Should we have challenged? (2/25)

Should we have challenged the tying goal?

• Total voters

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I mean, the puck was there, he didn’t have to come out to cover it really. It was within reach.

Like, Rittich said in his interview he was literally just about to cover it when it was poked through him. I don’t think there’s any contact there that supports the argument Rittich could play that appropriately.

There doesn't have to be contact because Hyman didn't try to move and made it harder for Rittich to cover the puck by standing in his crease that is no goal.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
There doesn't have to be contact because Hyman didn't try to move and made it harder for Rittich to cover the puck by standing in his crease that is no goal.
I know there doesn’t have to be contact. But there has to be visual evidence that Hyman’s presence prevented Rittich from doing something. And that simply doesn’t exist. Like, Rittich lunges out with the intent of covering the puck and in fact almost gets there before Nylander knocks it under him.

You can’t argue that he prevented Rittich from doing something when the video shows Rittich attempting to do the exact thing you’re arguing Hyman’s presence prevented him from doing.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I know there doesn’t have to be contact. But there has to be visual evidence that Hyman’s presence prevented Rittich from doing something. And that simply doesn’t exist. Like, Rittich lunges out with the intent of covering the puck and in fact almost gets there before Nylander knocks it under him.

You can’t argue that he prevented Rittich from doing something when the video shows Rittich attempting to do the exact thing you’re arguing Hyman’s presence prevented him from doing.
Either way we will never know as we are to scared to take a chance.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Flames got what they deserved. The way they played they didn't deserve 2 pts. Frankly they didn't even deserve the single pt. Rittich did but the rest of the team certainly didn't. Ward knew it and wasn't going to take a chance on throwing away a gifted pt by being greedy. The hockey gods have long memories.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Such a Flames thread! Let's pretend we didn't miss an empty net, which is the primary reason we lost. Then we can talk something to death, despite being the right call, that would have been completely insignificant, had Lindholm been able to hit an open net.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Such a Flames thread! Let's pretend we didn't miss an empty net, which is the primary reason we lost. Then we can talk something to death, despite being the right call, that would have been completely insignificant, had Lindholm been able to hit an open net.
Tkachuk should've shot it from the red line. If anything Lindholm should have held on to the puck and waited for support. The angle was too tight.

Hanifin then had a golden opportunity to alleviate pressure and finish the game off but overskated the puck and gave it right back to the Leafs. So much went wrong in the lead-up to the goal that is so typical of this team

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Tkachuk should've shot it from the red line. If anything Lindholm should have held on to the puck and waited for support. The angle was too tight.

Hanifin then had a golden opportunity to alleviate pressure and finish the game off but overskated the puck and gave it right back to the Leafs. So much went wrong in the lead-up to the goal that is so typical of this team
I agree, its like they strive to find ways to lose, these days

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
I get that people have it out for the coach (I do too), but I guarantee the same people here complain if we challenge the goal and end up losing the call and the game in regulation.

Still think it was the right call.

He was damned if he did and damned if he didn’t. It was a reasonable, responsible choice that 95% of coaches would have made. Wrong time of game to make that gamble.

On the other hand, I would have loved a challenge there. Make the point that Rittich wasn’t beaten clean in 2 consecutive games. Try to rally your guys and maybe even game plan for a short handed attack to finish out the game. Could have been a galvanizing moment for the team. But crazy nonetheless.

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020
Rittich didn't make many mistakes in those past 2 games, but that goal was likely the only one. Attempting to come out and smother a loose puck vs. just staying 'wide' and where he was, would have been the smarter play until the puck got closer into pouncing distance.

Sad to lose that game after scoring first, but life goes on.

If you want to be mad at something/someone, send your emails to "[email protected]"

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Rittich didn't make many mistakes in those past 2 games, but that goal was likely the only one. Attempting to come out and smother a loose puck vs. just staying 'wide' and where he was, would have been the smarter play until the puck got closer into pouncing distance.

If you want to be mad at something/someone, send your emails to "[email protected]"

Why is it so hard to be mad at 2 things at once? Like we can chew gum and walk at the same time.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Changed my mind. Should have challenged and hoped it went against us. Then put Lucic and Tkachuk out to kill. That one point is going to come back to bite the tank

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I voted yes.
I know we wouldn't have won the call.
Leafs get a free ride every game. Call goes up to Toronto.
No brainer we lose it.........but what if? We'll never know.
If we challenge it, it's another Leafs power play.
Maybe the Leafs win the game, maybe not.
If the Leafs score maybe our team gets fired up and doesn't have such a stinker of a game they had tonight.

I honestly don't know what the right call would have been but if that's our boys in the crease all over the goalie the refs on the ice call it goaltender interference right off the bat and there wouldn't have even been an option to challenge it.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
My

My Take is Nylander interfered with Rittich just before he scored, more than Hyman. Hyman's presence their was equally a result of Flames defender, but Hyman remained in the crease, made contract with Rittich before any Flame gained puck control and before the ouck crossed the line. Then, Nylander misfires on his 1st rebound shot attempt, hitting Rittich's leg with his stick, follow through. Nylander is encroaching the crease on his own esteem. His contract with Rittich delayed Rittich's attempt to reach the loose puck. Nylander's reaction time on 2nd rebound beat Rittich to smothering it, right after Nylander's conract with him.
I have seen numerous previous contact in crease assault on loose pucks, rebounds near the crease, result in being called back on goals efentually scored. Those rulings were that the goalie was contacted in his crease just prior to puck crossing the goal-line. And that an opposing player was encroaching the crease prior to a goal scored.
These similar criteria happened here ( there).
That is my understanding and opinion. Should have challenged based on recent previous calls of similar nature.
I move on now and have lost a bit more faith in Ward, and coaching/ management running this rendition of "Flames".

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

I don't blame Rittich for his actions as much as I blame the happless failed attempt by a few Flames defenders on this play. Nobody taking a couple of Leafs out of the play physically, on top of falling on top of each other but not coveting or gettkng the puck out of harms way, as the Flames responsibility for goal scored against.
In hind-sight, Nylander's 2nd whack at the puck might not have gone in, through Rittich's moving body, if he had stayed solid, strong in front and not moving toward the puck. Any goal scored, in hind-sight, if a goalie didn't a certain way they might have saved the shot from scoring on them. Rittich was battling and trying to control the kaos!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->