Sign Jagr

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I think that VGK could use another Veteran presence, and a hard working mentor for the young guys. Jagr is looking for a new team and I'm sure he would love it in Vegas where he could probably stay seated in a middle 6 role. I'm not sure his asking price at this point, maybe closer to 4m for a year?

What do you guys think?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think if they're looking for veteran leadership there's a few better options that they've passed on.

I don't know that Jagr is the way, I wouldn't be unhappy if they signed him though.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I think if they're looking for veteran leadership there's a few better options that they've passed on.

I don't know that Jagr is the way, I wouldn't be unhappy if they signed him though.

In terms of players, I think there are better options, but just the name Jagr could help this new VGK team.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think they've got all the names they need for now with Fleury, Engelland, and Neal.

They could use some guys in the dressing room for sure, but I don't know about throwing the dough toward Jagr for that reason. There's little chance he's still here when it's time to win, so it seems like a waste to me.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I think they've got all the names they need for now with Fleury, Engelland, and Neal.
Engelland is a name?

Jagr wants only 1-year deals. Sign him and trade him before the deadline and gain a prospect or pick for chump change from the billionaire's pocket.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Engelland is a name in Las Vegas for people that have paid attention to Las Vegas hockey pre-2015. He's not selling tickets to casual fans, but there's plenty of locals that make the connection. There's a reason they did what they did with him.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Engelland is a name in Las Vegas for people that have paid attention to Las Vegas hockey pre-2015. He's not selling tickets to casual fans, but there's plenty of locals that make the connection. There's a reason they did what they did with him.

I understand your mindset, and agree with you in terms of the locals, but if you're a casual fan who's watched hockey in the past 25 years, you know the name Jagr, you know the mullet, and he's still pretty good for 45.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I don't see the need. I was always under the impression that Jagr didn't want to play in the West because of all the travel anyway.

The whole "Vegas needs a name to get fans" idea is overblown. It's a new team - the first major pro team in town - so people will be going to games and paying attention regardless. The fact that we'll have Fleury in net is all the name recognition we'll need for the inaugural season, which will have enough fanfare as it is.

I don't see McPhee being active at all in signing UFA's, seeing as how we still need to move some of the players we got in the expansion draft.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I think Jagr would be perfect fit.

All he wants to do is play, he's great persona and the VGK are DEFINITELY tanking anyway ;)

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
If he actually wants to sign in Vegas I think it would be a smart move to take him on a 1 year deal and trade at around the deadline

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If he actually wants to sign in Vegas I think it would be a smart move to take him on a 1 year deal and trade at around the deadline

Nobody's calling him now, what more value does he have at the deadline?

I get why a team would want him in theory, I don't know why the Knights are the right place for him.

ETA: Other than the "nothing to lose" thing, which I would say a few other teams also have.

Last edited:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Nobody's calling him now, what more value does he have at the deadline?

I get why a team would want him in theory, I don't know why the Knights are the right place for him.

ETA: Other than the "nothing to lose" thing, which I would say a few other teams also have.

The "no teams calling me" was proven false by his agent. Or at least, he claims it is.

I think the nothing to lose thing is a valid argument. If he puts up a pace of about 50 points as a secondary scorer, he would be very valuable at the deadline.

I could see a 2nd + prospect coming back, and all it would cost Vegas is money up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad