Proposal: Sign Jonathan Dahlen?

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Dahlen did not get a QO. Personally I think it might be a jackpot oppurtunity if the yotes could sign him a a fairly low price. The kid is very talented for sure. He was considered to be more talented than Elias Pettersson when they were young. The question for me is: does he have the mentality that is required?

For me he is a low risk/high reward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
The way Mike Grier decided to completely roast the kid on the way out is probably a bad sign for both the kid and for Mike Grier.

^ ouch. Very spicy. Needlessly spicy. Noob GM goes to 11 for absolutely no reason.

I mean, he is probably not 100% wrong. But sometimes it comes with maturity. Dahlen will most likely not become a top player in the leauge, but maybe a decent 2nd line alternative.

Reactions: Prarievarg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The way Mike Grier decided to completely roast the kid on the way out is probably a bad sign for both the kid and for Mike Grier.

^ ouch. Very spicy. Needlessly spicy. Noob GM goes to 11 for absolutely no reason.

Well, as most of us "olda boys" know, Mike Grier played a "hard" game himself, so that's what he's looking for with his club as GM.

Problem is, when a guy is monomaniacal about "his type" of player, a lot of good role players can get lost in the shuffle. Letting Dahlen go might be one of those tunnel-vision deals that another franchise could quickly benefit from.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well, as most of us "olda boys" know, Mike Grier played a "hard" game himself, so that's what he's looking for with his club as GM.

Problem is, when a guy is monomaniacal about "his type" of player, a lot of good role players can get lost in the shuffle. Letting Dahlen go might be one of those tunnel-vision deals that another franchise could quickly benefit from.
I remember Grier well. I’m in my late 30s, so I was around for his career. The I’m not criticizing Grier for making the choice to move on from Dahlen. It’s the unnecessary comments that raise my eyebrow.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I remember Grier well. I’m in my late 30s, so I was around for his career. The I’m not criticizing Grier for making the choice to move on from Dahlen. It’s the unnecessary comments that raise my eyebrow.

For me, it's part and parcel of his player days. Grier was the "punisher" and he did a lot of chirping on the ice and from the bench. Doesn't surprise me at all that he hasn't modified his style as an executive.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
For me, it's part and parcel of his player days. Grier was the "punisher" and he did a lot of chirping on the ice and from the bench. Doesn't surprise me at all that he hasn't modified his style as an executive.
Right. My only point is there is nothing to gain for anyone involved by kicking the kid in the ass on the way out. I don’t think executives should say things publicly that aren’t profitable.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
When I look at Dahlen, I see a small guy who maybe or maybe doesn't have super high-end skill, and whom Mike Grier just skewered as not having a high enough compete level. Whether Grier knows what the hell he's talking about remains to be seen, but nothing about this guy feels like a Bill Armstrong player. At all.

Also, I'd love to do a study about European players who come to North America, struggle, then go back home in their early 20's, light it up there a few years, then come BACK to the NHL. Purely off the top of my head, Alexander Radulov in Dallas is the only one I can think of who had success coming back to the NHL, and Radulov had already had success as a 20 yr old in NA before he went back to Russia for his mid- to late-20's. Surely there are tons more, but it's such a weird career path that I wonder whether or not he's willing to do what it takes to succeed in North America.

Nothing about this guy sounds like a Bill Armstrong player.

Edit: Val Nichushkin too. Stunning what Colorado is paying him. He's mediocre.

Last edited:
Reactions: rt

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Right. My only point is there is nothing to gain for anyone involved by kicking the kid in the ass on the way out. I don’t think executives should say things publicly that aren’t profitable.

I agree with you. And it may end up lighting a fire under Dahlen that the Sharks will come to regret in the near future.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Exactly...he should have said that "we wanted to go in a different direction", or something like that. Rookie move as a GM. Compliment in public, criticize in private. Words to live by.

Reactions: Fyreman and Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Exactly...he should have said that "we wanted to go in a different direction", or something like that. Rookie move as a GM. Compliment in public, criticize in private. Words to live by.

100%

SJ is in for a long and painful decade. As dumb as PHI is being this offseason they have a slew of mid tier prospects hitting the lineup and if the Torts experiment doesn't work they have pieces to sell in a couple years. SJ has three of the worst contract in the league, and if Hertl starts to slow down you can add a 4th. Too good to tank, too bad to be good but this situation could last several more seasons. They have a new GM who just traded the 11OA and hasn't started to get his guys in scouting and management roles. Who knows if any of their last couple draft selections are going to be his guys. From these comments I'm not sure what Grier will think of Eklund.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad