News Article: SI: Amid Uncertainty, Bettman Still Hopes for 82-Game Season in '20-21

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
https://www.si.com/hockey/news/amid-uncertainty-bettman-still-hopes-for-82-game-season-in-20-21

Excerpts:

"but including exhibition games, the league has put on 136 games in two venues over the past 53 days. It has conducted more than 31,000 tests without a single positive. And it has met the needs of more than 1,200 people from the 24 participating teams in the bubbles.And it has been a financial success. One source said the league has spent $100 million to put the tournament on and has accrued at least $500 million in revenues and counting, as well as securing more future corporate sponsors who were impressed with the way it operated."

"Yes, there will be a revenue hit. While we know it will be less, we know it will be a substantial revenue impact, I’m comfortable that our franchises will be strong enough to weather this.”Some of the sting will be taken away by the $650 million expansion fee, which will be evenly split among 30 NHL teams, with the Vegas Golden Knights not being eligible. None of the teams has received its expansion money yet, but they are budgeting for a one-time payment of about $21.7 million at some point between now and what would have been the end of the 2020-21 season under normal circumstances."

Reactions: avssuc

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think it was a joke resuming this season all the way into early October (by the time this is all done.) Does anyone actually give a **** about these playoffs with the 3 other major sports playing in this country right now? The quality of hockey hasn’t even been all that great from the series I’ve watched either.

I’m not bashing anyone who is enjoying it, but I think this was kind of a failure imo.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think it was a joke resuming this season all the way into early October (by the time this is all done.) Does anyone actually give a **** about these playoffs with the 3 other major sports playing in this country right now? The quality of hockey hasn’t even been all that great from the series I’ve watched either.

I’m not bashing anyone who is enjoying it, but I think this was kind of a failure imo.

they did what they had to do. Without this TV revenue, the league would be sunk. Would have been a massive fight over the CBA.
Personally, I've found the hockey entertaining.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't see any realistic way 82 can be pulled off, even if they start on December 1st which is likely not the case. They also want the Cup awarded before the Olympics for tv reasons, so fitting in 82 games and full playoffs in 7 months would have far too many 3 in 4 nights scenarios that would physically too taxing on even the best shape players. That would be close to 20 games a month in 30-31 days, and only 28 days in February which is ridiculous.

One of the owners, not sure who, said he and the other owners know 82 games is a pipe dream for next season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Also, just wanted to say, the fewer Wings games we have to sit through next year the better as we are dreadful to watch right now, and each game lost is a bullet dodged for us.

Reactions: avssuc and MBH

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Also, just wanted to say, the fewer Wings games we have to sit through next year the better as we are dreadful to watch right now, and each game lost is a bullet dodged for us.
But also precious development time for our young guns is lost. It's all relative though, as each club plays the same amt. However it'll be easier on the Vet-laden clubs w/o a lot of rookies & youngin's

There's no way they can expect a full 82gp, 32 team NHL season in the bubble, that's not happening. NHLPA would never go for that. Nor many of the staffers.

I guess I'll be happy if they get 60-70gp, any less & I'll feel really cheated for a 4th time (3 lockouts - 94/5, 04/5 full season stolen, 12/3)=150 games Gone + ~27 preseason games....NHL owes us.

For someone that only follows Hockey that's unacceptable.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
But also precious development time for our young guns is lost. It's all relative though, as each club plays the same amt. However it'll be easier on the Vet-laden clubs w/o a lot of rookies & youngin's

There's no way they can expect a full 82gp, 32 team NHL season in the bubble, that's not happening. NHLPA would never go for that. Nor many of the staffers.

I guess I'll be happy if they get 60-70gp, any less & I'll feel really cheated for a 4th time (3 lockouts - 94/5, 04/5 full season stolen, 12/3)=150 games Gone + ~27 preseason games....NHL owes us.

For someone that only follows Hockey that's unacceptable.

The only young guns really needing the time at the NHL level right now are Zadina, Cholo and Seider.
Veleno, Ras and some of the others are probably AHL bound.
That said, I'm concerned about our college hockey, junior hockey and AHL hockey players. Can they afford to have seasons with no ticket sales? Or 20 percent ticket sales?

Right now, it's good to have a superscout from Sweden. Of all the countries in Europe, they're least like to shut hockey down. That's good for Johansson, Berggren, Soderblom, Berglund, etc.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I personally have no problem with a 50 game season. Anything more would see the season/playoffs extend well into July.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
they did what they had to do. Without this TV revenue, the league would be sunk. Would have been a massive fight over the CBA.
Personally, I've found the hockey entertaining.

Not only that, but the players owed millions to the owners for already paid salaries from what I read when the playoffs started.

Reactions: MBH

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not really buying 82 games being feasible, just from a time crunch perspective, but I think the league might have to push the idea. If they started cancelling games now, they might have to start paying TV networks for any missed games they won't be televising. The longer the league can hold that sort of stuff off, they will.

On the shorter schedule front, it's something I've been in favor of for awhile. Play 72-76 games over the normal length of the season, cut out some traveling, insert a few longer off periods for teams, and I think it would help guys stay healthy throughout the season. Healthier players means better hockey, imo.

Not only that, but the players owed millions to the owners for already paid salaries from what I read when the playoffs started.

Yeah, players would have lost their butt in escrow. Also, from what I understand, the league would have owed advertisers/TV companies money from lost exposure. The TV deals stipulate X number of games and if those games aren't played...well, the networks are going to expect that to be made right some how.

Reactions: Oddbob

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The only young guns really needing the time at the NHL level right now are Zadina, Cholo and Seider.
Veleno, Ras and some of the others are probably AHL bound.
That said, I'm concerned about our college hockey, junior hockey and AHL hockey players. Can they afford to have seasons with no ticket sales? Or 20 percent ticket sales?

Right now, it's good to have a superscout from Sweden. Of all the countries in Europe, they're least like to shut hockey down. That's good for Johansson, Berggren, Soderblom, Berglund, etc.

I think Ras is more likely on the big team than Cholo at the start of the year. Honestly will be surprised if he plays in the AHL this year.

But that is important in terms of how do they plan on doing a condensed season. If the AHL isn't open right away, a lot of these clubs might carry something like 30 or 35 man rosters. I think the quality might suffer enough for the teams not to care, but there is a scenario where I think they say it is up to you guys to manage this with a bigger roster and they shrink the season window. If the AHL cannot go until fans are in the building, having expanded rosters with more games January through let's say March might make sense. Interestingly here to me this would balance well with the seven teams that didn't get to play. They will have better legs and they also will have the flexibility as worse teams to really want the extra development, we might rotate more guys through as a team not necessarily interested in the playoffs next year in that scenario.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not really any news here. The bubble has been successful, of course everybody HOPES for a full season, but there's still way too many moving parts to guarantee anything.

Just as players had better than average access to testing, they'll have better than average access to a vaccine, whenever that rolls out. But even if things "start on time", there's still no guarantee that it continues as projected for another 6-9 months.

Plan as best you can, but expect a lot of TBD in execution.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm not really buying 82 games being feasible, just from a time crunch perspective, but I think the league might have to push the idea. If they started cancelling games now, they might have to start paying TV networks for any missed games they won't be televising. The longer the league can hold that sort of stuff off, they will.

On the shorter schedule front, it's something I've been in favor of for awhile. Play 72-76 games over the normal length of the season, cut out some traveling, insert a few longer off periods for teams, and I think it would help guys stay healthy throughout the season. Healthier players means better hockey, imo.

Yeah, players would have lost their butt in escrow. Also, from what I understand, the league would have owed advertisers/TV companies money from lost exposure. The TV deals stipulate X number of games and if those games aren't played...well, the networks are going to expect that to be made right some how.

NHL hockey seasons have been 80 games as long as I can remember.

I see no compelling reason to reduce the season under normal circumstances.
Maybe start it a week earlier and end it a week later if compression is the issue. I've got no beef with that.

Maybe reduce the exhibition schedule by a week so you don't eat up more offseason from players who need a break.

During COVID, I don't see 82 games as realistic with a season starting in December, January or February... UNLESS they play games in bubbles again, which would reduce travel time. Even then, it sounds impossible.

The other thing is coronavirus is probably seasonal. So if it strikes in February and March and April, then what?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think Ras is more likely on the big team than Cholo at the start of the year. Honestly will be surprised if he plays in the AHL this year.

But that is important in terms of how do they plan on doing a condensed season. If the AHL isn't open right away, a lot of these clubs might carry something like 30 or 35 man rosters. I think the quality might suffer enough for the teams not to care, but there is a scenario where I think they say it is up to you guys to manage this with a bigger roster and they shrink the season window. If the AHL cannot go until fans are in the building, having expanded rosters with more games January through let's say March might make sense. Interestingly here to me this would balance well with the seven teams that didn't get to play. They will have better legs and they also will have the flexibility as worse teams to really want the extra development, we might rotate more guys through as a team not necessarily interested in the playoffs next year in that scenario.

i know you have great things to say about his work in GR last year.
But I can't get past 7 goals in 35 games and the memory I had of him Detroit.

I agree. No AHL should mean expanded rosters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->