SI eyes TV partnership w/ OLN/Comcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hopefuly this is run better than CNN/SI, but keeping the NHL in the national sports spotlight is always welcome.

SI does a decent job with hockey though, I'd like more than the article an issue and Inside the NHL every other week in season, but at least there's a regular presence and hockey isn't shunted off to the background like on ESPN.

X0ssbar

I think this is just another sign that there are plenty of people upset with ESPN - whether it be the cost to carry the network, their ego or the size of which they have grown.

OLN/Comcast has already caught SI's eye as a viable alternative - I'm sure there will be more partners looking to break or at least challenge ESPN's firm grip on the sporting industry as we move foward.

This thing could snowball fairly quickly for OLN/Comcast - especially if they nab one more big league such as the MLB/NFL/NASCAR.

skippyx

Jun 24, 2005
Maybe they can stop refering to the NHL as Other Sports on their website first?

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Off topic but....It was reported on Buffalo radio this morning that Comcast is also working on a deal with the National Lacrosse League to televise the games on OLN.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
Slangston_Hughes said:
Off topic but....It was reported on Buffalo radio this morning that Comcast is also working on a deal with the National Lacrosse League to televise the games on OLN.

Not surprising, as I've seen a number of NLL games on Comcast Sports Southeast.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Stan Kroenke owns the Colorado Mamoth in addition to the Avs. Both are on his cable network.

This maybe good news as LAX could have some crossover appeal with hockey.

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
Slangston_Hughes said:

My god. If they get lacrosse, they will hit critical mass. God save ESPN. ;)

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
This is great news indeed. This only makes OLN's challenge to ESPN stronger and more legitimate.

I remember when Sport's Illustrated teamed up with CNN to air a sport's show against sportscenter. Perhaps a rival show may emerge on the OLN.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Hasbro said:
Stan Kroenke owns the Colorado Mamoth in addition to the Avs. Both are on his cable network.

This maybe good news as LAX could have some crossover appeal with hockey.

I agree with the crossover appeal - I know several Sharks fans who have become Stealth (NLL) fans and visa versa.

There was another short thread here on NLL and OLN, pointing to a Mediaweek article:

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001021696

Jennings said a partnership with OLN would work particularly well because in six markets--Philadelphia, Buffalo, N.Y., Minnesota, Colorado, San Jose, Calif., and Arizona--National Hockey League teams and NLL teams play in the same arenas, and in some instances, the same day, so OLN would already have its cameras in some of the locations where the NLL games could be televised.

Verbal Kint*

Could you imagine, the NHL of all things starts the snowball effect that leads to the demise of ESPN.

It reads like a cheesy comedy.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
No One said:
they need to pick up Aussie Rules Football, then they have the trifecta!!!!!

Aussie Rules Football, might just be one of the toughest sports around along with Hockey ... the speed and hits that are delivered in that league are nice to see

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Master of Puppets said:
Could you imagine, the NHL of all things starts the snowball effect that leads to the demise of ESPN.

It reads like a cheesy comedy.
And poetic justice if there is ever any.

Liquidrage*

Slangston_Hughes said:

Interesting, was just discussing this on a different forum.

I'd wish they'd pick up MLL instead of NLL. I consider any style of box lacrosse to be tainted and unholy.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Liquidrage said:
Interesting, was just discussing this on a different forum.

I'd wish they'd pick up MLL instead of NLL. I consider any style of box lacrosse to be tainted and unholy.

But from a logistical point of view, NLL makes much more sense.

Six of the 11 NLL teams play in the same arenas as NHL teams, frequently on the same days as NHL games - OLN Cameras and support crews would already be in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->