News Article: SI.com: Coyotes GM Chayka On The Future, Contracts, etc.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
This was a great interview. Very revealing. Love how Chayka seemingly hangs out with baseball GMs and scouts, as that sport is so stat heavy. The insight about his thoughts on later rounds picks is interesting as well. Makes me wonder how much vakue he puts on 1st-2nd round picks. He had always been open to movong 2nds for more later picks or players, and clearly our 1st last year. If we dont land the top pick I wonder if he moves back if we have #2-4 for more picks and players.

Like many have said here, I trust the scouts and JC more than my youtube watching / HF Board discussing opinions.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
The general consensus seems to be once you are picking out of the top 15-20 of the first round it is a bit of a crap shoot and it is wise to increase your odds by increasing your shots. I am pretty sure that is Chayka's philosophy, trade picks that might be overvalued for multiple picks or chances later. I think it is a smart move but it remains to be seen how it plays out in the long run. If the Coyotes are able to consistently start developing players and getting them to the NHL then that is the way to do it. They have been able to do that the past couple of years now, but the players making it to the NHL roster has a lot more to do with the position of the team and their budget rather than the young players being undeniable. It will be nice when the team gets to the point it can slow cook some of the prospects and not require them to jump to the NHL by D+3. Then only let the players that cannot be denied will be making the roster.

It scares me in the future when you see some of the young players on this team like Chyckrun and how we will probably end up losing those players earlier as a result of them playing on lottery level NHL teams and eating up years in their contracts.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The key for the young guys - or at least the current trend - is to sign your young stars to long term contracts, skipping the bridge deals. Then you have them until they are 28/29 yrs.

If they are not immediately producing they sign a bridge deal hoping to earn that BIG contract.

I think the Coyotes will be ok as long as they can afford to field a team.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The key for the young guys - or at least the current trend - is to sign your young stars to long term contracts, skipping the bridge deals. Then you have them until they are 28/29 yrs.

If they are immediately producing they sign a bridge deal hoping to earn that BIG contract.

I think the Coyotes will be ok as long as they can afford to field a team.

Yup. For example, you're looking to sign a guy like Chrychrun to either a 2 year or 6-7 year deal when his ELC finishes. Either keep a couple RFA years, or buy up 2-3 UFA years. Stay away from 3-5 year contracts.

Lovsan

Oct 18, 2015
Finland
im wondering what Raanta is worth, what his agent going to ask. I kinda dont hope he signs too long. just big cash. max 2 years. maybe 2-3.5mil/ya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad