Sidney Crosby vs Connor McDavid - This year Only

Crosby or McDavid this year only - who do you pick for a playoff run, and a combo playoff/season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Which series was he limited by the other team or played poorly independent of coaching?

Honestly before Guentzal came along Crosby's prior few playoff performances were pretty meh. His 2016 playoffs he was just another cog in a well oiled machine but he didn't stand out. Crazy that he won the CS.

That being said, I would still take Crosby in the playoff scenario because he and Guentzal appear to be money together.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I mean you can make a case for McDavid over Crosby if you want - but using "3rd on his team scoring" is really weak. He played less games and is like 1 point away lol.

Looking no furhter than Kessel and Malkin still - they were GREAT in the playoffs for the last 3 years. But *each* of the last 3 years? No, not really. Crosby has been consistently great in each playoff 3 years running. That's much harder, and rare. If you pick Crosby for playoffs it's because it's almost a sure thing you'll get a very very strong performance. Can McDavid outdo him? Yes, super talented. Can McDavid come up short very easily? Yes. I think Crosby is more of a sure thing, and McDavid slightly more of a gamble for playoffs.
I don’t think that’s weak at all. I can The arguably “best player” and playoff performer not even lead his team in the regular season or even post season for the most part? What’s more weak is using playoff play for Crosby knowing McDavid has a dumpster fire of a team, only to then sight “leadership” as a reason why he couldn’t get his team. It’s all to benefit Crosby.

Malkin has had one bad run due to injuries where he finished 1 point behind Crosby, while Kessel out produced Crosby that same year(2016). The problem is Crosby has NEVER lead his team in production in any of their cup victories. Consistent? Sure, but that goes to show you that even the supposed best player still needs that kind of support. Malkin injuries last season with Kessel dropping the ball in the playoffs last season is a huge reason for that team not making it further, Crosby can only do so much....but he has a much better supporting cast to compliment his play than McDavid. We need to give him more time to gain playoff experience and maybe the Oilers will actually make moves to improve the team. Even when Crosby made the finals in ‘08, he still had Malkin come into his own with Hossa on his wing that post season. He also missed 24 games. But the Pens were still a playoff team because of Malkin. IMO you need both to win a cup, until McDavid gets that kind of help, we have to wait and see

Last edited:
Reactions: Future GOAT

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Honestly before Guentzal came along Crosby's prior few playoff performances were pretty meh. His 2016 playoffs he was just another cog in a well oiled machine but he didn't stand out. Crazy that he won the CS.

That being said, I would still take Crosby in the playoff scenario because he and Guentzal appear to be money together.
No, Crosby was clearly the best player for the Penguins in 2016 if you actually watched all the games. I expected the CS to go to Kessel due to his point totals but Crosby was deserving. Your points are going to suffer when you have a .25 ppg winger in Sheary on your line who routinely would underperform in the postseason.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think it's very likely that McDavid playing in Pittsburgh could match or surpass Crosby in the playoffs, I don't think regular season Crosby is very likely to match McDavid though. Realistically you should take the better player for both, but if there is anyone I would take before McDavid it would be Crosby, I'm just not sure that would be the correct choice.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Crosby looks to be back in form. Also has a more seasoned all around game. So Crosby
I always wonder what people mean by this type of statement. Both players have aspects of their game that don't show up on the score sheet that they do better than the other. Crosby controls and protects the puck better on the cycle and is better at out muscling guys in puck battles and is better at faceoffs. McDavid is the best player in the league at controlled zone exits and entries, and is better than Crosby at stealing pucks off guys. Their play away from the puck while stylistically quite different is not noticeably different in terms of results.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
No, Crosby was clearly the best player for the Penguins in 2016 if you actually watched all the games. I expected the CS to go to Kessel due to his point totals but Crosby was deserving. Your points are going to suffer when you have a .25 ppg winger in Sheary on your line who routinely would underperform in the postseason.
Clearly? Nothing clear about that post season. Crosby was incredibly underwhelming that entire post season. It’s abour “watching the games”, if that’s really the only evidence you have to suggest he was better, it’s pretty weak. It shouldn’t be that difficult to prove, but it is and that’s really the point.

Kessels line was the biggest difference maker a majority of the playoffs. While Murray played amazing. Even Letang was stellar. The Smythe voting was close enough that if really did come down to a toss up, and they weren’t going to give it to a 2nd line winged, or a rookie goaltender. Malkin was injured and playing on the third line, so Crosby was the biggest name....while probably being the most inconsistent. He dropped the ball hard in round 2, only to be rewarded in round 3 for his “clutch” play, to once again be very unimpressive in the finals.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Both of them include the playoffs, so I'm not going to pick against the guy with an absurd amount of playoff success coming off a playoff run with 21 points in 12 games.

This is a classic "mystery box" question. You know Crosby is amazing in the playoffs, McDavid might be as good (or better) than Crosby in the playoffs. If your team is good, whether you have McDavid or Crosby for the regular season won't matter that much. In the playoffs, it doesn't make sense to take an unproven guy over an elite proven guy.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Clearly? Nothing clear about that post season. Crosby was incredibly underwhelming that entire post season. It’s abour “watching the games”, if that’s really the only evidence you have to suggest he was better, it’s pretty weak. It shouldn’t be that difficult to prove, but it is and that’s really the point.

Kessels line was the biggest difference maker a majority of the playoffs. While Murray played amazing. Even Letang was stellar. The Smythe voting was close enough that if really did come down to a toss up, and they weren’t going to give it to a 2nd line winged, or a rookie goaltender. Malkin was injured and playing on the third line, so Crosby was the biggest name....while probably being the most inconsistent. He dropped the ball hard in round 2, only to be rewarded in round 3 for his “clutch” play, to once again be very unimpressive in the finals.
Lolwut

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Both of them include the playoffs, so I'm not going to pick against the guy with an absurd amount of playoff success coming off a playoff run with 21 points in 12 games.

This is a classic "mystery box" question. You know Crosby is amazing in the playoffs, McDavid might be as good (or better) than Crosby in the playoffs. If your team is good, whether you have McDavid or Crosby for the regular season won't matter that much. In the playoffs, it doesn't make sense to take an unproven guy over an elite proven guy.
But at the same time, is it fair to discount the “unproven” guy? It’s not that he hasn’t proved anything, he just hasn’t had a solid team around him overall to challenge for the playoffs and gain more experience.

We aren’t talking about Stamkos here who has consistently underachieved in the playoffs despite having one of the top teams in the league with some of the top teammates. McDavid is doing the most with much less, especially compared to Crosby.

Crosby is an obvious proven playoff performer, so naturally your going to pick him. But the logic behind it falls short when your using it against McDavid. It’s not his fault he hasn’t made more runs.
6 games, 0 goals, 4 assists.....a negative player through out most of the series....what’s impressive about that? Enlighten me?

Or is it because it’s Crosby, he does nothing wrong :laugh: 0 goals apparently is ok for the best player in the world and playoff MVP. I’m sure if Ovechkin played how he did and won the snythe, A lot of Pens fans would have a field day.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But at the same time, is it fair to discount the “unproven” guy? It’s not that he hasn’t proved anything, he just hasn’t had a solid team around him overall to challenge for the playoffs and gain more experience.

We aren’t talking about Stamkos here who has consistently underachieved in the playoffs despite having one of the top teams in the league with some of the top teammates. McDavid is doing the most with much less, especially compared to Crosby.

Crosby is an obvious proven playoff performer, so naturally your going to pick him. But the logic behind it falls short when your using it against McDavid. It’s not his fault he hasn’t made more runs.

For me, it comes down to whether McDavid can potentially be better enough than Crosby for me to take the safer pick. I just don't see it. McDavid's only playoff run was pretty pedestrian and there have been other top players who have struggled to perform in the playoffs, with guys like Stamkos and Henrik Sedin fitting that. I don't think McDavid will end up being a bad playoff player, but the potential upside he has over Crosby in the playoffs isn't high enough for me to take that risk. It's not just Crosby, I'd also be saying that about Malkin.

That's why I said it's a mystery box scenario. You know that Crosby and Malkin get it done in the playoffs, so why take a riskier option who could potentially be better? I don't think the risk is that high, but the potential upside isn't that high either.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Why would that push it in McDavid's favor? So he could have worse linemates?

Crosby is a better playoff player because he has the ability to adapt his game so he can't be shutdown like McDavid was in his first playoff appearance.
Crosby has never been shutdown in the playoffs? Off the top of my head he was destroyed by Detroit and boston

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I always wonder what people mean by this type of statement. Both players have aspects of their game that don't show up on the score sheet that they do better than the other. Crosby controls and protects the puck better on the cycle and is better at out muscling guys in puck battles and is better at faceoffs. McDavid is the best player in the league at controlled zone exits and entries, and is better than Crosby at stealing pucks off guys. Their play away from the puck while stylistically quite different is not noticeably different in terms of results.

Why wouldn't those aspects be reflected on the score sheet?

Seems to me if a player is better at cycling and puck battles, they're more likely to get points and prevent the other team from scoring. Same goes for zone entries/exits and takeaways.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Why wouldn't those aspects be reflected on the score sheet?

Seems to me if a player is better at cycling and puck battles, they're more likely to get points and prevent the other team from scoring. Same goes for zone entries/exits and takeaways.
Well indirectly they can, but often they don't. My point was more that the argument of Crosby having a better all around game is simply false and is only portrayed as that because HF loves to associate strong puck protection and grinder play style as attributes of a complete game. In other words, McDavid is the better offensive player and the other aspects of his game, while stylistically different than Crosby, are no worse than Crosby. Hence why McDavid is the better player today.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm surprised at the votes for option 3 vs 2.

I mean - the main argument for picking Crosby over McDavid is playoffs. Yes i know many disagree with that and pick McDavid for both - but i'd assume those who pick Crosby do so mostly based on playoff expectations.

Why does the regular season matter so much that if it's included you prefer McDavid?

On how many teams in the league today would adding Crosby vs McDavid made a noticeable change in their playoff hopes (or seeding for playoffs, insomuch as that's important).

My thoughts are - if you really want Crosby for playoffs, vote option B. If not - vote option A. I don't get the popularity of vote C as much.

I'm a Habs fan and you could say we're a bubble team. If I decide I prefer Crosby to McDavid for playoffs - i sure as hell won't take McDavid instead for the slight edge in regular season. Either of them easily makes us a playoff a team - and so i'd concentrate more on the added playoff value of Crosby

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I'm surprised at the votes for option 3 vs 2.

I mean - the main argument for picking Crosby over McDavid is playoffs. Yes i know many disagree with that and pick McDavid for both - but i'd assume those who pick Crosby do so mostly based on playoff expectations.

Why does the regular season matter so much that if it's included you prefer McDavid?

On how many teams in the league today would adding Crosby vs McDavid made a noticeable change in their playoff hopes (or seeding for playoffs, insomuch as that's important).

My thoughts are - if you really want Crosby for playoffs, vote option B. If not - vote option A. I don't get the popularity of vote C as much.

I'm a Habs fan and you could say we're a bubble team. If I decide I prefer Crosby to McDavid for playoffs - i sure as hell won't take McDavid instead for the slight edge in regular season. Either of them easily makes us a playoff a team - and so i'd concentrate more on the added playoff value of Crosby
The problem many are not taking into account is their playoff play reflects more the team than the individuals. Crosby finishes 3rd last year on his own team after being mediocre for nearly half the season, and they made the playoffs mainly due to having Malkin and Kessel, he then went full beast mode in the playoffs. People have used this consistently to praise Crosby. All while McDavid has a dumpster fire of a team to deal with and was putting up some amazing numbers despite his team not making the post season.

The narrative changes all the time to benefit Crosby. It goes from “he was saving himself for the playoffs, the regular season is meaningless.” To “he is a better leader, has more of a will to win, is the better all around player.”

People that are picking Crosby because of playoffs are simply blinded by his playoff run last season and don’t realize that he wasn’t even the best player on his own team the entire season. It’s not McDavids fault he doesn’t have a better team around him, yet we praise Crosby for having that while giving him all the credit.

Put Crosby on those Oilers teams and he doesn’t win anything. They still wouldn’t make the playoffs last year.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The legend of playoff Crosby is way overblown, especially in recent years. This isn't to say he's not excellent in the playoffs, he's just not as good as people think he is.

His career PPG in the regular season is 1.29 and in the playoffs it's 1.16 so the idea that he turns it up a notch in the playoffs is just not true.

He has 80 points in 78 playoff games over the past 5 years which again is significantly below his regular season numbers.

He's also proven that the longer the playoffs go, the less dominant he is.

In the ECF and SCF he has 45 points in 53 career games. That's a 71 point pace.

In the SCF alone he has 20 points in 25 games. That's a 66 point pace. He has 4 total goals in the SCF (13 goal pace) and only 1 in his last 15 SCF games.

I'll take McDavid because he's simply better at this point in their careers.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Well indirectly they can, but often they don't. My point was more that the argument of Crosby having a better all around game is simply false and is only portrayed as that because HF loves to associate strong puck protection and grinder play style as attributes of a complete game. In other words, McDavid is the better offensive player and the other aspects of his game, while stylistically different than Crosby, are no worse than Crosby. Hence why McDavid is the better player today.

Crosby is much more proven at carrying a line with wingers that are lower on the team's depth charts while deferring the scoring role to other line's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad