Confirmed with Link: Siegenthaler to NJ for 2021 3rd Rounder (Arizona pick)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Thought they might hold on to him as a depth PKing piece depending on what happens to Dillon/Chara. Fine value coming back for an extra, though, and eventually the LD prospects will need to play.

Reactions: Calicaps

Jun 15, 2007
I don't like the value coming back but what do I know?

A 7th defenseman who is a veteran and UFA would be worth a 3rd round pick. A 7th defenseman with potential to grow should be worth more.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Howdy. Anyone can provide a good synopsis on this player? Haven’t really watched him before.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I don't like the value coming back but what do I know?

A 7th defenseman who is a veteran and UFA would be worth a 3rd round pick. A 7th defenseman with potential to grow should be worth more.
A UFA veteran would bring more guaranteed value than Siegenthaler at this point. Teams don't often pay up for potential, especially 6 years after they were drafted.

He's undoubtedly lost value since being a second round pick, I would have guessed a 4th or 5th round pick.

I think this is a good move.

Reactions: racingmoose

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Second rounders are usually hit or miss, we spend 6 years developing one who actually hits then we dump him for a mid 3rd round pick? Seems like complete total shit value to me. Wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade though.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Howdy. Anyone can provide a good synopsis on this player? Haven’t really watched him before.
Tall defensive defenseman who can skate well. Not going to wow you but pretty solid and can move the puck decently IIRC.

Don’t think his potential is anything higher than a decent #4 but he always held his own as a young defenseman on a contending team.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
He has the potential to be a good defensive defenseman. There's no real issues with his game other than on the offensive side. But even then he's a decent enough skater and he seems like he's fairly hockey smart.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Second rounders are usually hit or miss, we spend 6 years developing one who actually hits then we dump him for a mid 3rd round pick? Seems like complete total shit value to me. Wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade though.

How did he hit...?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
uhhh. A big body "stay at home defensemen". I think he's strictly a bottom pairing guy, who can give you some PK minutes, but nothing world-breaking.

I don't think he was that good, but he can fill some minutes if a team needs them.

Tall defensive defenseman who can skate well. Not going to wow you but pretty solid and can move the puck decently IIRC.

Don’t think his potential is anything higher than a decent #4 but he always held his own as a young defenseman on a contending team.

He has the potential to be a good defensive defenseman. There's no real issues with his game other than on the offensive side. But even then he's a decent enough skater and he seems like he's fairly hockey smart.
Much obliged! I’m guessing he will take on Kulikovs role once we trade him.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don’t like the move, personally. Value is whatever but he’s going to be a solid stay at home defenseman. I guess LD is a logjam but who steps in this year if one of their defensemen get hurt? And really what does a third round pick do for this team? It’s another asset for them and one less contract on the books plus a little cap relief but seems kind of dumb to make this trade right now unless another move is coming. This seems like something they could have done around the draft.

Big, strong defensive defenseman. Very physical in front of the net and along the boards. Long reach and solid positionally. Very good shot blocker and strong on the PK.

On the flip side, he’s kind of a plodder when it comes to skating. Not very mobile and can struggle against speed. Not the best puck handler and will provide almost no offense, despite having a decent shot.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Good luck to Siegs. Really difficult year for him. Sitting in the press box for the whole season couldn't have done him any good.

Wish we drafted better. 2nd round pick, 6 freaking years in development and 3rd round pick back. And he is one of the 'success' stories...

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I don’t like the move, personally. Value is whatever but he’s going to be a solid stay at home defenseman. I guess LD is a logjam but who steps in this year if one of their defensemen get hurt?

Big, strong defensive defenseman. Very physical in front of the net and along the boards. Long reach and solid positionally. Very good shot blocker and strong on the PK.

On the flip side, he’s kind of a plodder when it comes to skating. Not very mobile and can struggle against speed. Not the best puck handler and will provide almost no offense, despite having a decent shot.

I could be wrong (I usually am haha) but i dont think GMBM would just trade away depth without another move coming

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It’s fine, assuming another trade for a significant piece happens by tomorrow. I won’t like it quite as much if it’s just to clear cap space to acquire some depth guy or a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->