News Article: SI.com: Coyotes GM Chayka On The Future, Contracts, etc.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Highlights:

Looks to be planning for a big summer:
SI: How’d you wind up approaching the deadline this year?

JC: Unlike years’ past, it wasn’t one where we had some significant assets that we felt were aged out or priced out of what we were willing to pay. There weren’t guys who were obvious candidates to be moving on to accrue future assets. Our group was playing extremely well at the deadline. We feel like a lot of our talent is at the NHL level, so we want to give them the best environment to grow and prosper. We looked at some bigger things. We looked at some larger changes. But those are better suited for summer. But we wanted to put in some groundwork on some larger ideas and ultimately decided to stick with the group for the most part.
I need to do a better job of putting a group together that can win next year. We have ultimate flexibility. We have a lot of optionality.
And now it’s just about going through the process of building a great team.

Not worried about Max:
SI: What have you made of Max Domi’s year? His shooting percentage is really low [3.8% entering Monday, when he had a goal against Calgary], but that’s a high-variance statistic.

JC: I think that’s a good example of a young player who has a lot of success early, and then hits some adversity. I view it as a positive thing. He’s had some unluckiness. Confidence struggles start to set in. He’s playing a new system, trying to understand how the coach wants him to play, how he fits in the system. It’s not been the year he’d like, but I also know he’ll come back stronger too. I have no worries about Max Domi.

Talks with OEL going well:
SI: How do you think Oliver’s handled not only a tough year for the team, but a year where he’s getting a lot of questions about his future as well?

JC: I’m really impressed with Oliver. This is, for my money, the best I’ve ever seen him play. It’s not even close. He’s played some games where he’s probably had the most dominant performances I’ve seen in the league personally. Early on, that transition to leadership, it’s a tough thing. A guy like Shane Doan means so much to the organization, and O’s coming in trying to fill those shoes while playing a great game on the ice. I think it was a transition for him, just like for the rest of the team. But he’s a No. 1 defenseman on the ice, he’s a No. 1 person off the ice.

SI: Do you have a plan for how you want to approach this summer with him?

JC: You’re always having conversations with guys, especially guys with opportunities to extend or re-sign in the summer. I’ve had a lot of positive discussions. I think Oliver understands what we’re about, the path forward. I know he’s proud to be drafted by the Arizona Coyotes, loves the team and the organization and where we’re headed. It’s all been positive so far.

Likes Antti's play, obviously plans to sign him.
SI: Has this stretch validated anything for you about Antti?

JC: He’s an excellent goalie when he’s healthy and in the net. He’s won us some games. He’s been probably one of our top players for this stretch and a big reason we’ve had a good stretch That’s why we traded for him. That’s why we believed in him as a starting goalie. But we also think that with the right program in place for the summer … first year as a No. 1 is a tough transition and I think he’s learned a lot about himself and his body and what he can do to be even better.

SI: So then plan is to re-sign him?

JC: Absolutely, yep.

Reactions: SR

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Highlights:

Looks to be planning for a big summer:

Not worried about Max:

Talks with OEL going well:

Likes Antti's play, obviously plans to sign him.

Of course, that does make me wonder what his idea of big summer is! Very interesting. Good article to read, though!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Of course, that does make me wonder what his idea of big summer is! Very interesting. Good article to read, though!

I mentioned in another thread...I read an article at the trade deadline (no idea where) that had Chayka talking about making an impact in the summer similar to last summer where he went out and got Stepan, Raanta, Demers and Hjalmarsson. That was a HUGE offseason (even if the results took a long time to materialize). What is comparable? We have already discussed signing a player like JVR. The D is already strong but maybe adding a second pairing RHD if the Coyotes dont get Dahlin? Tyler Myers? What top 2 RHS RW are available?

JVR (?) - Stepan - Keller
Domi - Dvorak - Svechnikov (?)
Perlini - Strome - Panik/Fischer
Martinook - Richardson - Cousins
Archibald

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Myers(?)
Connaughton, Capobianco

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I mentioned in another thread...I read an article at the trade deadline (no idea where) that had Chayka talking about making an impact in the summer similar to last summer where he went out and got Stepan, Raanta, Demers and Hjalmarsson. That was a HUGE offseason (even if the results took a long time to materialize). What is comparable? We have already discussed signing a player like JVR. The D is already strong but maybe adding a second pairing RHD if the Coyotes dont get Dahlin? Tyler Myers? What top 2 RHS RW are available?

Archibald

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Myers(?)
Connaughton, Capobianco

I do seem to recall Chayka mentioning something like that as well. My biggest wonder/concern is what assets get moved out in order to bring in other impact players. My guess it that the draft lottery will give the Yotes a good idea of what their strategy going forward will be.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
My favorite clip:

SI: In what way can you tell that leadership is more cemented?

JC: Early on, we had some bad habits. We were reverting back to doing some things just to survive. We don’t want to have a survivalist mentality. And that starts with leadership. They’re pushing the guys along, helping them understand how to close out games. Early on, it’s as painful as can be when you’ve got a lead with 10 minutes left, or you’re tied with five minutes and give up a late one. But you’ve got to go through those growing pains in order to get to the next level. And right now I think our guys are at that next level.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Archibald

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Myers(?)
Connaughton, Capobianco

Is Dougie Hamilton available should Calgary miss the playoffs? I'm not sure this franchise has shaken it's obsession with him.

I think Chayka tried for big deals at the deadline, but those players were on playoff teams. They want them for the playoffs. They're more available after the playoffs. Think if we tried to acquire Stepan last deadline. No way NYR would have done it. They wanted him for the playoffs.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Thanks for the article and the highlights RABBIT; very grateful.

Chayka is working the media- not as interesting for the team (and in French I am afraid) but here is another one:

Chayka le choc philosophique

This revolves more on Chayka himself, his belief in analytics and the adjustement he has had to make.

Reactions: RABBIT

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Is Dougie Hamilton available should Calgary miss the playoffs? I'm not sure this franchise has shaken it's obsession with him.

I think Chayka tried for big deals at the deadline, but those players were on playoff teams. They want them for the playoffs. They're more available after the playoffs. Think if we tried to acquire Stepan last deadline. No way NYR would have done it. They wanted him for the playoffs.
What would we have to give up for him? What does Calgary need?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
They'd want our 1st. Probably Merkley and another piece too.

That would be more than what they paid for him. If they want to move him it means they have soured on him to some extent. I just dont know what we have that is less valuable than our 1st and more valuable that Merkely that I would give up. 2019 1st? Im not excited about that though .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That would be more than what they paid for him. If they want to move him it means they have soured on him to some extent. I just dont know what we have that is less valuable than our 1st and more valuable that Merkely that I would give up. 2019 1st? Im not excited about that though .

I agree the first (before the lottery) wouldn't be on the table for Hamilton in a strict value sense. It's ostensibly still a shot at Dahlin so that's not happening. But after the lottery when it's 6 OA? yeah a package around it might work in theory. It might be more than they paid but I think he's worth more now too.

Chychrun +.
And the + wouldn't be small.

I have some problems with Hamilton though. Great offensive player, doesn't play all purpose #1 minutes. He's closer to a Yandle than an OEL. What he has going for him is a cheap contract for 3 years, he makes about the same as Goligoski. And he's a RD.

I think the Hamilton ship as sailed anyway. Our top 4 D is good enough IMO if Chychrun continues to grow and OEL is locked down.
They'll need to look into a Hjalmarsson replacement but they've got a whole year to deal with that. I think he'll be moved next TDL not the draft.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Actually now that I think about it. Perlini would be a great fit in Calgary. If we draft another forward he potentially moves down a spot on the depth chart. Calgary doesnt have any picks in what the first four rounds? Perlini + Minn 2nd + Entwhistle?

Not sure how interested Im in in Hamilton either. Our top 4 looks legit. But more killing time sitting on a plane.

Antonche

Jan 13, 2015
Russia, Siberia.
The only interesting option on UFA is a Carlson. But he'll want a lot of money.
The most available player for us is a Folin. He worse than any of Ceci, Myers, Manson, but much better than Schenn.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
With all the talk about how the Coyotes had one of the best D in the league I do not think you will see such an overhaul like bringing in Hamilton. They will make some defensive depth moves, but I would be surprised to see the top 4-5 turned over in any way. Clearly the biggest need (assuming free agents re-sign) is scoring up front. Top 6 players has to be the focus this summer.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->