Prospect Info: Shoulld we start being concerned about the goalies in the system?

SchultzSquared*

look at a team like boston, they had thomas, rask, still have khudbidon and drafted subban.

Thomas... didn't reach NHL until 31... journeyman FA who took the hard road through Europe

Rask... traded for Raycroft

Khudobin... Minnesota 7th rounder 2004... got for two bust prospects

Shows that you don't need to worry about developing them in a straight line... goalies are everywhere

Think about this... the 100th best defenseman in the world is on a team's second pair probably... since there are 210 in the whole league

But the 100th best goalie in the world is probably outside the NHL or AHL altogether... leaves major junior college Europe

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
At 14th overall, he'd really have to be more than a 1b goalie to be a "great pick". He's yet to become a decent starter despite how hardly the Oilers are trying to force that to come true.

I absolutely detest management (KLowe in particular) for everything from drafting, trades, handling of FA and UFA's.

But goalies are very difficult things to draft and predict, and given the real lack of foresight and brain power in the organization; drafting a goalie would seem like an impossibility.

Dubnyk's SV %, in front of what is arguably the worst defence in the NHL, over the last 3 years has hovered around 0.914 to 0.917. Over the same time frame, Carey Price has gone from 0.923 to 0.913.

This is the first year Dubnyk has taken on the role of 'starter'. When compared to other starter's who are coming into their own this year, is Cory Schneider in front of one of the best D's in the league, really that much better at 0.923?

Dubnyk is literally neck and neck right now in SV% with such goalies as Price, Reimer, Fleury ... yet is playing behind the worst D in the league!!! What would his SV % and GAA look like if he was playing in Pittsburg or Toronto! A lot better.

Give the kid a break. As far as goalies go, he is still a kid at 26. Yes he could be better, but he is not the weakest link in this organization. Holes we need to fix in order of priority are:

1) Capable management group that can win a trade, sign a decent UFA contrac, sign a decent FA contract, show players that Edmonton is a destination of choice, recognize organizational weeknesses and fix them;
2) Capable scouting staff that can support 1;
3) Phyiscal shut-down D-man to fill the 1-2 spot (Build from the back out first);
4) Physical shut-down D-man to replace old Schultz, Whitney, etc.;
5) Big physical #2 center that can win face-offs, and is strong defenisively;
6) Big physical winger that can dig the puck out of the corners and provide enough offence to play top 6;
7) Better goalie than Dubnyk?

Arguably, 1-6 will do more to win you games than 7. Though if Khabi can play every game like he did last night, we will win every game. All Khabi did though, was increase his trade value in my mind.

Koto

May 3, 2011
To be honest, nothing about Roy or Bunz excites me. They're the same calibre as JDD or Dubynk. There's potential to be a starter, but if they end up in the NHL, odds are it's not as an elite goaltender. We really need to get a blue chip prospect, rather than just relying on quantity and hoping one of them is a diamond in the rough.

comparing those goalies to dubnyk is all the reason you need to not invest high picks in goalies.

dubnyk was a blue chipper. pick goalies late hope they turn out, be prepared to trade for/sign one.

goalies in the first round are usually mistakes.

PepsiFiend

Feb 19, 2009
Goaltenders are just too hard to predict... If I recall, when Dubnyk was drafted, alot of people were upset, not because they drafted a goalie, but because they chose Dubynk over Marek Schwartz.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Goaltenders are just too hard to predict... If I recall, when Dubnyk was drafted, alot of people were upset, not because they drafted a goalie, but because they chose Dubynk over Marek Schwartz.

I think you have to draft a goalie every year. Doesn't have to be in the top rounds. If one pick pans out every 4 years then so be it. I don't see the value of taking 5 forwards in 2012 and 0 goalies when 2012 was considered the draft of the defenseman and the oilers have so little depth at the goaltending position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad