Proposal: Sign Antoine Vermette as a UFA after this season?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I want to stress the speculation prefix because this is literally just based on a thought I had recently. However, I think it's something that may make sense for the Bruins to do for a number of reasons.

1. The landscape at the center position for the Bruins is completely up in the air after this season. 3 of the 4 current centers (Krejci, Soderberg and Campbell) are UFAs, and while I'd be absolutely shocked if none of the 3 are back, it's still a possibility as the choice is completely up to the players. What would be surprising though is that all 3 come back and the Bruins enter the 2015/16 season with the same 4 centers. While it's not reasonable to expect Vermette to sign on the team in addition to guys like Krejci and Soderberg as well, the Bruins have the flexibility to consider signing him.

2. Vermette is an Ottawa guy. It's no secret that Chiarelli likes going back to guys he had on the Senators when he was there. Chiarelli joined Ottawa in 1999 and was their Assistant GM from 2004-2006. Vermette was drafted by Ottawa in 2000, played in Binghamton in 2002/03, and with Ottawa from 2003/04-2008/09.

3. Vermette and Bergeron are apparently good friends and have been training together in the offseason for years. I think it might be a legitimate selling point to come play with the Bruins with Bergeron locked up for the next 7 years.

4. He fits the mold of the type of player Bruins management likes. Sort of think of him as Bergeron-lite in what he's able to do on the ice. Here's a recent article where Coyotes coach Dave Tippett compares Vermette to Bergeron:

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/465006

So, a couple questions for the posters here. Would you be interested in signing Vermette as a UFA after this season? And, do you think it's a reasonable signing to make considering the cap and the make-up of this team?

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I want to stress the speculation prefix because this is literally just based on a thought I had recently. However, I think it's something that may make sense for the Bruins to do for a number of reasons.

1. The landscape at the center position for the Bruins is completely up in the air after this season. 3 of the 4 current centers (Krejci, Soderberg and Campbell) are UFAs, and while I'd be absolutely shocked if none of the 3 are back, it's still a possibility as the choice is completely up to the players. What would be surprising though is that all 3 come back and the Bruins enter the 2015/16 season with the same 4 centers. While it's not reasonable to expect Vermette to sign on the team in addition to guys like Krejci and Soderberg as well, the Bruins have the flexibility to consider signing him.

2. Vermette is an Ottawa guy. It's no secret that Chiarelli likes going back to guys he had on the Senators when he was there. Chiarelli joined Ottawa in 1999 and was their Assistant GM from 2004-2006. Vermette was drafted by Ottawa in 2000, played in Binghamton in 2002/03, and with Ottawa from 2003/04-2008/09.

3. Vermette and Bergeron are apparently good friends and have been training together in the offseason for years. I think it might be a legitimate selling point to come play with the Bruins with Bergeron locked up for the next 7 years.

4. He fits the mold of the type of player Bruins management likes. Sort of think of him as Bergeron-lite in what he's able to do on the ice. Here's a recent article where Coyotes coach Dave Tippett compares Vermette to Bergeron:

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/465006

So, a couple questions for the posters here. Would you be interested in signing Vermette as a UFA after this season? And, do you think it's a reasonable signing to make considering the cap and the make-up of this team?

I think he'll fetch too much considering what his role would be on the team. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I don't think it's particularly likely.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I have faith in soderberg and spooner... if krejci returns we are overloaded with centers... but even if he doesnt i want to see what our guys can do. If we go ufa shopping lets target a rh shot winger with 30+goal capability

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
long been a Vermette fan, and no doubt he has that Chia connection but if he backs up his 45 pt season last year, he`ll be pricey the way things are with summer contracts

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I like Vermette as a third line center, good player but it would be tough to see him as a fit here. If Krejci and Soda left I could get behind it but I can't see any other way. If we lost one of Krejci or Soda I'd still want to give Spooner the third line center job, whether he could handle it or be a full time NHL player should be determined this coming season. Vermette should command 4+ next season (depending on this year) and I'm not even sure if that fits PC's price tag for a third line center.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Picked him in a lower echelon draft on the 'all-time draft' board after researching him.

752 games / 181 goals / 214 assists / 395 points / 0.53 pts per game / +2 / 413 PIMs / 33 PP / 21 SH
- 4x 20+ goal scorer
- Plays on both specialty teams
- 4 seasons with Selke Award votes / 1 season Lady Byng
- Excellent face-off man (2nd in total faceoffs / 9th in total percentage / 1st in SH percentage last season)
- still averages decent minutes (19:13 TOI last season)
- has played every game in the last 5 seasons
- has World Championships experience
- currently makes $3.75MIL/season

According to Capgeek, the B's have to shed $800K to reach the cap for this upcoming season and still have 3 RFAs yo sign (Krug, Potter, Smith).

There'll be a big changeover the following season for sure. A solid player but as much as i like him, will he command too much? Especially if noted, he puts up decent numbers again. He could take Campbell's spot but he currently makes twice as much as him right now.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I know he's good buddies with Bergy and would give us a better well rounded player for the 3rd line then Paille next year; but I think he'd cost too much for that roll.

That being said, I heard Phoenix was keen on re-signing him this season.

strongbad

Apr 22, 2007
I thought that Vermette and Kelly were really good friends. Wasn't one of them the best man to the other's wedding?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad