Sidney Crosby is not the youngest player to score at the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I looked it up and found that Viktor Alexandrov is the youngest player to do it. It happened at the 2001 tournament and Viktor turned 15 during the tounament (b. Dec 28/ 1985). He scored 2 goals and added 1 assist during the tournament. He played for Kazakhstan which is probably why no one knew about it since they are not a top team. Kazakhstan got relegated and hasn't been back since. However, it is Viktor Alexandrov who holds the record.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Well done. Alexandrov is now fighting with the kazak federation i believe, refusing to play for them for some reason i cannot quite recall. His father being fired maybe?

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
I thought his father was killed in a car accident.

He was replaced by his club team before that. The club and Federation is one and the same in Kazakhstan. Apparently he was fired so late that there were no openings at other clubs so he was left unemployed. If Alexandrov sr. had been alive he could have persuaded Alexandrov jr. to play for Kazakhstan. On the other hand he might have been just as negative to the Kazakh Federation.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Fredrik said:
He was replaced by his club team before that. The club and Federation is one and the same in Kazakhstan. Apparently he was fired so late that there were no openings at other clubs so he was left unemployed. If Alexandrov sr. had been alive he could have persuaded Alexandrov jr. to play for Kazakhstan. On the other hand he might have been just as negative to the Kazakh Federation.
Thanks for the info.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
brian said:
I looked it up and found that Viktor Alexandrov is the youngest player to do it. It happened at the 2001 tournament and Viktor turned 15 during the tounament (b. Dec 28/ 1985). He scored 2 goals and added 1 assist during the tournament. He played for Kazakhstan which is probably why no one knew about it since they are not a top team. Kazakhstan got relegated and hasn't been back since. However, it is Viktor Alexandrov who holds the record.
Links please

BCCHL inactive

Graham said:
No, it's about players who are under 20 years old. There is no lower age limit.

That's right.

This tournament's official name is the World U20 Championship.

"World Junior Championship" is simply a slang term that is no longer used by the IIHF.

AEKaki

brian said:

When and is this kid going to get drafted?
He could be interesting...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fredrik said:

In other words, he is going to be the Evgeny Nabokov of Kazakh fowards

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Since he last represented Kazakhstan at age 16 he can switch countries if he wants to and if he is good enough to play for Russia. The link is the IIHF website and just click on history and look under 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->