Sidney Crosby haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Are many people out there finding themselves hating Sidney Crosby? I need to confess that I'm finding myself hoping that the next Crosby update will read "...was elbowed in the head and knocked out cold"...

Hey, I know it's kind of mean, and he himself hasn't really done anything to deserve it, but aren't you finding yourself rooting against the kid? I've never met the guy so I don't know whether he's a spoiled jerk or not, but he's a 15 year old who is constantly being told and treated as though he's some sort of God. That's disturbing.

I'd rather cheer for the underdog, the guy who is over-looked, instead of the guy who is coddled and has everything planned out for him already.

It'll be interesting to see how big the anti-Crosby faction is by the time he's ready for the NHL.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
That's what they all say

leafssuck said:
Sid is a very humble guy. You'd never know he was so good if you hadn't heard anything about him and just asked him.

99% of prospects/players who are asked about their own play give the standard answer that they're supposed to...the humble answer. Whether they believe it or not is a different story.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Not everyone

So I take it any prospect that plays well, answers humbly when asked about himself, and generates hype is on your hate list?

No, not any prospect. You need to admit that he is at a whole different level of hype and attention. Some people have already got his spot in the Hall of Fame ready for him. They're prepping him to be the next God of Hockey. It's totally different than just "any" other prospect.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
The last big prospect

The last guy to come along with this much hype and attention was Eric Lindros. And do you remember the number of people who hated him and was hoping he would fail and find his struggles and injuries amusing now?

I really don't think it's that unusual to hate these kids who are handed everything on a silver platter.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Don't judge someone on the media round him.
Judge him.
You need some counselling...

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
You're on the right track

Evilo said:
Don't judge someone on the media round him.
Judge him. You need some counselling...

Actually, with the first part of your statement, I thought you were going to say something that had truth to it.

That is, don't judge someone when the media is around. It is rarely the true person, they all put on the humble act when there's microphones and cameras around.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Lindros

Lindros never did live up to the hype. He was a very good NHL player, but not an all time great, not the Next Gretzky, as he was called, now label handed to Sidney Crosby.

But that's not really the point.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Did you read the title?

You didn't need to come into this thread. The thread has a title for a reason. I just want to see how many other people out there hate this kid too and are rooting against him in every way.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
And it's more than just here

And it's a lot more than just people here hyping him...he was on the cover of The Hockey News when he was what, 14?

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Off the soap box

Oh come on now, please get off the soap box. We all have people that you don't like, especially in the sporting world.

I'm not plotting his death or wishing any dreaded misery or illness on the kid. Just hoping things don't go his way. Who doesn't want to see a coddled pretty boy take one on the chin every once in a while? I can't even tell you the number of people who I've seen on boards who were cheering wildly when Kariya and/or Lindros were levelled by Stevens.

It's the same thing with Sidney Crosby, if you don't like him you hope he gets creamed and hope he doesn't do well.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Not liking some-one is not the same as hating some-one. Also I find it odd that because others hype a player you want to see him physically suffer. Hoping he fails is one thing, wishing pain on him another.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
It extends beyond fans too

And I hate to tell you Crosby fans this, but the dislike of the kid will extend beyond just some fans who are sick of him. You don't think this type of thing drives other players nuts too? I can safely say that there are more than a handful of players out there who would love to be the one to drill Sidney into next week with a monster hit.

Just because you think he's great and wish him all the best, don't expect everyone else to feel the same way.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Physically suffer

GB Editor said:
Not liking some-one is not the same as hating some-one. Also I find it odd that because others hype a player you want to see him physically suffer. Hoping he fails is one thing, wishing pain on him another.

GB, I think you're really over-reacting. Physically suffer?? Did I say I hope he loses a limb or contracts some sort of awful disease? Wishing pain on him? Once again, that's a stretch. Hoping a hockey player you don't like gets knocked out by a big hit is not unusual. If you think it is, I suggest you read more message boards the next time that type of hit happens. If you don't like the guy who got hit, they're happy about it.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
In all honesty I've never seen him play so I certainly don't think he's great. I just think it's sad that one person can wish harm on another that they don't even know, simply because people like that other person.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Unpleasant, yes. Misery? No

leafssuck said:
I'm sorry, I had to come back because you're full of ****:
Now I would think getting knocked out would be kind of miserable.

Unpleasant? Yes. I don't hope players I like get knocked out of course, but that's the point...I don't like your Sidney. But being knocked out is now "misery"? You're really reaching. Did I say I hope he spends 8 years in a coma?!?! No, I did not.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
JamieG said:
GB, I think you're really over-reacting..

You profess to hate a 16 year old because others hype him, and I'm over-reacting? You are of course entitled to your opinion, but that seems somewhat odd to me.

JamieG said:
Physically suffer?? Did I say I hope he loses a limb or contracts some sort of awful disease? Wishing pain on him? Once again, that's a stretch.

I think hoping some-one hits him is hoping he gets hurt. Body checks do hurt, don't they?

JamieG said:
Hoping a hockey player you don't like gets knocked out by a big hit is not unusual. If you think it is, I suggest you read more message boards the next time that type of hit happens. If you don't like the guy who got hit, they're happy about it.

It's not unusual at all. However hating a 16 year old for being hyped is sad, regardless of how common it is. Hate is a pretty strong emotion to direct to someone.

Liam

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Gb

"I just think it's sad that one person can wish harm on another that they don't even know, simply because people like that other person."

It's nothing to feel "sad" about. Your definition of harm and my definition of harm definitely differ.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
JamieG said:
"I just think it's sad that one person can wish harm on another that they don't even know, simply because people like that other person."

It's nothing to feel "sad" about. Your definition of harm and my definition of harm definitely differ.

I find it sad, but it's not like it's causing me unhappiness or sadness :p

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
It's not hating the player. It's being annoyed with people who think a 16 year old who has proved nothing is going to be the greatest thing in the NHL, no doubt about it, and updating us with his individual game stats and such. You can point to Wayne, you can point to Mario, you can even point to Lindros. But you can also point to Daigle, Fogarty, among others. Crosby is anything from a sure bet to be a bonafide NHL star.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
leafssuck said:
No to nit pick, but he has proven a pretty fair amount. Nonetheless a valid post on the whole.

He's proven a fair amount in the leagues he's played in, yes. But so have many busts. I wish him luck and I hope he succeeds, but he's still got a ways to go.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
leafssuck said:
Alright I’ll leave you’re thread so you and everyone else who feels the same way can talk about why you don't like crosby…

People have a right to dislike hockey prospects. Do you think everyone loves sid?

I dislike Romy Elayoubi, does that mean im a bad person???

Dr_Chimera*

I'm sorry, but did I just type in the wrong url and wound up on Slam boards?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
He hasn't done anything to me, so I don't hate him. Yeah, there's a lot of hype, and it does get tedious, but it's not his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad