Sidney Crosby surpassing Alexander Ovechkin in career points watch (UPD: Ovechkin ahead by 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Didn't you know that Sidney Crosby is the first and only player to ever cup-check someone or to slash another player in the gloves, and that a routine slash to the gloves that is seen literally dozens of times in a game makes him human scum?

If you can't make an argument without a straw man, maybe deep down you don't believe what you are typing.

By all means, make an honest argument for why a testicle slasher deserves a sportsmanship award.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Didn't you know that Sidney Crosby is the first and only player to ever cup-check someone or to slash another player in the gloves, and that a routine slash to the gloves that is seen literally dozens of times in a game makes him human scum?
Hey, it’s Midnight Judges. I’m sure he and his little band hold brainstorming sessions to come up with these obscure, picky criticisms. I guess they hope if they can generate enough volume, it will outweigh the obvious.

Example: Poster brings up the obvious that Crosby is superior to Ovechkin defensively and more valuable without the puck. To defend that point, he exhibits Selke votes. Instead of even trying to refute the obvious core argument, the extensionary evidence is criticized.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
If you can't make an argument without a straw man, maybe deep down you don't believe what you are typing.

By all means, make an honest argument for why a testicle slasher deserves a sportsmanship award.
Honestly, highly commendable misdirection from some clear sarcasm. Most people won’t even remember that it was you who brought up the topic of the Byng.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

It's not a straw man, it's heavy sarcasm. lol, there's a clear difference.

I'm just wondering, have you ever actually played a sport in real life, Midnight? I've seen even the cleanest, most straight-up players I've ever known cup-check, cross-check, or slash a guy. I can guarantee you that every single Lady Byng trophy winner has slashed or cup-checked guys at least a handful of times in their hockey careers.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It's not a straw man, it's heavy sarcasm. lol, there's a clear difference.

I'm just wondering, have you ever actually played a sport in real life, Midnight? I've seen even the cleanest, most straight-up players I've ever known cup-check, cross-check, or slash a guy. I can guarantee you that every single Lady Byng trophy winner has slashed or cup-checked guys at least a handful of times in their hockey careers.

Hide your strawman (lies) behind the shield of sarcasm all you want.

There is a huge difference between deliberately slashing a guy's balls from behind and slashing in general.

There is also a huge distinction to be made between slashing a guy's fingertip off (which rarely ever happens) and your everyday slash that happens 35 times a game.

I am athletically inclined, so I know these sorts of things.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

There is a huge difference between deliberately slashing a guy's balls from behind and slashing in general.

There is also a huge distinction to be made between slashing a guy's fingertip off (which rarely ever happens) and your everyday slash that happens 35 times a game.

Dude, you've gotta be absolutely kidding me. I do understand that sarcasm is not easy to detect over the internet, but it's hard for me to really believe that you think that my statement was not sarcastic.

Also, you care about this and think this is a lot less worse than the actual Ottawa Senators, lol. They really didn't seem to see anything there at all. Neither of us are NHL players, and admittedly we may be biased, so let's look at someone's opinion who holds a little more merit than our own, shall we?

Erik Karlsson (Captain of the Ottawa Senators at the time) said:
"It’s kind of a misplay. [Crosby] puts his stick in [Methot's] hand as he’s trying to shoot the puck in and, unfortunately, it hits his finger. It turns out, worse-case scenario. Plays like that happen all the time. But no, I don’t think it was intentional or dirty."

Mike Condon (Goaltender for the Ottawa Senators at the time) said:
"There are so many things that happen in the game. There are slashes on both sides. But apparently, Meth’s finger is pretty messed up, as we all saw on the Jumbotron. That’s hockey. That’s part of the game."

I didn't ask if you were athletically inclined, I asked if you had actually played organized sports, judging by your rhetoric, it really doesn't seem like you understand how playing a sport actually works.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ovechkin is 12th in assists since the lockout.

Crosby isn't top 200 in defense.

What a weird post.

Sure Ovechkin is 12th in assists since the lockout as there only a handful of topline guys that have played all 14th seasons.

Crosby being 200th in defense must include Dmen right?

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

Outrageous! Lies! Sid didn't slash anyone's nuts! Granted, he did a little speed bag exercise on a guy's ball sack once, but, slash? Jamais!

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Indeed I would, except unlike Sid's defensive highlights, Ovechkin actually is a physically dominant player and unlike Sid's alleged defense, there are statistics to back this up.

I've seen Sid's defensive highlight reel - if you could call it that. Ultra weak.

It is one indicator, yes.

Guys like Courturier, Kopitar, Toews, Barkov - you know, the players players who actually deserve to be in the Selke conversation all play the PK exponentially more than Sid.

Huh. Somebody should have told him that in the playoffs last year. He didn't seem to be aware of these responsibilities while his team was giving up crucial goals late in games.

Interestingly enough, Riley Sheahan was able to get back and play defense.

I don't know why you assume all regular centers would make the top 200 in terms of defensive forwards. There are tons of wingers who are far superior to centers at defense. I wouldn't put Kuznetsov in the top 200 for the Selke but his winger Tom Wilson ought to be top 30.

Also, Sid ranked 146th for centers only PK TOI last season. So apparently there are dozens of irregular scrub centers doing more penalty killing than Sid.

There are all sorts of scrubs who put in more effort in their own zone than Sid.

Well to be fair you are using some rebound assists to claim Ovechkins high level as a playmaker so at least you are consistent using a really non factor like PK ice time to determine defensive play for an elite offensive forward.

Both metrics are extremely weak ones to measure playmaking and defensive play repectively.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
major props to sid, has been on fire lately

even when he was "slumping", he was still consistent with his points. will be a huge factor for seeding and come playoffs

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Would be cool if this thread just went on for years and years with both players flip flopping back and forth every week.

I mean it's over a year old now and Crosby was five points behind when it started and now he is two.

The more hilarious scenario would be they finished tied in career points. :laugh:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Would be cool if this thread just went on for years and years with both players flip flopping back and forth every week.

I mean it's over a year old now and Crosby was five points behind when it started and now he is two.

The more hilarious scenario would be they finished tied in career points. :laugh:
Hilarious, and perfect. No rivalry would EVER match it, if it even can be at this point.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
Have a hard time believing a guy who only has 1 50 goal season was magically going to have "a bunch" of 50-60 goal seasons.

He had 1, then easily on pace for another before his first major injury. From what I remember, that first concussion made him adjust into more of a playmaker.

Reactions: Hippasus

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Or you could stop being a lazy contrarian look at the stats and then type "Ovechkin passes" into YouTube. If you don't think Ovi is a strong passer you've never watched him play.

Anybody can make a slick pass from time to time. That's not what I meant by being a playmaker. That just isnt Ovies game and that's fine, but it's what seperates, imo, the greatest from the next tier slightly below. Had Ovie been able to find ways to create more he'd have never been caught so easily in almost 2 full seasons less of games by Sid.

Like I said, an elite player accumulating in close to full seasons totals of 20 assists and 21 is laughable.

Complete offensive players such as Jagr, Mario, Sid, etc could kill you in more ways than one.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

Perfect! Could you imagine all the fanboys for both just loosing control of all their bodily functions.

Reactions: filinski77

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

This thread is only 13 days old :huh:

Reactions: kladorf2005

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Oh please elaborate on how Ovechkins passing abilities has some how been getting worse?

Comparing him to 07-10 OV, I think the biggest difference is his lack of puck control. His ability to make a pass is somewhat similar now. But he's not handling the puck nearly as much as he did back at his peak.

Reactions: Khomutov

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Comparing him to 07-10 OV, I think the biggest difference is his lack of puck control. His ability to make a pass is somewhat similar now. But he's not handling the puck nearly as much as he did back at his peak.

This is obviously fan fiction and not based in reality what so ever.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
This is obviously fan fiction and not based in reality what so ever.

Really? I do try to be objective and I bet it's no secret that I'm a big OV fan. My take on his game, compared to his peak years, is that he's not holding on to the puck as much. Which in turn has caused changes in his game. One of the main one being his playmaking. His adaption has been remarkable though.

I've never heard anyone challenge this analysis before you. I'd like to hear your reasoning for his decrease in assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad