Showtime piece on Zdeno Chara

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic

You might think whatever you want of him, you might call him an overrated goon, whatever, but when it comes to his work ethic and determination, he is a true role model. A guy with absolutely zero talent (and I don't think I am exaggerating) becoming one of the best Ds of the past few years, the best D of certain recent years, the captain of a SC winning team and... well, many other achievements, including (and don't argue with me, this is a given) a future Hall of Famer. No talent, just working harder than anyone else. Despite his size, not thanks to his size. While being a total class act off the ice.

An older KHL TV piece on him (forgive the loud music):

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I don't know how anyone can hate Big Z (except maybe Habs fans, but even their reasons are ridiculous) and anyone who thinks he's an overrated goon doesn't have a clue.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I can and I will hold certain opinions about him as a "player". As a person off the ice though, yes there's not much you can say negative about him.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I don't know how anyone can hate Big Z (except maybe Habs fans, but even their reasons are ridiculous) and anyone who thinks he's an overrated goon doesn't have a clue.

It's actually fairly easy to hate him. He takes so many cheap shots and is constantly running his mouth. He's hardly ever penalized for his wrongdoings either. Not an overly likable player on the ice by any means.. Unless you're a Boston Bruin fan of course.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
It's actually fairly easy to hate him. He takes so many cheap shots and is constantly running his mouth. He's hardly ever penalized for his wrongdoings either. Not an overly likable player on the ice by any means.. Unless you're a Boston Bruin fan of course.

Yeah pretty much.

Knotty Moog

May 12, 2012
Los Angeles

Damn straight. Not sure about the runni g the mouth part though

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
But this was my point. I'm sure that many Habs fans hate him. I'm also sure that many non-Bruins fans hate him for one reason or the other.

But all of them have to admit that this guy has simply earned his spot. Dirty or not, goon or not, he has worked his ass off, more than anyone else and now despite him being one of the most talentless guys in the league, he is one of the faces of the league, he is one of the best players in the league. Feel free to hate him, but he deserves respect.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada

Agree with this. He can easily play the villain being bigger than anyone so always "picking" on players, and he has that European Die Hard Villain look. He plays a real tough game. He doesnt really initiate much honestly, but he gets in trouble when he answers back to whatever was poking him. He tends to go overboard on occasion, but I see that behaviour a lot growing up around a few physical Alpha's. You mess around with them and they respond in a much more serious way and let you know they will win type thing.

Anyways, proud to have him as the Captain of the Bruins. Love everything about his game/personality except for the embellishing. Looks for a call to often for my taste but minor thing overall.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Very respectable player. Through shear force of will and work ethic he became a future hall of famer. Guy always is accountable for the abrasive way he plays too and has had numerous fights and confrontations on ice with his friend chris neil. He was very well respected in Ottawa's dressing room when he was there and his work ethic was contagious. I know "the code" is stupid but he seems like a player who just gets it. Keeps everything on the ice and respects players who respect him.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009

ya ridiculous reasons :facepalm:

best player on Mtl's most heated team, cheap shot artist, serial diver....absolutely ridiculous

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC

Maybe he's hardly penalized because they aren't cheap shots? Crazy thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->