because he's not a real player. Our 4th line centers last year was generally either one of Talbot or Couturier, both of whom were over 15 minutes (partially because they moved up and down the lineup), and the year before Blair Betts was over 10 minutes per game. If Giroux plays 20 minutes, and Briere/Couturier/Read/Talbot/whoever split 30 minutes between 2 of them (as center), someone has to fill up the other 10 minutes.

i'd rather have Talbot or Wellwood centering our 4th line. and who says he's even signing for 1M anyway? if multiple teams are interested in him, he'll likely get a bit more than that. i don't get the fascination some people have with wanting him here. he's really not all that good anymore. i'd take a chance on Redden before i'd touch Gomez.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Some guys you bring in have a positive effect on team chemistry. Most are a wash. He'd almost definitely be a negative.

How exactly would it be negative? There isn't really a compelling argument made other than assuming he's probably a giant d-bag who couldn't live up to an old contract

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
i'd rather have Talbot or Wellwood centering our 4th line. and who says he's even signing for 1M anyway? if multiple teams are interested in him, he'll likely get a bit more than that. i don't get the fascination some people have with wanting him here. he's really not all that good anymore. i'd take a chance on Redden before i'd touch Gomez.

If Talbot is on the 4th line, then who is replacing him on the 3rd line? I don't see how the bottom 6 isn't better with Gomez in it rather than Rinaldo.

Basis?

I think Gomez would be a good third liner as mentioned by some above, but I don't really see the need for him.

There is always a need to get better. Last time I checked, the Flyers don't have a roster like the '84 Oilers. If Gomez is better than any of the Flyers 12 forwards, they should get better by signing him.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
he's probably a giant d-bag
Where the "D" stands for damaged.

One of the things I like the most about the present forward lineup is the configuration of veterans, youth, and leadership. I think it's a great combination, with lots of encouragement for young starters to continue to develop and and a great atmosphere for guys to come up if they're needed or if the brass thinks it's the right time. I wouldn't want this guy showing up and knocking that equilibrium all out of whack.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm missing the 'chemistry' angle. This is the time when you bring in new players - before the season (in general, this is a different kind of season, but regardless). The chemistry is already disrupted because three forwards are replacing three of our top 12 forwards from last year. Two defensemen will play Saturday that did not play against the Devils in the playoffs. The Flyers lost someone off their top line, and people are worried about a 10th forward imploding the chemistry of the team? The Flyers never subtract from the roster in-season, so just be prepared to have that defense reasoning ready to go if the team is struggling in March.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
You're limiting your definition of chemistry to only mean proven gelling between specific players. I'm talking about broader categories of players and their known qualities, and how I think they'll mix. I think Gomez will mix with this group like Bailey's and lime juice. No cottage turd soup for me thank you.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You're limiting your definition of chemistry to only mean proven gelling between specific players. I'm talking about broader categories of players and their known qualities, and how I think they'll mix. I think Gomez will mix with this group like Bailey's and lime juice. No cottage turd soup for me thank you.

Well, I respect if that's what you think, you just don't seem to have any basis for it.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
It's up there in #31. Did you miss it, or just think it's so crap it's not worth acknowledging. :P

If it's the latter, I guess I can respect that too.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I guess I could expound a little bit. He's been one of the posterboy scapegoats for overpaid underperforming, which certainly ties right in to the lockout and all the volatile emotions it's brought out in everyone. He's heading towards his finish line soon. I can't imagine there'd be any positive energy exuding from him and as a veteran, it's kind of instinctual for the young guys to look for that from one. My money would be on an attitude of jaded wormy excuse making and not much else.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
I think I would rather have Redden, honestly. Gomez seems done to me. He's like a 15G scorer at PEAK, do we really need another 9 goals in a 48 game season? I would rather have some defensive depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->