News Article: SI/HN predicts what the Canucks will look like in 2020 (in 2017)

nightranger

Jan 3, 2021
Yeah that will give us all of $1.5M in Cap space, which goes to Hamonic. We need some cap space to be able to sign podkolzin, but the really sad part is that if we had cap space, we could be picking up great players for nothing right now.
Well it's more like 2.5 million and Hamonic is rumoured @1 million. Not sure who these players Benning could be plucking away for free if we had cap that sounds like anti-Benning rhetoric. However, he has managed to snag JT who was a steal and Nate a legit top pairing Dman all without pissing a pick or prospect away just to get under the cap like Dubas, Lou, or Mcphee in Vegas did.
But as usual you toxic HF lifers will spin the facts as hard a CNN.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Well it's more like 2.5 million and Hamonic is rumoured @1 million. Not sure who these players Benning could be plucking away for free if we had cap that sounds like anti-Benning rhetoric. However, he has managed to snag JT who was a steal and Nate a legit top pairing Dman all without pissing a pick or prospect away just to get under the cap like Dubas, Lou, or Mcphee in Vegas did.
But as usual you toxic HF lifers will spin the facts as hard a CNN.

Well by cap friendly were presently $1.5 M over the cap. Ferland is $3.5 M saved. However, pretty clear that Harmonic is getting signed, I assume for about $1 M, though it might be a little more. So that leaves $1 M in cap space. (this has since been updated on cap friendly, the numbers seem a little wonky. Add in Hoglander for $1M and it looks like we have 20/23 contracts, and less than $1 M to spare, in fact pretty much nothing).

There are presently 10 other teams over the cap limit looking to shed salary. Sure, some of it can go to LTIR I assume, but others are going to have to make some deals. We've seen a few of them over the last few years. Schmidt is a great example.

We have 4 - 5 contracts that we would give away for nothing if we could, I believe. LE, SB and beagle for sure. Probably Sutter; and Roussel maybe. Maybe Meyers; certainly we overpaid for him. We are going to need that cap space to pay Hughes and EP (and hopefully Demko) next year.

If you consider CNN a "spin" job, one has to question your credibility.

And why do you call me "toxic"? Just because for the most part JB has done a poor job? This off season has been an exception, bringing in Hamonic cheap and getting Schmidt for a 3rd were good deals. Was at the draft where we acquired JTM, I though we seriously overpaid. in hindsight, its a decent deal.

Sonny, I have season tickets, and they have been in the family for over 50 years. So please drop the immature suggestion that you are the only one looking at this "fairly".

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
*Experts*

Some people actually pay money for this sort of drivel. Sad but true.

I'm surprised at the number of people not seeing the irony here. What the article is doing here is no different from when people pencil in Podkolzin/Hoglander/Juolevi/etc into near future lineups. If the 2020 lineup in question looks bad today it's more an indictment that our prospect pool in 2017 wasn't that good as people made it out to be. For the people writing this article I'm sure they know it's not very realistic, but as you can't predict what kind of pro moves/signings or future high draft picks a team will make all they can really do is plug in a teams top prospects into expected holes.

It's dumb but it's something that happens every year on every teams board with I'd imagine mostly younger fans not realizing most of their top prospect pool isn't going to have an impact.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Threads like this reminds me of a very important life lesson i learned as a kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad