News Article: Sidney Crosby at 30: The can't miss 'kid' who didn't

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Nice piece from Halifax.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada...t-miss-kid-who-didn-t.html?platform=hootsuite

HALIFAX  As he turns 30 on Monday, Sidney Crosby will celebrate his third Stanley Cup win parading the cherished mug through the streets of the city where he's been a star since he was five years old.

The Pittsburgh Penguins captain will take in the festivities knowing that after 12 years in the NHL, his place is already assured in the pantheon of the game's greats and that he has fulfilled the promise that many saw in him from almost the first time he laced up a pair of skates.

In the tradition of Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux and now Connor McDavid, "Sid the Kid," was a hockey prodigy.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Nice read, thanks for posting. It's always cool to hear stories about Sid when he was actually a kid.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I liked that story about how a local Quebec kid was the talk of the International Peewee Tourney before it began and Sid blew him out of the water.

Also one of the bigger reasons why he left home so young was he literally was getting heckled on and off the ice by adults. In tourneys where kids usually walk around rinks, etc. with thier jerseys on, Sid wouldn't wear one because it got so bad at times.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure what part of having your kid in sports turns parents into absolute cretins but even I recall off-ice run-ins with parents and that was just around this area.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Also one of the bigger reasons why he left home so young was he literally was getting heckled on and off the ice by adults. In tourneys where kids usually walk around rinks, etc. with thier jerseys on, Sid wouldn't wear one because it got so bad at times.

Then there was the time when Sid got heckled repeatedly by Phil Kessel's mom at Shattuck St. Mary's. Must have made for some awkward conversations two summers ago. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad