Value of: Sid for Kuch (Bolts and Pens fans opinion please)

This trade

• Total voters

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
A guy that hits 125 points can’t even be a ppg player in playoffs? Yeah that’s my problem. Crosby is well over a ppg in playoffs and has been clutch in captaining 3 Stanley cup runs.

The bolts were favored by like a million the last 2 seasons and amounted to nothing. I’m almost positive if you swap Kuch for Sid that the bolts would have at least one cup already.
He's under a ppg because of one bad playoff series. Sids had his share of underwhelming to bad series, as well. There's plenty of reasons for pens fans to not trade Crosby no need to create a baity narrative.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Due to age difference Pens probably "win" this trade on the ice but it would be a marketing disaster. Crosby IS Pittsburgh hockey, moreso than anyone else besides Mario Lemieux. Trading him, even for a player of Kucherov's caliber, just to make the team younger would likely alienate a huge number of fans.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I understand both teams POV (Leafs fan here) Crosby while getting older is still the best all around player In the game and is signed for 3 more seasons in which he’d still be a top 5 player. Kucherov is also a super star and while he did lead the nhl in points he’s just not Crosby. The big thing here is Kucherov is like 6 years younger and locked up. If Pittsburgh feels trading Crosby for a younger Kucherov extends their cup window then this is a good trade. If Tampa believes bringing in Crosby makes them a lot better team then they 100% do this because they’re already stacked.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Pens fan here. i wouldn't do it because Crosby is basically a God in Pittsburgh. Kucherov's best days are ahead of him, obviously, but i would rather ride it out with Crosby.

i think i can also speak for just about every Tampa fan and say they wouldn't touch this trade with a 10-ft pole.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Age difference is the only thing in Kucherovs favor.

He just had a 125 point season but that is such a rarity I’m willing to wager he doesn’t get close to that number again. Further, the guy disappears in playoffs and plays soft.

Crosby (barring another concussion) will age well, and he’s just 31. He’s got 3 seasons left of being a top 3 center, and his leadership skills are through the roof. He’s also on a bargain of contract given today’s standards.

I would consider it for a moment, but in the end, give me Sid 9/10 times.

I agree with the points on Sid, but the idea that Kucherov disappears in the playoffs is a misconception based on, not even two playoffs, but two series.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd take that deal and run.

The age difference is the key.

But i wouldn't trade Crosby for Kucherov for a single season and a playoff run.

Reactions: DFC

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I agree with the points on Sid, but the idea that Kucherov disappears in the playoffs is a misconception based on, not even two playoffs, but two series.

Still not sure how a near PPG player in the playoffs gets labeled as someone who "disappears" in the playoffs.

the stats speak for themselves. Kucherov is actually one of the top 5-10 playoff performers of the past 5 seasons.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Still not sure how a near PPG player in the playoffs gets labeled as someone who "disappears" in the playoffs.

the stats speak for themselves. Kucherov is actually one of the top 5-10 playoff performers of the past 5 seasons.

I think it's that a lot of attention was on the CBJ and WSH series, and everything went wrong for Kucherov when the most eyes were on him. But he's been the team's best playoff forward since 2015, no question. And, I know TB hasn't one the cup in that time, but they've won a lot of series, and many of those came thanks to Kucherov.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Better scenario is Malkin for Stamkos, stamkos had a much better regular season than Malkin and is younger. But i bet every Bolts fan in the world would trade Stamkos for Malkin even though theyre getting a less productive and older player based off last season(though Malkin in Tampa with Kucherov is competing for the art ross)

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think it's that a lot of attention was on the CBJ and WSH series, and everything went wrong for Kucherov when the most eyes were on him. But he's been the team's best playoff forward since 2015, no question. And, I know TB hasn't one the cup in that time, but they've won a lot of series, and many of those came thanks to Kucherov.

Tyler Johnson too. That guy seems to love the spotlight. Turns into a 1st line all star come April.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Better scenario is Malkin for Stamkos, stamkos had a much better regular season than Malkin and is younger. But i bet every Bolts fan in the world would trade Stamkos for Malkin even though theyre getting a less productive and older player based off last season(though Malkin in Tampa with Kucherov is competing for the art ross)

Yeah, I don't think we'd be happy about doing it, but I think we'd do it.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Tampa should say yes and run. Yea this would hurt tamp long term, but your chances of getting a cup soon goes way up. It’s crazy to be thinking about 5+ years down the road when you’d increase your cup chances for the next few years...

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tampa should say yes and run. Yea this would hurt tamp long term, but your chances of getting a cup soon goes way up. It’s crazy to be thinking about 5+ years down the road when you’d increase your cup chances for the next few years...

Yeah, but it shouldn't be a Sid for Kuch swap. The problem area, especially last season has been their center depth not being there (injuries) or not very good. *Stamkos*

Stamkos is a negative except the one finals. No two way game to garnish higher praise, and last season is three highly talented players feeding off each other on the PP. Something that is very limited in the playoffs.

Last year reminded me of the 93 Pens but worse. They'd never compete for another cup. Tampa just doesn't seem to have the right mix. They seem too dependent on an offensive game. They need that defensive depth from the forwards. Somewhere. I don't see it.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not doing it as a Pens fan, dont care what the offer is. Crosby deserves and most likely will retire a Pen. Wouldnt trade him for anything. Ill take the painful few years of a rebuild after he retires.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, but it shouldn't be a Sid for Kuch swap. The problem area, especially last season has been their center depth not being there (injuries) or not very good. *Stamkos*

Stamkos is a negative except the one finals. No two way game to garnish higher praise, and last season is three highly talented players feeding off each other on the PP. Something that is very limited in the playoffs.

Last year reminded me of the 93 Pens but worse. They'd never compete for another cup. Tampa just doesn't seem to have the right mix. They seem too dependent on an offensive game. They need that defensive depth from the forwards. Somewhere. I don't see it.

Stamkos deserves a lot of criticism for his post-season performances dating back to before his injuries started. He had a great regular season last year, but the wheels fell off in the playoffs. Mind you, they fell off for everyone. The reason why I think Stamkos deserves more criticism for that than the rest of the players is that he doesn't have the resume to fall back on like Kucherov, or even Point.

TB fell apart when the power play was taken away. I mean, they fell apart for a number of reasons, but that's the big one. First, it took away our biggest weapon. But also, by not calling the penalties, CBJ was getting away with a lot that TB just wasn't used to. For instance, Yanni Gourde is a great net front presence in the regular season... not so much in the playoffs, when guys twice his size are taking liberties. That's not a shot at the refs. It's a shot at TB's management and coaching staff for not recognizing that what worked in the regular season might not work in the playoffs if they came up against the right/wrong coach. Trotz was that coach last year and Tortorella was that coach this year. TB had no answer whatsoever.

I honestly think Palat was a bigger piece of the puzzle than anybody realized. Both Johnson and Kucherov tore up the playoffs when they had Palat on their wing. Kucherov, up until that Washington series in 2018, was a monster in the playoffs. It's sad that people forget that so quickly, after a couple of bad series. I really think he needs somebody on his line who can create time and space for him, kind of like what Kunitz used to be for Crosby, with that oddball pairing that worked so well for years and years. Palat was that guy for Kucherov. But injuries have piled up, and Palat has been a shadow of his former self for a while now.

Getting back to Stamkos, even his best playoff performances haven't really elevated him past our 3rd or 4th best player in any given series. Part of the issue is we've had very little luck finding him a partner in crime since MSL left. He and Kucherov get white hot sometimes, but other times they're a complete **** show together, pretending they're globetrotters and giving up Grade A scoring chances for one more pass. It can get really ridiculous when they give each other too much respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Neither team gets "fleeced". The team with Sid gets a player that is more likely to help them win NOW... as a 1C, better all-around player, providing more cap room to add pieces with, as well as his veteran leadership. The team with Kuch gets a player that provides them with a longer window... as a higher-scoring winger, on a great contract for a longer period of time.

You have to ask yourself... do I want fewer but greater chances of winning the cup... or more chances of winning the cup at somewhat reduced odds? I think each player is on the correct team, and I don't think either team would do this swap from a pure personnel point of view. Obviously everybody here knows that aside from all of the aforementioned, there's no way in hell Pittsburgh moves Crosby given his legacy there, just for a pure hockey trade. There'd have to be some serious money-issues or malcontent involved for it to happen.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Due to age difference Pens probably "win" this trade on the ice but it would be a marketing disaster. Crosby IS Pittsburgh hockey, moreso than anyone else besides Mario Lemieux. Trading him, even for a player of Kucherov's caliber, just to make the team younger would likely alienate a huge number of fans.

Even with the age difference, I think Pittsburgh still loses. Malkin has played 70+ games once since 2012. And only a couple of those seasons were in the high 60s. Without Crosby, they simply don't have the center depth to handle Malkin going out.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Gourde - Crosby - Johnson
Palat - Point - Stamkos
Killorn - Cirelli - Joseph

Kahun - Malkin - Kucherov
Guentzel - Galchenyuk - Hornqvist
Rust - McCann - Bjugstad

I hate it for the Penguins, even though Kucherov is the younger player. Tampa stays rock solid up front but Penguins completely lose their center depth.

Reactions: domaug

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
TBay says no based on the age difference. Crosby has a few more very good years left, Kucherov has many more. Crosby deserves to retire a Penguin, I can't see Pittsburgh making this deal either.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I wouldn’t touch this if I’m Tampa. Kuch is much younger and more important to Tampa then Crosby would be. Seeing as they have Stamkos and Point at Center already. Nvm the fact that Kuch is arguably the better player currently
There is no argument for Kucherov better than Crosby

Reactions: Drew311

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
There is no argument for Kucherov better than Crosby
Kucherov one of the top 2 guys in the league right now. Career wise it's obviously Crosby, but right now? It's Kucherov. Easily.

As for the topic, Tampa doesn't do it. Not sure PIT would either, though. Tampa already has Stamkos and Point down the middle.

They'd be making themselves weaker at an already weak position to strengthen an already strong position.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Kucherov one of the top 2 guys in the league right now. Career wise it's obviously Crosby, but right now? It's Kucherov. Easily.
Not at all

Crosby gets taken in every situational imagineable next season, minus the powerplay, over Loserov

Maybe when he steps up and carries his team somewhere instead of riding their coattails for points he can be anywhere near Crosby’s level

It will take a prime aged Kucherov vs a crippling old Crosby to ever have the Russian come out on top. That wont be for another 3+ seasons

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Neutral fan saying that Crosby could have a career-ending injury and the Pens could be offered Kucherov and still wouldn’t do it. He’s a Pens’ lifer and legend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad