Sign Padakin. No Seriously, Jay, do it.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
Don't know much about him. Do we have room for him, or a need for him? Seems like he'd be nothing more than a 3rd/4th line RW plugger.

He feels a bit like that. Offensive upside is certainly too limited to many anything past bottom 6 I think. But he is one of the better defensive forwards available for draft if not the best (though, with the number of qualifiers in there, that is a fairly small crop of forwards that I'm looking at). He's fast, competitive, doesn't mind chirping, and can score a little.

The concern is a bit with need. The Flames have a decent glut of lower bottom line prospects. The top 6 forwards and top 3 D are what the Flames need to covet and fast. That's every team's desire, but the Flames are really lacking there even compared to them.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
He feels a bit like that. Offensive upside is certainly too limited to many anything past bottom 6 I think. But he is one of the better defensive forwards available for draft if not the best (though, with the number of qualifiers in there, that is a fairly small crop of forwards that I'm looking at). He's fast, competitive, doesn't mind chirping, and can score a little.

The concern is a bit with need. The Flames have a decent glut of lower bottom line prospects. The top 6 forwards and top 3 D are what the Flames need to covet and fast. That's every team's desire, but the Flames are really lacking there even compared to them.

I see where you are coming from, but at the same time someone on this board (I forget who) said in another thread, that you can never have too many assets.

So I think signing him wouldn't be a bad call. He could be a real pest and great team guy in our lineup, or a (hopefully not though) flip for a pick.

That or he could force another guy out of our org.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I see where you are coming from, but at the same time someone on this board (I forget who) said in another thread, that you can never have too many assets.

So I think signing him wouldn't be a bad call. He could be a real pest and great team guy in our lineup, or a (hopefully not though) flip for a pick.

You can have too many assets, especially when you're near the contract limit.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011

Agreed, as long as we don't hit a contract issue. This is something I think needs to be made at a Feaster and staff level: If they think his ELC will interfere with their ability to sign players coming up in the next few years, such as our draft prospects, then we shouldn't sign Padakin. There's a limited number of signed assets we can have.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Why not just sign him to an AHL deal. If there's a place for him and we need a guy of his particular talents, then we sign him to a two-way and call him up. Just like with Danny Taylor.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
he just did not stand out anyway the only invite we should sign vanbrabant (spelling?)

J Murda

Oct 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I think the Flames should keep an eyeball on him this season with the Hitmen (shouldn't be hard), and reassess this decision at the same time next year. If he continues to progress, which is seems like he is, and he genuinely wants to be a part of the organization, then definitely throw him a contract.

One thing I can't help think about though is that I can see Donbass Donetsk, a pretty rich KHL team in Ukraine offering him a lot more money than a AHL contract could offer so I think we should just wait it out a bit and see how he progresses.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I would give him a 2 year 2 way contract for something like 700k per. Why not? The kid plays hard, loves the city and wants to be part of the team, we need players like that in our organization. At the very least he could play 3rd or 4th line in abbotsford.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
real pest that you hate to play against but would love to be on your team

him and ferland would piss the other team right off

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't think Padakin played poorly. I don't think he played well enough for an NHL contract either. He's not my top invite for the camp, lets put it that way.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
Why not just sign him to an AHL deal. If there's a place for him and we need a guy of his particular talents, then we sign him to a two-way and call him up. Just like with Danny Taylor.

Padakin is 19. I don't think CHL players can sign AHL contracts at that age.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
I don't think Padakin played poorly. I don't think he played well enough for an NHL contract either. He's not my top invite for the camp, lets put it that way.

I really like Josh Jooris. He showed some skills during the practices and was fun to watch during the practice afterwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad