Movies: Sick Of "Comedy Specials" That Are Anything But...

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Somewhere in time, a Netflix executive realized that a "Comedy Special" is a cheap way to provide content. As a result, every idiot who can tell a dirty joke gets one.

The problem : MOST of these comedians don't have enough material for a 9 minute set, let alone a 90 minute show, and the programs are painful to watch - I recently saw a 90 minute show by Bill Burr (who I love) and I was really disappointed.

Can anyone provide the good, the bad and the ugly, when it come to Comedy Specials so I don't waste my time?

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Ken Jeong and Ellen DeGeneres on Netflix were memorably awful.

I watched the Amazing Johnathan doc last night and was mostly confused. It isn't standup but it is about a stand up comedian.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Ken Jeong and Ellen DeGeneres on Netflix were memorably awful.

I watched the Amazing Johnathan doc last night and was mostly confused. It isn't standup but it is about a stand up comedian.
More "specials" are disappointing than not.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Highly entertaining: Doug Stanhope, Dave Chappelle, Jim Jeffries, Chris Rock, and Harriet Gadsby's Nanette was worth watching.

Don't like at all: Bill Burr

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I thought Burr's Paper Tiger was poor but I attented a variation of that set at the TD Garden last year and laughed the entire set. It was less indignant.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Him or Joe Rogan

I’m no fan of Rogans standup, but is he really all that rated as a standup? Sure his podcast is highly rated, but I never really hear him discussed as a great standup.

Not like Burr anyway. Even lots of comedians I really like, they talk about Burr like he is some kind of genius and I just don’t get it.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I've watched Norm Macdonald's standup special several times and laugh every single time. But Norm is one of those guys that you are either going to love or hate, no real in between with him.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I still remember when Mitch Hedberg had a special on Comedy Central, and when he realized nobody knew who he was asked "why did a bunch of people who don't know who I am show at my special?"

Honestly I prefer almost all stand up comedians work outside of their big specials. Usually.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I still remember when Mitch Hedberg had a special on Comedy Central, and when he realized nobody knew who he was asked "why did a bunch of people who don't know who I am show at my special?"

Honestly I prefer almost all stand up comedians work outside of their big specials. Usually.

Also much like hockey, standup is just way better to watch live IMO.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
And then there's James Acaster.....four specials released at once for four hours of comedy gold guns loaded, say your prayers mate.

Reactions: NyQuil

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Loved Chappelle's, Burr's and Gaffigan's latest, couldn't get past how Aziz' was filmed, may try and listen to the audio at some point.

Andrew Schulz youtube crowd work special is hilarious but not for the offendable which is seemingly 95% of people now, couldn't make it past like 2 minutes with that Nannette nonsense personally!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I really didn't like Neal Brennan's '3 Mics' special. Kind of similar to Nannette now that I think about it. Very overwrought and sentimental.

I always have such high hopes for Brennan stuff because of his work on Chappelle's Show but he kind of always disappoints.

I remember trying to listen to his podcast The Champs several years ago and I stopped pretty quick as he basically always just wanted to ask the guest about who/how they were f***ing.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I really like Stanhope. I sometimes wonder if there exists a line that he wouldn't be more than willing to cross. I think not. He has a genius for astonishingly filthy flights of fancy that it is hard to see any other comedian matching, at least in terms of flair and imagination.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I’m no fan of Rogans standup, but is he really all that rated as a standup? Sure his podcast is highly rated, but I never really hear him discussed as a great standup.

Not like Burr anyway. Even lots of comedians I really like, they talk about Burr like he is some kind of genius and I just don’t get it.

I actually have never watched rogan as a stand up comedian. I only know he does it through his podcast.

For me, he was the UFC/fear factor guy.... before his massively successful podcast that is.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I actually have never watched rogan as a stand up comedian. I only know he does it through his podcast.

For me, he was the UFC/fear factor guy.... before his massively successful podcast that is.

He’s the News Radio guy to me.

So glad I binge watched that show when it was on Netflix like 7 years ago.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I've watched Norm Macdonald's standup special several times and laugh every single time. But Norm is one of those guys that you are either going to love or hate, no real in between with him.

I haven't seen this guy in forever.

I dont think his jokes were that funny, but he was still funny..... I dunno if that makes sense.

I also feel like his comedy would not jive with the way society is these days.... I assume he hasn't changed though.

Sep 19, 2008
I really didn't like Neal Brennan's '3 Mics' special. Kind of similar to Nannette now that I think about it. Very overwrought and sentimental.

I always have such high hopes for Brennan stuff because of his work on Chappelle's Show but he kind of always disappoints.

I remember trying to listen to his podcast The Champs several years ago and I stopped pretty quick as he basically always just wanted to ask the guest about who/how they were ****ing.
kevin and neal brennan suck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad