Should Winnipeg, and Quebec City be back in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
How about you contribute more to the thread besides that same "use the search function". I don't want to, so if you want to convince me so bad on how wrong I am, then dig in, otherwise, forget about it.

Why not just come out and say "I don't want to be convinced otherwise"? That's closer to the truth, yes?

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
Wow there is lots of incorrect information going on in this thread. First of all Quebec does not have 9 million poeple. Check the facts its actually just under 7.7 million.

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/070329/d070329b.htm

Now for those who say because Alberta has a smaller population than Quebec, that Quebec deserves another team. Well it may or may not. That depends on economics as well as local population base. Remember of the 7.7 million in Quebec 3.8 are in Montreal and 350 K are in the Gatineau area (which is part of the Ottawa metro). So before you already have about 4.2 of that population with a team locallly. Then when you consider other metros in Quebec, you have no place that can potentially support a team besides Quebec City. Alberta on the other hand has just over 3.4 million and a third of that is in Edmonton and a third in Calgary. That means they have enough of a local population to support the team. The more telling issue when you compare the 2 provinces is to look at the economy of each.

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/econ15.htm

Compare Alberta with Quebec and you will see that Alberta on a per capita basis blows the doors off of Quebec. That means that the average Albertan has more more money to spend on things like NHL hockey.
If one were to take a third of Albertas GDP for each of the 2 metro's, you can see with a similar population as Manitoba they have an economy almost twice that of Manitoba. You cannot compare the areas without this information.

Thank you for supplying something valuable to the conversation.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Why not just come out and say "I don't want to be convinced otherwise"? That's closer to the truth, yes?

No kidding. There is a 650 post thread still on the front page describing why Winnipeg is not a good fit for the NHL. Dont get mad at everyone else because you are too lazy to read it.

BigMac1212

Registered Insominac
I hate these fans that says "Phoenix doesn't deserve a NHL team, but LA and St. Louis does." Huh? How often does it snow in LA? Isn't St. Louis below the Mason-Dixon line? If these people are consistant, LA and St. Loius HAS to be in the same list as Phoenix and Tampa Bay. That's what disgusts me about these threads.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
I hate these fans that says "Phoenix doesn't deserve a NHL team, but LA and St. Louis does." Huh? How often does it snow in LA? Isn't St. Louis below the Mason-Dixon line? If these people are consistant, LA and St. Loius HAS to be in the same list as Phoenix and Tampa Bay. That's what disgusts me about these threads.

Hey i was a Atlanta Flames fan back in the 1970s, that is another team that had no business moving. they were drawing at the Omni. They moved because of the management.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Then read the thread. It's filled with persuasive arguments on both sides.
I kinda have to agree here. This stuff has been beaten to death as you can see by the 600+ post thread on Winnipeg (here's hoping for 1k VERY soon), so you can't blame people for not wanting to rehash stuff that's already being discussed actively in another thread.

If you want to give us something new and different about Quebec City, that'd be a heck of a lot more interesting, IMO anyway. :)

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.

I'm not suggesting that teams below the mason dixon line, or teams that don't get snow in their cities don't deserve teams. Cities like Dallas, Tampa, San Jose, and Anaheim have done well.

Maybe I'm wrong to suggest relocation, but without the NHL expanding, (which has been discussed, but I don't agree with) cities like Vegas, KC, Winnipeg, Quebec City, Seattle etc. likely won't have the oportunity to have NHL franchises. And there are NHL teams that are struggling, and will likely at some point will be considered in relocation, if they don't manage to turn it around.

Like I said before, I'm not in here to start a fight with anyone, I purposely left naming specific franchises as candidates to move, because I didn't want to alienate fans.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
If you want to give us something new and different about Quebec City, that'd be a heck of a lot more interesting, IMO anyway. :)

I'd actually kinda like a Quebec City thread. I was a Nordiques fan long before they moved to Denver, mainly because for some reason they were always on the cable channels here in the States.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
Quebec City, and Winnipeg? Should those cities have teams back in the NHL?

Certain NHL franchises south of the border havn't done well, I'm not going to point any fingers at what ones, but some have not. There was a stat put out not too long ago, that 33% of the leagues revenues were generated by the 6 Canadian teams. And that if you included Detroit, and Minnesota, and Buffalo, which draw a lot of their revenue from Canada aswell, which accounts for 44 % of the league revenue.

My question is obviously, based on the lack of success of some NHL franchises in the states, and the numbers that have proven a great part of the league revenue comes from north of the border, do you think that merrits on its own, that the NHL should strongly consider going back to those cities?

Of course ! These cities deserve nhl teams ! Quebec city will get back a team when we will have a new arena. I'm 100% sure of it. The problem is when ? Not even the 400 years of existance of quebec or the world championship of 2008 got us a new one. But when it will happen, maybe in 5-10 years, a nhl team will come back in quebec and never leave the city again.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Seeing teams like carolina and tampa winning the cup turns my stomach.i am not a fan of recent expansion but was happy to see the NHL go back to minnesota and atlanta, 2 more cities that should never have lost there teams.

People have tried to pin you down here, and you've ignored them, so I'll ask directly:

What's the difference between Carolina and Tampa, and Atlanta?

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Hello! Atlanta, based on your recolection, isn't a "traditional" hockey town. You're so inconsistant, it's scary.

No Atlanta is not a original 6 city. but the flames in atlanta are things that i recall from my younger days back in the 1970s.i still cant believe that the red wings beat atlanta in the 1978 playoffs.and i do have a couple of atlanta flames jerseys along side with winnipeg, hartford and quebec jerseys.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
Then read the thread. It's filled with persuasive arguments on both sides.

If you don't, then regardless of what you claim, you really don't want to be convinced.

The reason I don't want to, is because I don't want to have to read through all the bs that has likely already been apart of that thread. And what I mean by BS, I mean the *****ing, and bickering that has already gone on in it, and likely consists of 90% of that thread.
If someone wants to be a part of this thread, and supply me with info that will prove me right, wrong, whatever, great. BTW, my reason for being here isn't to be right or wrong, but to get a better understanding of the bigger picture. I think that Winnipeg would do well back in the NHL, I think Quebec City deserves another shot at the NHL aswell, and I believe there should be atleast another team in SW Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->