Should We Resign Bonino and At What Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No and at no price. He should flat out not be retained currently. Now, if he has a big playoff run again, we'll see for sure. But right now, easy no.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I feel like even at his worst, he would making a good 4th line center if we played him like one. The main issue I've seen with him this year is the fact they HAVE to play him with Kessel. If you can bring him back on a one year deal at two million to basically replace Fehr why not?

I feel like a fourth line of Kuhnhackl - Bonino - Wilson isn't the worst thing we could go into next year with. Or if you plan on bring Sundqvist up, roll Bonino - Sundqvist - Kuhnhackl and let Bones fill in for defensive draws if you're worried about Sundqvist.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Playoffs. Repeat 2016, resign 2-2.5 ideally but no more than 3. Dud in playoffs, walk or $1.5-1.9.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I feel like even at his worst, he would making a good 4th line center if we played him like one. The main issue I've seen with him this year is the fact they HAVE to play him with Kessel. If you can bring him back on a one year deal at two million to basically replace Fehr why not?

I feel like a fourth line of Kuhnhackl - Bonino - Wilson isn't the worst thing we could go into next year with. Or if you plan on bring Sundqvist up, roll Bonino - Sundqvist - Kuhnhackl and let Bones fill in for defensive draws if you're worried about Sundqvist.

if he's on the 4th line, I'd rather just let Sundqvist be 4C. If he doesn't play better in the playoffs than he has so far this year, I don't want him back.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's going to be looking for too much on his next contract, regardless of what he does (or likely doesn't do) in the post season. Easy pass, for me. I truly feel that there are lots of options out there that can put up ~30 points and ~10 goals with Phil Kessel on their wing nearly all season long. Along with the fairly generous TOI and favorable situations/matchups.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Echoing others about it depending on his playoffs.

If he can repeat his 2016 playoff performance and prove he's one of those "sucks in the regular season, turns into a beast in the playoffs" types, then I might be interested in seeing him re-signed.

But if he's just average or below in the playoffs, then let him walk. His regular season performance has been abysmal and I don't see it getting any better as he gets closer to 30 years old.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
If he owns the playoffs again yeah, but not for a raise. If Cullen retires this year, Sundqvist will be ready.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Let him walk. Some GM will fall for Bonino's occasional great stretches, and overpay him as if he always plays like that. I hope that GM is not Rutherford. I would rather extend Cullen for another year than hope for Bonino not playing like crap in the regular season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What if he has a playoffs like last year and comes back with a 4.5-5M asking price? Which really isn't that far left field.

Would that really be OK? Because that seems like bat**** insane money for Nick Bonino, to me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
What if he has a playoffs like last year and comes back with a 4.5-5M asking price? Which really isn't that far left field.

Would that really be OK? Because that seems like bat**** insane money for Nick Bonino, to me.

I think even without having a solid playoffs he can probably ask for 3.5 - 4. I mean Carl Hagelin is making 4 million, is a winger, and puts up about the same production while playing in less circumstances and putting up less minutes.

My issue is that without Bonino and say you lose Hags in the expansion you are essentially looking at this without resigning anyone.

X - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentz - Malkin - Kessel
Wilson - X - Rust
Kuhn - X - X

Obviously, Sheary comes back and you move up Sundqvist, but if Sundqvist doesn't perform you are leaving three bottom six roles open. I also don't necessarily know who you sign or trade for with the assets we have. I guess you can hope Rowney and Archibald are legitimate, but I dunno.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I voted for a one year deal but come to think of it he probably wants something with term at this point in his career.

If he wants term with us he'll need to lower dollar value

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
After the postseason I thought it would be good for the Pens to eventually sign him to a $4 million per year contract. :help:

Sundqvist will replace him next season.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Barring him going GOAT in the playoffs and taking a discount I don't see Bonino playing in Pittsburgh next year...basically no matter what someone else will offer him more term and money than we can or frankly should. That cap space can be spent better elsewhere, especially when his replacement is likely already in the organization.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think even without having a solid playoffs he can probably ask for 3.5 - 4. I mean Carl Hagelin is making 4 million, is a winger, and puts up about the same production while playing in less circumstances and putting up less minutes.

Then let him walk. Hagelin is a better player than Bonino.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Even if he turns it on for the PO he can still go **** himself. Don't need another 7 month **** show on the off chance he finds that God damn ****ing switch :rant: :rant:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Then let him walk. Hagelin is a better player than Bonino.

I'd agree, but on this team is a 3rd line winger like Hagelin making 4 million better in the long term than a 3rd line center like Bonino making 3.5. I feel like you can fill in the left side with Kuhn, Wilson, Guentz and Sheary and let Hagelin go. Who exactly is filling our 3C or 4C, and you can go the UFA route, but the only centers I see are players like Boyle, Gagner, Greening, that are all basically worse versions of Bones.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Even if he turns it on for the PO he can still go **** himself. Don't need another 7 month **** show on the off chance he finds that God damn ****ing switch :rant: :rant:

Its ironic though that we would hate Neal for disappearing in PO and playing great in RS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad