show your hockey cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
I mainly collect certain player's cards (Kovalchuk, Lehtonen, Brule). Just purchased myself a Brule rookie from the Trilogy set. :) Nothing too valuable money wise, but it makes this Brule fanboy smile :)

I just started collecting again this year, after a 5-6 year hiatus. Some of the more notable ones I've purchased/pulled this year:

Trilogy rookie-Brule (pic below)
Brule SPX jersey/auto (redemption)
Trilogy Honorary Swatches - Leetch, Iginla, Kovalchuk, Lehtonen, Denis
Black Diamond rookies - Jussi Jokinen, Cam Ward, Alex Steen
UD Series 1: Arnott Jersey, rookies (Bochenski, Toivonen, Balastik)
Artifacts Dual Treasured Swatches Roenick /65
Artifacts Silver Tuomo Ruutu Autofacts /50
Trilogy Ice Scripts Luc Robitaille (redemption)
04/05 Spezza Sign of the Times

and I also got myself a free Anson Carter, Adrian Aucoin, Bobby Holik and Rostislav Olesz rookie showcase during the lockout.

Mostly purchased as singles, and bought some packs. Probably spent around 250-ish CDN so far, and a truckload of more common singles. Truly addictive hobby.

Last edited:

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Brule said:
I mainly collect certain player's cards (Kovalchuk, Lehtonen, Brule). Just purchased myself a Brule rookie from the Trilogy set. :) Nothing too valuable money wise, but it makes this Brule fanboy smile :)

on the pic i got the only 2 i didnt pull in a pack are the blackdiamond.. I bought Parise 25$ and Lundqvist 30$ wich both imo in few years.. should be more expensive. I pulled my first Crosby on my first UD pack.. hehe! :P and Havlat on my first UD pack of that year.. :innocent:

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Crusher20 said:
I have it 3 times... the beckett Value is 20$.

To be honest with you, Beckett is not even a remotely accurate guide to how much your cards are worth. For the best guide, just hop onto ebay, and search your cards out. That's what the market is willing to pay for the particular card. Beckett prices are just all inflated numbers.

And I'm sure you've heard this many times, but collectable cards of any sort shouldn't really by collecting due to their supposed "value".

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Do older cards have value just for being old? I have an OPC Terry Sawchuk card from his brief stint with the Rangers in 1969 (bought it for $5 a long time ago, and figured it would be cool to have).

I'm a poor student and I need money. Do you think it has any real value? There's a bunch of them on Ebay, and they vary in price from $5 to $70...which makes no sense to me at all

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I gave up about 2 years ago on cards. There are just too many. I collect rookies and you have to spend so much to get a good rookie. $5-10 a pack and more than half of those rookies available will probbaly never play in more than 25 NHL games.
As for the Thronton, I have at least 20 of those and about 15 Marleaus from that year.

19 Gretzky RC's
27 Lemeiux RC's
17 Roy RC's
1 Bobby Orr

My father has been buying me boxes ever since I was born in 76. He would bring home a box a week, easily. Not to mention, numerous packs everytime he went to Beckers. Back then you could get a wax box for $3-4 bucks. All the cards I opened he kept in mint condition. Last cards I got where a Sp authentic with Spezza< Nash Zetterberg etc. I got the auto rookie set. Then gave up as it was costing two much.
Cards are way to much mnoney now and no fun, so I just focus on collecting hockey pucks...

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
tangible_faith said:
I gave up about 2 years ago on cards. There are just too many ... Then gave up as it was costing two much.
Cards are way to much mnoney now and no fun ...
Agreed. I stopped around 1996, got maybe 6-7 packs in 2003, then nothing till I bought a box (1990 Topps) and three small team sets (2005 UD) this year. It's too much about resale value and numbered/jersey/whatever cards rather than colleckting for fun.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I just Bought Alexander Perezhogin RC SPx Signed Jersey 25$ dont know it is worth it, its a little bit damaged.. not much tough. but the sig is amazing

cparkq

Apr 10, 2005
quick unrelated question. I have a couple thousand cards saved from about 7-10 years ago when i collected as a kid. All in protective sleeves and/or glass casings, anyone know where i should take them to get them fairly appraised? Im just curious to see what ive got.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
I've got a pretty respectable collection, 2 years complete series of parkhurst.

2 brodeur rookies
1 hasek rookie
1 hull rookie
1 Sergei Federov Rookie
Bure Rookie
Assorted other Rookie cards
1 chelios rookie
1 J.R rookie
1 Pronger rookie
a buttload of random upper deck

and My Favorite, the extremely rare, pretty much worthless, but still a valued collectable, an:

Esso superstars Gretzky Rookie Card.

I'd have to take another look, but that's what I've got, I had an estimate done a while ago, and apparently I could get like 1200$ on auction, not that I'd ever think about selling them.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I have a Gretzky rookie in good shape. Probably worth the upper hundreds. I got it at a card store a while ago that had a clear-out of boxes from the 70's and 80's.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Those are some fancy cards I remember the Pro Set, Parkhurst and lets not forget the O-Pee-Chee with the rough card board finish on the backside I had some older cards from the 80s :biglaugh: I had hundreds of ProSets and some good ones but I just can't remember which ones.

My father on the other hand who is like 60 now used to collect all the hockey cards he could when he was younger, late 40s early 50s. He had Maurice Richards, Plantes, Howes etc but his step mother threw them away when he left home and joined the Navy. He said he had boxes full of them too :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I used to collect hockey cards about 15 years ago or so and I still have all my cards but packers were only .50 back then except for the OPC premiere that were like $5 pack. I haven't bought a pack of cards since like 1992 but from looking at stuff online, it seems that card collecting is complicated and expensive. Back then we had a Topps, Upper Deck, and a couple others. Now I see all these different sets with various subsets and the packs are expensive. The worst thing about the hobby is those old guys ripping off the kids at card shows. I know I got swindled as a 10 year old.

BChockeyfan

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Brule said:
To be honest with you, Beckett is not even a remotely accurate guide to how much your cards are worth. For the best guide, just hop onto ebay, and search your cards out. That's what the market is willing to pay for the particular card. Beckett prices are just all inflated numbers.

And I'm sure you've heard this many times, but collectable cards of any sort shouldn't really by collecting due to their supposed "value".

I agree...most collectors I know don't even buy Beckett anymore. When they get a "valuable" card, its "I wonder what I can get on eBay for this" as opposed to looking it up in the price guide.

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Brule said:

So true about Beckett for the most part. I collect older cards ... 60's and 70's ... I'm putting sets together that should cost be as much as 25-50% more according to Beckett.

But then again, my collection is relatively priceless ... it's not an investment, it's a hobby. If I wanted to invest, I'd call Rick Tocchet ... NOT!!!! :D

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
I used to collect hockey cards about 15 years ago or so and I still have all my cards but packers were only .50 back then except for the OPC premiere that were like $5 pack. I haven't bought a pack of cards since like 1992 but from looking at stuff online, it seems that card collecting is complicated and expensive. Back then we had a Topps, Upper Deck, and a couple others. Now I see all these different sets with various subsets and the packs are expensive. The worst thing about the hobby is those old guys ripping off the kids at card shows. I know I got swindled as a 10 year old.
This year, it's UD, UD, UD, UD and, yep, UD. No more OPC or Topps!! :shakehead And it is way too confusing when you consder the various brands, inserts, chase cards, etc. It's crazy. I've got a Beckett guide ... for the first 40 years of hockey cards, they alot maybe 5-7 pages ... the next 10 years, it's more like 50-70 pages.

I have more fun collecting the older cards ... 60's and 70's. Just about every OPC set every made ...

69-70
70-71
71-72
72-73
73-74
74-75
75-76
76-77
77-78
78-79
79-80
80-81
81-82
82-83
83-84
84-85
85-86
86-87
87-88
88-89
89-90
90-91
91-92
92-93
93-94
2000-01
01-02
02-03
03-04

Future project ... OPC 68-69, then older Topps and Parkie sets ... time to cash in the RRSPs ... NOT!!! :D

Last edited:

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
cparkq said:
quick unrelated question. I have a couple thousand cards saved from about 7-10 years ago when i collected as a kid. All in protective sleeves and/or glass casings, anyone know where i should take them to get them fairly appraised? Im just curious to see what ive got.

A formal appraisal will likely cost you and unless you have a vintage card, I'd say it's not worth the cost. Rather, you can ballpark the values yourself by either buying a Beckett or doing a search in eBay and see what a particular card/set is selling for.

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
arrbez said:
Do older cards have value just for being old? I have an OPC Terry Sawchuk card from his brief stint with the Rangers in 1969 (bought it for $5 a long time ago, and figured it would be cool to have).

I'm a poor student and I need money. Do you think it has any real value? There's a bunch of them on Ebay, and they vary in price from $5 to $70...which makes no sense to me at all
The prices on eBay reflect basic economics ... supply and demand with the condition of the card thrown in for good measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad