Confirmed with Link: Siegenthaler to NJ for 2021 3rd Rounder (Arizona pick)

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
What on Earth? The Caps have been one of the better draft teams in the league over the last decade+.
Have they though? I know that's the often cited reputation of the team but is it actually true? Caps had to go out and sign or trade for Hagelin, Dowd, Hathaway, Panik, Sheary, Sprong, Dillon, Schultz, Chara, Jensen, Kempny, Ludqvist, Anderson. That's A LOT of middling players. I'm not even going to include the likes of Oshie or Eller on that list, as that caliber of player is legitimately difficult to draft and develop, especially for a very competitive team. Why do Caps keep going out and paying salary premium for bottom-6 forwards and average defensemen, if they are so good at drafting?

It's not like Caps have been stock piling blue chip prospects. Our prospect pool is typically ranked right at the bottom of the league. I'm not kidding. Of all the players we drafted since 2015, Siegenthlaler has had by far the greatest impact on the team to this point and he is a 3rd paring defensive d-man who we just gave away for pittance. Frankly, things were not much better before 2015. Caps struggle to produce impactful players past the 1st round.

It is what it is and when the team has the likes of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuztnetsov, etc., it's not that big of a deal. Still, would be real nice not to have to go out and trade for say Dillon and have his $3.9m on the books for another four years.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Have they though? I know that's the often cited reputation of the team but is it actually true? Caps had to go out and sign or trade for Hagelin, Dowd, Hathaway, Panik, Sheary, Sprong, Dillon, Schultz, Chara, Jensen, Kempny, Ludqvist, Anderson. That's A LOT of middling players. I'm not even going to include the likes of Oshie or Eller on that list, as that caliber of player is legitimately difficult to draft and develop, especially for a very competitive team. Why do Caps keep going out and paying salary premium for bottom-6 forwards and average defensemen, if they are so good at drafting?

It's not like Caps have been stock piling blue chip prospects. Our prospect pool is typically ranked right at the bottom of the league. I'm not kidding. Of all the players we drafted since 2015, Siegenthlaler has had by far the greatest impact on the team to this point and he is a 3rd paring defensive d-man who we just gave away for pittance. Frankly, things were not much better before 2015. Caps struggle to produce impactful players past the 1st round.

It is what it is and when the team has the likes of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuztnetsov, etc., it's not that big of a deal. Still, would be real nice not to have to go out and trade for say Dillon and have his $3.9m on the books for another four years.
They’ve traded middling drafted players and picks for the likes of Oshie, Eller, and Kempny to name a few. They’ve turned their later picks into core pieces. And they’ve had a few promising D prospects undone by injuries. 5 Caps-drafted goalies are now NHL regulars. I think their reputation is well earned. Filling your roster with bottom 6/third pair draftees is only one effective way to use assets.

AZ Caps Fan

Sep 8, 2019
High Desert

It's not like Caps have been stock piling blue chip prospects. Our prospect pool is typically ranked right at the bottom of the league. I'm not kidding. Of all the players we drafted since 2015, Siegenthlaler has had by far the greatest impact on the team to this point and he is a 3rd paring defensive d-man who we just gave away for pittance. Frankly, things were not much better before 2015. Caps struggle to produce impactful players past the 1st round......

How many have even played yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad