Sidney Crosby surpassing Alexander Ovechkin in career points watch (UPD: Ovechkin ahead by 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
i know what ppg means, thank you. it still does not equal production in hockey... we have raw totals for that. no analogy can change the reality. its you who callculates their raw totals to a per game basis so crosby can have the higher output... you can do that of course, it has no significant effect in the comparison between them.
No. It's not "me", it's the NHL who tracks ppg. And speaking of "raw totals" Crosby is now 5 pts behind Ovi. So if Crosby passes Ovi, by your standard, he will have the higher output both in raw numbers and ppg. Sweet. Let's see what happens tonight. Ovi no pts against Nashville today.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
No. It's not "me", it's the NHL who tracks ppg. And speaking of "raw totals" Crosby is now 5 pts behind Ovi. So if Crosby passes Ovi, by your standard, he will have the higher output both in raw numbers and ppg. Sweet. Let's see what happens tonight. Ovi no pts against Nashville today.

the nhl also tracks point totals and goal totals... whats ur point ? as a superior playmaker at his talent it would be sad if he would not catch up to ovechkin.
however, the first 10 years of pro hockey ovis output was higher. right now, i would say the production is about even... it will take crosby a few more seasons to clearly distance himself from ovi... of course while maintaining his precious ppg.

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
Yep, see, 2-way play is not rewarded with bonus points.
About Crosby, he's not a better player, he's a better playmaker.
No on top of Crosby being the superior offensive player in both the regular season and playoffs by a significant margin. He is also a much more complete player along with that.

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
the nhl also tracks point totals and goal totals... whats ur point ? as a superior playmaker at his talent it would be sad if he would not catch up to ovechkin.
however, the first 10 years of pro hockey ovis output was higher. right now, i would say the production is about even... it will take crosby a few more seasons to clearly distance himself from ovi... of course while maintaining his precious ppg.
Lmao if Crosby had played the same amount of games as Ovechkin he would have over 250 more career points. Let’s get real.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Crosby cant stay healthy is a big knock against him in the ovechkin debate as far as career goes. I think he may be a tad better if i need a player for one game though.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
[MOD]

Ovechkin was clearly the better player in ~first 3 seasons. He did everything by himself, 1 man army coming down the wing. However, Ovechkin did have the advantage being 20 vs 18 and having much more experience in better leagues

After that, I don't see the argument for Ovechkin. He's regressed hard after those first couple seasons, relying too much on his linemates to create space and scoring chances for him. In comparison, Crosby does everything on his line for his entire career.

In 2018 if you switched their linemates, Ovechkin would suffer a far bigger drop in offense than Crosby. Kuznetsov is clearly the one in the drivers seat on that line, taking over from Backstrom

Last edited by a moderator:

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
Ovechkin was clearly the better player in ~first 3 seasons. He did everything by himself, 1 man army coming down the wing. However, Ovechkin did have the advantage being 20 vs 18 and having much more experience in better leagues

After that, I don't see the argument for Ovechkin. He's regressed hard after those first couple seasons, relying too much on his linemates to create space and scoring chances for him. In comparison, Crosby does everything on his line for his entire career.

In 2018 if you switched their linemates, Ovechkin would suffer a far bigger drop in offense than Crosby. Kuznetsov is clearly the one in the drivers seat on that line, taking over from Backstrom
Even the first 3 seasons was close. Ovechkin was slight better in 05-06. Crosby was much better in 06-07. 07-08 Ovechkin had his best year but let’s not forget who was leading the league in scoring before his angle injury and who then returned to lead the playoffs in scoring with a dominant 27 in 20. It’s a wash

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Crosby cant stay healthy is a big knock against him in the ovechkin debate as far as career goes. I think he may be a tad better if i need a player for one game though.
Last 5 regular seasons played avg 79 games, plus a load of playoff games. Seems a stretch to say he can't stay healthy?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Last 5 regular seasons played avg 79 games, plus a load of playoff games. Seems a stretch to say he can't stay healthy?

I guess i should say that ovechkin’s godly way of staying healthy and consistent for so long is a big boon to his credentials. Just so impressive imo.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Such a primitive understanding of how hockey works. You have to do a lot more than finish scoring plays to win games. There's a reason the Caps took 14 years to build a team that could get as far as Crosby did after 3 years, hint: it's because they needed to add forwards who could make plays and defend, things the Pens got for free as part of Crosby's full package.
Sorry hockey god and all knowing. Of course every team needs what you described and no Crosby did not provide all that. Just another myth to prop Crosby up when he isnt crosbesque scoring wise, which no player can night in and out. Crosby has 3 Stanley cups for 1 reason that was completely out of his control. Having the 2nd/3rd best player in the league on your team for 10 years did that no matter what "some" pens fans want to say. It's just laughable that to promote another player the greatest fundamental aspect of a sport has to be beat down to do so. Notice that when ovi also had a teammate that scored 20 plus playoff points his team also went far.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
i know what ppg means, thank you. it still does not equal production in hockey... we have raw totals for that. no analogy can change the reality. its you who callculates their raw totals to a per game basis so crosby can have the higher output... you can do that of course, it has no significant effect in the comparison between them.
Disregarding PPG in long careers of guys from the same era is pretty weak. PPG clearly shows who was more dominant. It’s not like Crosby played 200 games compared to Ovie playing 800.

Longevity does not make you a better player.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Lmao if Crosby had played the same amount of games as Ovechkin he would have over 250 more career points. Let’s get real.

those are just projections... means nothing. i can reverse the argument say if ovi played almost 2 seasons less his ppg would be higher on fresher legs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
those are just projections... means nothing. i can reverse the argument say if ovi played almost 2 seasons less his ppg would be higher on fresher legs.

This is bassakwards as PPG isn't a projection its a measurement of production/game.

If Ovechkin had the same stats with 160 games less played that would be another matter but there is as much validity in this argument in saying if player X scored 70 goals every year he would be better than Ovechkin.

Neither thing happened.

Reactions: kmart

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Ahhh, the never ending watch continues. Thread version #12489.

If somebody puts together all of the HF posts on this topic in a commemorative book, I'd totally by it. Great crapper read.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
exactly thats why i said before my argument... it means nothing as the quote i replied used ppg as projection. especially after a decade of hockey... you are what ur raw point number tell us not what ur ppg might indicate.

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
Mhmmm. So Ovechkin missing his absolute peak years would make his ppg better? Right..... do me a favour and go check how many points Ovechkin had after the same amount of games as Crosby. I’d be willing to be at least 150 less

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Mhmmm. So Ovechkin missing his absolute peak years would make his ppg better? Right..... do me a favour and go check how many points Ovechkin had after the same amount of games as Crosby. I’d be willing to be at least 150 less

doesnt matter, if u add imaginary points, every player should be allowed to add that amount. its a bs argument. crosby does not have 250 more points. after 13 years u have to use the numbers that are there not those he could have archived.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm a huge Ovechkin fan and have been, since he came in to the league (I don't cheer for the Caps or the Pens). But I am still confused that there are some arguing that he's superior to Crosby. Sid is the superior player and that doesn't take anything away from OV.

That said, both players are, IMO, top 10 players of all time.

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
doesnt matter, if u add imaginary points, every player should be allowed to add that amount. its a bs argument. crosby does not have 250 more points. after 13 years u have to use the numbers that are there not those he could have archived.
Total NHL career points Reg and playoffs combined
Crosby 1347 points in 1059 games=1.27 ppg (104 points per 82 games)
Ovechkin 1284 points in 1162 games= 1.11 ppg (91 points per 82 games)

Crosby has 63 more career nhl points in 103 less career nhl games.... check mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->