Sidney Crosby's stats at 15 y.o

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I'm curious to see what some of you guys think about this subject? What if the CHL would have allowed Sidney Crosby to play in the QMJHL during the 2002-2003 season when he was 15 years old. Obviously he would have been selected 1st overall by the Halifax Mooseheads (I think they picked 1st that year), Would he have been the first 15 year old to win the CHL scoring titles & MVP Awards, Would he have been the first 15 year old to ever play in the World Jr's? What kind of stats do you think Sidney would have put up goals,assists,points when he was 15?

Scenario 2:
What if Sid opted to play Canadian junior A that season instead of going to Shattuck. What kinda of stats could he have put up.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I'm curious to see what some of you guys think about this subject? What if the CHL would have allowed Sidney Crosby to play in the QMJHL during the 2002-2003 season when he was 15 years old. Obviously he would have been selected 1st overall by the Halifax Mooseheads (I think they picked 1st that year), Would he have been the first 15 year old to win the CHL scoring titles & MVP Awards, Would he have been the first 15 year old to ever play in the World Jr's? What kind of stats do you think Sidney would have put up goals,assists,points when he was 15?

Scenario 2:
What if Sid opted to play Canadian junior A that season instead of going to Shattuck. What kinda of stats could he have put up.

Without question he would have been picked 1st. He would not have been MVP or won the scoring title.

Definitely could have played in the World Juniors at 15...

...if he changed nationalities to Swiss, German or Belarusian.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Without question he would have been picked 1st. He would not have been MVP or won the scoring title.

Definitely could have played in the World Juniors at 15...

...if he changed nationalities to Swiss, German or Belarusian.

I think he would have contended for the scoring title. Considering the way he dominated the next year, I think he would have been in the mix, but not surprised he got edged out. MVP would be a real stretch.

Agreed on the Juniors. He wasn't a lock to make the team his first year in the Q. IMHO, for a stretch Hockey Canada got a little too caught up in having guys who could do this or do that, and forget about needing hockey players. It's why Corey Perry ends up making the team as a 13th forward in his last year of eligibility. The only thing he does really well is, play hockey. His skating is questionable, does he hit...he just ended up being their best player in that tournament. No way Crosby makes it in that environment as a 15 year old.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He was flying all over the place in the 2004 WJC. He looked very good a sign of things to come. Take a year off and I think he still has a shot at the team. This is Crosby we are talking about by the way. Not a regular rookie/eventual first overall pick. There is a lot of growing and maturing between the ages of 15-16 though so that might have been an issue to make the WJC. But the QMJHL? Sure no problem. I think he hits 100 points at that time as well. He was MVP and scoring leader at only 16 years old (and 17). He'd have been in the mix at that time also.

Hey look if Tavares can score 45 goals when he's 15 years old...........

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If a regular star like Jason Spezza could have handled the OHL at about a PPG clip at the age of 15, I'm pretty sure Crosby could have topped that as a 15 year old.

Seanconn*

Sid didn't play for a reason. who knows maybe that would have given him too much of an ego, who the hell knows. obviously the kid could have put up some crazy number though.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Sid didn't play for a reason. who knows maybe that would have given him too much of an ego, who the hell knows. obviously the kid could have put up some crazy number though.

I believe he tried but got rejected to play as a 15 year old

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
From arguably the best Crosby article on the web:

When, at 14, Crosby ransacked Midget AAA opponents for an absurd 193 points in 74 games, his parents grew frightened. Men in the stands, frustrated at the way Crosby overshadowed their sons, would yell about breaking his neck, how he was going to get killed; come game time, Sidney found himself slashed, punched, hammered from behind. Such ugliness was one reason the family decided that he should leave the country, and at 15 he shipped out to Shattuck--St. Mary's boarding school in Faribault, Minn.

Link: Sports Illustrated, February 2010

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
From arguably the best Crosby article on the web:

Link: Sports Illustrated, February 2010

It is really scary what lengths people will go to. At least some blame goes to coaches, who tell their players to get a star player out of the game. Probably some people who live vicariously through their kids and can't stand to see that someone might be better than their little Johnny. Maybe I'm too far removed, but it doesn't seem to me that football or basketball phenoms in the US get that kind of treatment....but god forbid you are a Crosby-type phenom, you cannot be allowed to be successful.

Of course, those same people who wanted him dead back then now call themselves his biggest fans and were all agog at the Stanley Cup coming to NS last summer.....

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
how about points in the NHL at 17 had he been allowed?

That would have been something so if he had 81 GP-39 G-63 A-102 Points at 18 then I'd say something like this 81 GP-30 G-52 82 Points at 17. How about if he played 1 more season in the Q, I'd say 200 points then.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00