Should We Resign Bonino and At What Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
After having an outstanding playoffs last season for the Penguins, it was expected that Nick Bonino could follow that up. He is playing for a new contract, as he is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st. Some analysts stated that they expected him to have a strong season, earning himself a new contract worth around $4 million per season.

Before he had his hat trick last night in Winnipeg, Bonino had just nine goals this season and had less even strength goals than Patric Hornqvist. He just was not playing well at all, except on the penalty kill. Bonino is one of the Penguins best penalty killers and a big reason as to why the kill was so good in last years playoffs. His five-on-five play has not been good, and his line has not been creating enough scoring opportunities in the offensive zone. He was even demoted to the fourth line during the previous game against the Buffalo Sabres.

Read More

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/03/08/nick-bonino-breaks-long-scoring-slump-can-continue/

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Don't sign a player immediately following a hat trick. He'll ask for like 50% more, guaranteed. Let him humble himself with a 0 point game. Then strike.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
No. His next contract will probably be his best chance at a big payday. He should leverage his time with the Pens (name exposure, cup ring, shown he can produce at big moments, etc) and get paid handsomely by some other club. The Pens don't have the cap room.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
No. His next contract will probably be his best chance at a big payday. He should leverage his time with the Pens (name exposure, cup ring, shown he can produce at big moments, etc) and get paid handsomely by some other club. The Pens don't have the cap room.

Agreed.

I do think he'll step it up and be far better in the playoffs than he has been this year, but I think for what he brings during the season, he's not worth more than ~2-2.5M to us, he's going to get paid a lot more than that, and we can't afford what he's going to get.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
I put don't care. But I do care...kind of. I would care if he continues to suck (other than last game), has a lousy playoff, and they re-sign him. If he plays decently I'd be fine with either letting him go or giving him a 1-year deal. If he plays GREAT and has an awesome post-season, I think I could still go either way...but still might scoff at a big contract. I don't think it is good for the rest of the club when folks are lazy all regular season long and are just coasting until the playoffs. The bar should be set high when playing for a defending cup-winner, we've had too many "coasting vets" over the years who have taken valuable roster spots away from young, hungry players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad