Confirmed with Link: Siegenthaler to NJ for 2021 3rd Rounder (Arizona pick)

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Lets not get excited about Kempny. He was getting scratched before this latest injury. He has torn a hamstring and an achilles. I will be pleasantly surprised if he is ever a viable NHL player again.
So you’d feel more comfortable with Kempny as the #9 defenseman and not #8 at the risk of team morale (where you don’t reward Kempny with what is universally recognized as the most difficult rehab and don’t give Sieg an opportunity) and a 3rd round pick?

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Not a terrible trade... but wish they had ditched Dillon instead... but not sure we could give him away right now...

Jun 15, 2007
I don't think Siege is all that good but I still think the value in this trade is wrong.

And don't say this was done for cap space. There is practically no cap space gain at all. Any time you trade someone on the roster making minimum or near minimum you gain no cap space.

Reactions: max21

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
First thought. Are we sellers?? WTH. Why trade a young D for a pick?
But then yes, like others said, certainly this is a cap trade and GMBM will work on something big.

At least I hope we will go after a very good piece after trading a young player.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
First thought. Are we sellers?? WTH. Why trade a young D for a pick?

We need cap space for an incoming trade (Foligno, apparently, possibly), and we’ve run out of players we could move to the taxi squad without likely losing them to waivers. Siegenthaler clearly isn’t a Lavi player, and the Caps considered the likelihood of him playing this season over Dillon, Orlov and Chara, and next year over them and Kempny/Fehevary, made it unfair to keep him on nacho duty.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
With the savings from Panik, I believe this gives the Caps enough cap space to trade Vanacek for Bernier with 50% salary retained plus make an additional trade for either Glendening or Laughton with 50% salary retained.
I'd prefer them to go out on their shield with the Van than trade him for a bum like Bernier and go out anyways.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I'd prefer them to go out on their shield with the Van than trade him for a bum like Bernier and go out anyways.
Trading Vanecek - especially to replace him with a guy who’s barely, if at all, an upgrade - sure wouldn’t impact locker room morale after all he’s done for the team this year... yikes.

Given he’s starting again tonight, I’d like to think there’s no chance he’s being shipped out.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Trading Vanecek - especially to replace him with a guy who’s barely, if at all, an upgrade - sure wouldn’t impact locker room morale after all he’s done for the team this year... yikes.

Given he’s starting again tonight, I’d like to think there’s no chance he’s being shipped out.
Yeah I think they lean towards him as the man at this point of the season.

Reactions: HecticGlow

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So you’d feel more comfortable with Kempny as the #9 defenseman and not #8 at the risk of team morale (where you don’t reward Kempny with what is universally recognized as the most difficult rehab and don’t give Sieg an opportunity) and a 3rd round pick?

I am sorry. What?? Kempny is being rewarded for rehabbing an injury with a healthy scratch? I dont see any difference between being the 8 and the 9. I do know that Kempny was never good at what Seigenthaler was good at and I have no knowledge that while skating that Kempny is anywhere near playing in an NHL game

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I am sorry. What?? Kempny is being rewarded for rehabbing an injury with a healthy scratch? I dont see any difference between being the 8 and the 9. I do know that Kempny was never good at what Seigenthaler was good at and I have no knowledge that while skating that Kempny is anywhere near playing in an NHL game

Siegenthaler wasn't good at anything. Kempny "wasn't good" at standing in the diamond and screening our goalie all game because he could actually skate to places on the ice.

Reactions: racingmoose

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If Sieg stays on the roster and they don’t make another move on D how does it play out? 98% they play Sieg 2 games max and never activate Kempny. If you say what about that 2z even if Kempny is completely washed how worse than Sieg could be possibly be 5 on 5, and somebody else can PK.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Not a terrible trade... but wish they had ditched Dillon instead... but not sure we could give him away right now...

My thought is that Dillon will most likely be the sacrifice to the Kraken gods this summer. He has said before that he loves the area over there and played there on the Seattle Thunderbirds when he was in the WHL.

Oshie isn't the only one with ties to the Seattle area.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Sieg stays on the roster and they don’t make another move on D how does it play out? 98% they play Sieg 2 games max and never activate Kempny. If you say what about that 2z even if Kempny is completely washed how worse than Sieg could be possibly be 5 on 5, and somebody else can PK.

Kempny would not be activated off LTIR til the regular season is over regardless. He being 8 or 9 wouldn't effect being activated as there is no roster limit. Kempny playing a game would mean the team needed a defenseman of Kempny's skills rather than Seigenthaler's because they are different skill sets.

So, IMO Seigenthaler being there being there or not has no effect on whether he is activated. I would suggest to you that if the Caps suddenly need a left defenseman for, say, game 3 of the first round of playoffs, Fehervary would get the game.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
My thought is that Dillon will most likely be the sacrifice to the Kraken gods this summer. He has said before that he loves the area over there and played there on the Seattle Thunderbirds when he was in the WHL.

Oshie isn't the only one with ties to the Seattle area.

I can't believe they'd want him... BUT... would be happy for you to be right :)

Reactions: tenken00

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Good luck to Siegs. Really difficult year for him. Sitting in the press box for the whole season couldn't have done him any good.

Wish we drafted better. 2nd round pick, 6 freaking years in development and 3rd round pick back. And he is one of the 'success' stories...
What on Earth? The Caps have been one of the better draft teams in the league over the last decade+.

Reactions: Calicaps and txpd

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
With the savings from Panik, I believe this gives the Caps enough cap space to trade Vanacek for Bernier with 50% salary retained plus make an additional trade for either Glendening or Laughton with 50% salary retained.

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks it's the height of stupidity to get rid of Vanacek and replace him with Bernier.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
GMBM got his adult Siege in Dillon. Once Chara fell into his lap it was kinda logical to expect Siege to lose his slot.

Hopefully Fever and AA are ready next year.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Siege doesn’t fit Lavi’s system. He wants more speed and offense in there. Fever doesn’t score a lot but he is fast and has a good reach. Gets up and down the ice. Alexyev has good wheels too at 6’4. And more offensive upside.

This a good deal as is. Would love to see kicker on there tomorrow!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->