Should we give Reid Boucher another shot?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boucher will get drafted by Seattle and light up the Canucks every time they play them. Book it.

But seriously, unless Green walks the plank at the end of the season, Boucher is done in VanCity...same as Goldy.

Unfortunately Green likes his muckers and grinders on the third and fourth lines, and up-top, neither guy was ever going to replace anyone in the top-six.

But I suppose on a positive note, both guys are legit star players in the AHL and cost the Canucks next to nothing to acquire. Boucher a waiver-wire pickout and Goldy acquired for Yannick Hansen who's retired from the NHL.

Reactions: go comets

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
AAAA player for me. good boost to Utica but he isnt a top 6 nhler. he isnt fast enough, physical enough, or defensively sound enough to play in a bottom 6. i doubt he'd contribute enough offensively to overcome those factors.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
AAAA player for me. good boost to Utica but he isnt a top 6 nhler. he isnt fast enough, physical enough, or defensively sound enough to play in a bottom 6. i doubt he'd contribute enough offensively to overcome those factors.

He doesn't necessarily need to be a top 6 forward. He could be a 3rd liner, in a Leivo-type role (albeit worse defensively), and get some 2nd unit PP time. In any event, we need a shakeup right now.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Have to think Goldobin, Baertschi, or Boucher would be worth looking at over icing the rotting corpse of Loui Eriksson night after night.

Reactions: pomorick

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I read "Reid" and thought Brandon Reid, followed by "How old is this thread?".

I'm not against it, but I'd rather see Baer or Goldy. Knowing our luck, we might need all three though.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I feel like if we run into injuries and need to recall a top six forward, he's earned a shot. He's probably behind Baertschi and Goldobin in the pecking order, but he's been a good soldier on the farm.

Right now, though, there's no room or need for him to come up.
He had better be ahead of Goldobin in the pecking order, he's three times the hockey player Goldy is. Better than Baertchi too, but at least that's a close race. Right now Boucher is the probably best player in the AHL and with his ability to finish checks and kill penalties there's really no reason not to give him one final shot up here.

Reactions: vanuck

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Nope.

I see him as a top 6 role or nothing.

If you have Reid Boucher as your top 6 forward, then you’re in trouble.
There's no reason he couldn't be a bottom six option here. He is a very good two way hockey player. We should at least have another look.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
Best of luck to Boucher. He was a good soldier for the organization and an absolute stud for the Comets. Hope he does well overseas.

I'm happy for him, he'll light it up there. He never had the skating ability to make it as a middle 6 guy here, and the top 6 is too full. Maybe he'll get a shot somewhere else in the NHL tho after a year in the KHL. Good luck to him.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Baertschi
Boucher
Goldobin
Tryamkin

All lost assets. May not be nhl players but assets nonetheless that we got zip for.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think he's not good enough for Canucks top 6 and his value to us lies in developing players in Utica for Canucks. You still need talent in the AHL but to answer OP no he's not making Canucks roster barring injuries.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

serious question and I’m not ripping on you ... how many full ahl games did you watch last year? Your assessment of his skill set is way off

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
serious question and I’m not ripping on you ... how many full ahl games did you watch last year? Your assessment of his skill set is way off

I watched almost all of them and his assessment is pretty much spot-on. Those are the reasons why Boucher got waived by New Jersey, why he couldn't stick on the Canucks and why he's signing in the KHL. Good luck to him; he was fun to watch in the AHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is all about the GM doing Boucher a favor by enabling him to sign a KHL contract early. In terms of returning to play, the AHL is light-years behind the NHL these days, and they simply can't operate without fans in their buildings.

So who knows when the Utica Comets will eventually get back on the ice? It might not be until January. And sadly there are a lot of UFA's and RFA's who are left in total limbo, and might not earn a paycheck for the rest of 2020.

Of course I'n not heard anything about the KHL either. Supposedly they're all gathering for training camps shortly, but will this actually happen? I'm not sure about the economics of the KHL, but I'd be surprised if they're viable without fans in the building.

But obviously Boucher and his agent thing otherwise.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Baertschi
Boucher
Goldobin
Tryamkin

All lost assets. May not be nhl players but assets nonetheless that we got zip for.

That post is wrong on so many levels. We didn't lose Baertschi for nothing. We tried to lose him but we couldn't.

Players with NHL prospects don't typically bolt to the KHL before finding out if there is NHL interest. Boucher could have waited to see if he would be qualified before he left for the KHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Baertschi, Boucher and Goldy have all been on waivers with no takers. In fact I think both Baertschi and Boucher cleared waivers twice each...which says a lot about how much 'asset value' they have.

The only guy still in play is Tryamkin....and if he does sign, he'd never end up on waivers anyway. And if he re-signs in the KHL, then it would say a lot about how much the Canucks value him, given that their blueline is gong show.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This is all about the GM doing Boucher a favor by enabling him to sign a KHL contract early. In terms of returning to play, the AHL is light-years behind the NHL these days, and they simply can't operate without fans in their buildings.

So who knows when the Utica Comets will eventually get back on the ice? It might not be until January. And sadly there are a lot of UFA's and RFA's who are left in total limbo, and might not earn a paycheck for the rest of 2020.

Of course I'n not heard anything about the KHL either. Supposedly they're all gathering for training camps shortly, but will this actually happen? I'm not sure about the economics of the KHL, but I'd be surprised if they're viable without fans in the building.

But obviously Boucher and his agent thing otherwise.

Chalk up Boucher to the Corona virus and foreshadowing by Benning. Once the pandemic wiped out the AHL and delayed the NHL indefinitely things didn't look rosy for Bouche. When the NHL finally started to set things up for a return to this season and playoffs, the teams were allowed to bring up AHL players like a Black Aces team. Boucher was not on the list constructed by Benning. Hint #1.

The AHL has zero plans for the 20-21 season. It is purely on the path of the COVID-19 virus. Without a guaranteed fan base (sold out in Utica starting with the 2015 run up to the playoffs and the playoffs which followed and ending with the last game this season on 2/29) if the league were to have to play before no fans or a very limited number, the AHL, which is purely dependent on the gate, will not play the season at all. Hint #2.

If the next NHL season is as strapped for dollars as it appears it will be, the AHL vets will be likely be looking at smaller paychecks and some of the RFA status guys may simply not be given QOs. Hint #3.

He would have very likely been amenable to re-signing a Canucks contract, but after being arguably the top player in the AHL this past season considering that he played 10 fewer games than the player who outscored him by 3 points for the AHL scoring title. He led the Comets in both goals and points for the last 3 seasons running. In the 2019-20 season he set the Comets records for both goals and points and then this season broke both of his own records in only 53 GP. He also was selected to AHL All Star Classic 3 times and was named to the AHL All-Star First team this season as well. Considering all of his accomplishments which were better every season, would probably have asked for a little more money and it would have been warranted. Not sure Benning would have seen it that way and that is backed up by the fact that Benning gave him permission to get out of his contract to negotiate with other teams. Hint #4.

So, when you look at this list of uncertainty, a player like Boucher was guaranteed nothing for 20-21. The KHL offer was a sure thing and pays him $1.1 Mil. That's twice what he would earn here for 2 seasons. Can't blame him one bit for taking better care of his family.

He will play for Avangard Omsk of the KHL in Moscow. His will be coached by former NHL boss Bob Hartley and join former Canuck Sergei Shirokov and othe Former NHLers Vyacheslav Voynov, Cody Franson, Brandon McMillan, and Alexei Emelin.

Others on the roster this season were:
former Nashville Predator Taylor Beck
former Colorado Avalanche Sven Andrighetto
former Oiler, Penguin, Coyote, and Senator Rob Klinkhammer
4yr AHL-Rockford IceHog Ville Pokka

Best of luck to you Reid. You will be missed by by the Utica fan base, but even moreso by your teammates, especially the likes of Lind, Jasek, Lockwood, Michaelis.

Reid had become a complete player. He played both ends, back checked hard, played on both special team units. He was the best Comets forward to model the pro game. Who knows who will adopt that role now. Bailey is not a complete 200 ft player. Baertschi will not be there and Camper will probably be in Europe like Boucher. That doesn't leave much with what we know they have coming back.

AHL Hockey will start again at some point. Whether it's 2020-21 or 2021-22 or whenever. The forward prospects currently down here will not become Canucks if they don't get game somewhere and it's not going to be in Vancouver even if the NHL allows for a larger roster because they are not going to get enough game time to make it happen. They most likely won't even get practice time with the regulars because the practices will probably get broken up into 2 groups, the regulars and then the rest. We also know practice is not sufficient to learn the pro game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad