Should Winnipeg, and Quebec City be back in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
If that's the way it is, we all should be living in an universe where hockey NEVER EXISTS! I hate the way these "fans" treat Phoenix. If the only way I can get relief from their blatent faulty thinking is to have hockey cease from being a sport, so be it. I, and all southern NHL fans, don't deserve this disrespect.

Hey you have the right to like pheonix all you want to just like i and many other hockey fans have the right to say and think that the NHL does not belong in pheonix.maybe one day down the road pheonix will go back to winnipeg were they belong.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
The NHL owners were simply too greedy. The fact is Ottawa at the time did not deserve a team. They did not have an adequate arena until 1996. But they had the 50 million the owners wanted. Also the same year Tampa gave the owners 50 million, that 100 million in the owners pockets, and they didn't even get their arena up and running until 4 years after.

Both cities didn't have arena's all they had was money and the green monster blinded the greedy owner, and that is why Ottawa got their team.

Well, wouldn't that be the same situation with teams like quebec or winnipeg ? Except the price is probably now higher than 50 millions. It's still a good way for them to fill their pockets.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
If that's the way it is, we all should be living in an universe where hockey NEVER EXISTS! I hate the way these "fans" treat Phoenix. If the only way I can get relief from their blatent faulty thinking is to have hockey cease from being a sport, so be it. I, and all southern NHL fans, don't deserve this disrespect.

I understand what you are saying and don't particularly enjoy pointing out such facts to fans of certain teams. But your response to my post required it IMHO. Not everyone here is bashing your team for the sake of it. Some people are motivated by the desire to see NHL hockey return to markets which once had teams.

Why do you even bother checking out threads such as this? Are you against a team in Winnipeg or Quebec City or Hartford, for that matter?

GHOST

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Hey you have the right to like pheonix all you want to just like i and many other hockey fans have the right to say and think that the NHL does not belong in pheonix.maybe one day down the road pheonix will go back to winnipeg were they belong.

If that's the case, OLYMPIA STADIUM, you belong in a world where hockey never exists!

This is why I'm ashamed to be an NHL fan. I go to Coyotes games myself. And the thought that these "fans" says that Phoenix doesn't deserve an NHL team and needs to go back to Winnipg "where it belongs" sickens me. It's "fans" like these that is ruining the NHL.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I understand what you are saying and don't particularly enjoy pointing out such facts to fans of certain teams. But your response to my post required it IMHO. Not everyone here is bashing your team for the sake of it. Some people are motivated by the desire to see NHL hockey return to markets which once had teams.

Why do you even bother checking out threads such as this? Are you against a team in Winnipeg or Quebec City or Hartford, for that matter?

GHOST

Only if these "fans" says that hockey doesn't belong in Phoenix, Tampa, etc, but leave LA alone. If those people never existed, I would be all for it. But, after being exposed to these "fans," I rather that both them and me live in a world without hockey.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Only if these "fans" says that hockey doesn't belong in Phoenix, Tampa, etc, but leave LA alone. If those people never existed, I would be all for it. But, after being exposed to these "fans," I rather that both them and me live in a world without hockey.

LOL. A world without hockey. Imagine that.

GHOST

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com

Why move los angeles. The kings have been in the NHL since 1967-68 and i remmber that expansion.i did not like to see the minnesota north stars or even the california seals move back in the day. but pheonix belongs back in winnipeg along with colorado back in quebec.i am a fan of the old days and i am alot older than alot of the fans here.its to bad that alot of the hockey fans on this hockey board were not around back in the 1960s and 1970s and missed out on some great and classic hockey then.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I couldn't exist in such a world.

I can, and I actually win in that situation. That way, I don't get bashed by those faulty-thinking fans that says Phoenix doesn't deserve a franchise. All the unrighteous grief would never happen, and I will be one happy camper. I and the southern teams' fans doesn't deserve this grief. I wonder how those people would feel if hockey as a sport never existed.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
Well, wouldn't that be the same situation with teams like quebec or winnipeg ? Except the price is probably now higher than 50 millions. It's still a good way for them to fill their pockets.

Your right it is an excellent way for the owners to put money into their own pockets. The money they get from expansion does not have to be shared with the players. The price I am sure is much higher and this is another advantage that the Americans have over the Canadian cities. Lets look at Nashville, the government funds the arena, and then someone purchases the team through expansion and only pays 50 million. (just a guess as to what it was back then) Now the owner only has to pay 50 million and stays at a brand new barn for almost nothing. On the other hand, in Canada look at what happens, Toronto, Montreal both funded by the TEAM not the government. Not sure about Vancouver or Edmonton. Calgary got there arena through the olympics. Also look at when Quebec left, the government wanted to bail them out and there was a large outcry, then the government backed out. If you were to put a team in Quebec City or Winnipeg the NHL would want you to have an arena already, and of course the fee. It would cost a lot more to put an expansion team in Canada then the USA because the Canadian government does not help. Let's just say that 50 million is the going rate for a franchise, now you need an arena, that another 250 million at least. 300 million to put a team in Quebec City or Winnipeg or would you put one in Nashville for 50?

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Hello! LA is nearly on the same latitude as Phoenix. I consider that as big as a "non-traditional" market as Phoenix, and, as such, not deserving as a franchise. Don't give me the bull**** that LA deserves it but Phoenix doesn't again. It's a double standard, and you know it!

The LA KINGS have the hockey history and have been around since 1967-68, and as far as winnipeg and quebec they started in 1972-73 in the WHA.Who in the world wants to go to pheonix to see hockey ecept a few people in pheonix.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
The LA KINGS have the hockey history and have been around since 1967-68, and as far as winnipeg and quebec they started in 1972-73 in the WHA.Who in the world wants to go to pheonix to see hockey ecept a few people in pheonix.

Who in their right minds thinks LA is a hockey city but Phoenix isn't? Honestly, don't respond. I've exposed you as a double standard imposing basher. And, BTW, LA is not a hockey town, no matter how long the Kings played there.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
Your right it is an excellent way for the owners to put money into their own pockets. The money they get from expansion does not have to be shared with the players. The price I am sure is much higher and this is another advantage that the Americans have over the Canadian cities. Lets look at Nashville, the government funds the arena, and then someone purchases the team through expansion and only pays 50 million. (just a guess as to what it was back then) Now the owner only has to pay 50 million and stays at a brand new barn for almost nothing. On the other hand, in Canada look at what happens, Toronto, Montreal both funded by the TEAM not the government. Not sure about Vancouver or Edmonton. Calgary got there arena through the olympics. Also look at when Quebec left, the government wanted to bail them out and there was a large outcry, then the government backed out. If you were to put a team in Quebec City or Winnipeg the NHL would want you to have an arena already, and of course the fee. It would cost a lot more to put an expansion team in Canada then the USA because the Canadian government does not help. Let's just say that 50 million is the going rate for a franchise, now you need an arena, that another 250 million at least. 300 million to put a team in Quebec City or Winnipeg or would you put one in Nashville for 50?

Oh I agree entirely. What I was saying is that I wouldn't see the american owners refusing an expension for a team in Canada. But, as I've said, if Quebec had an arena and an owner was making a serious bid to bring a team here, I wouldn't see them refusing. Same could be said for Winnipeg, except they already have an arena.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
I too have read stuff on the Whalers and I could not believe that he wanted to move them to an airport hanger. Karmanos is scum for doing this to Hartford.

This always puts a tear in my eye....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXxgkxHTxI4

best jerseys ever

Very good post about karmanos and moving the whalers.this should never have happened the whalers should be still in hartford today instead of carolina.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
nd. I've exposed you as a double standard imposing basher.

Let me ask you this: What would happen if the Red Wings NEVER EXIST? I see you're from the Motor City. What would happen if that great franchise never came to be?;)

I am a original 6 era fan and i am not a fan of the current NHL or all of these expansion teams and city relocations.winnipeg, quebec, hartford or even the atlanta flames and minnesota north stars should never moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad