Should we explore trading Mantha for a young promising defenseman?

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
A trade like Mantha-Fabbro probably can't happen until the offseason because Fabbro is a college kid. Could you imagine giving up Mantha for a kid who can't even play until next year? I guess we'd clinch #31 pretty early, lol

To answer the initial question; yes, all day long. If you can get decent defense for a winger then pull the trigger. Re: Fabbro, I'd make that trade. But! I believe Fabbro is eligible for free agency this summer ala Justin Schultz and Kevin Hayes. I would need a contract signed in blood.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
To answer the initial question; yes, all day long. If you can get decent defense for a winger then pull the trigger. Re: Fabbro, I'd make that trade. But! I believe Fabbro is eligible for free agency this summer ala Justin Schultz and Kevin Hayes. I would need a contract signed in blood.

Fabbro is just a junior this year, he has another year of college left (if he wants it).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The 'problem' with Winnipeg is they don't need wingers, they're STACKED on the wing. They could use a center or another defenseman for Trouba, which we don't have to offer.
That’s a good point... Kyle Connor is a beast.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree with others that if a trade is to be made it would be best to wait for Mantha to boost his value.

But it seems to me like people on here are very rarely keen on “selling high” on a young player, and I think with either AA or Mantha we would probably need to do just that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would listen, but I don't think the return out there exists for me to actually be excited about this deal.

Mantha hasn't had a great start, still isn't a bottom five guy for me on the team in terms of his start, we have been that bad for the most part.

But yeah in theory we could trade him I am not against it, I just have a hard time seeing how it happens.

Reactions: Ezekial

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think it really just comes down to who you can get. If ~Mantha can get you ~Darnell Nurse, then sure you do it. But I don't think we'll get an offer like that. If we can't return a player of a similar caliber to Mantha though, I'd prefer to keep him.

I guess I'd also consider something creative like Fabbro + 1st for Mantha, but a move like that would be risky.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Someone has to get your forwards the puck so they can score. Transitioning out of our end has been an issue for a long time. We are heading in a better direction there but could use another guy that excels in that area IMO.
If we had Karlsson this forward group would still suck.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree with others that if a trade is to be made it would be best to wait for Mantha to boost his value.

But it seems to me like people on here are very rarely keen on “selling high” on a young player, and I think with either AA or Mantha we would probably need to do just that.

Sadly I think you're too late. AA's problems are well known in the scouting circles from what I can gather. Mantha has more value, but I don't think it is the kind of value you give up on a big goal scorer with lots of potential for. But we should absolutely listen on everyone, even Larkin though I doubt anything realistic is offered in terms of our value on him. We still should be taking and making calls seeing who is interested in our guys... You know kicking tires and such, people love that...

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I’ve always liked Mantha.... but would it make sense to move him for help on defense?

He clearly has a lot of talent and should be enticing as a trade piece. Personally I think it’s possible he is a guy who always has those stretches where he looks like an elite player, but I’m not sure he will ever do it with consistency.

If we remove him our future top 6 doesn’t look as good on the wing, but it could be worth it to add a quality young defenseman or promising prospect on the back end.

Personally I think you win more being strong down the middle and on the back end than anything else. Plus we are pretty good at drafting wingers for the most part.

Just wondering what everyone thinks — I am happy to keep him if nothing makes sense.

Absolutely.

However i personally don't think Mantha will ever have enough value for such a trade to potentially happen.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think Mantha is just going to be one of those scoring wingers who comes out slow and is streaky. Fans are always very impatient with threats like that.

Dead Thing

Jun 24, 2018
Firmly believe that Mantha can be a 35 + goal scorer which would make him somewhat of a rarity in the league. How rare????
In 2013/14-8
2014/15-9
2015/16-8
2016/17-9
2017/18-16

I realize that wingers are ranked behind centers and blueliners on the depth chart, but natural scorers are hard to come by. He's a keeper.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Fabbro is just a junior this year, he has another year of college left (if he wants it).

Right-o. I was thinking players could hit free agency after 3 years instead of 4. Schulz weaseled out of his draft obligation after his junior year, but was a 4th year draftee at that point.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I would. On a team this bad there shouldn’t be anybody that is off limits. The problem is that young promising defensemen rarely move, and when they do it is for someone that is a lot more established than Mantha (Johansen, Hall, Duchene).

I think theres a difference between trading for a promising young guy and trading for guys who look like future number 1 dmen which is what Larsson and Jones were valued at. Girard for Duchene isnt what that deal was either, there was a lot of moving pieces in that deal.

I think a straight up deal for a guy like Girard is what you could expect for Mantha with maybe some pieces added on either side. Not a future number one type of guy but a top 4 type who can probalby play on your pp

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I’ve always liked Mantha.... but would it make sense to move him for help on defense?

He clearly has a lot of talent and should be enticing as a trade piece. Personally I think it’s possible he is a guy who always has those stretches where he looks like an elite player, but I’m not sure he will ever do it with consistency.

If we remove him our future top 6 doesn’t look as good on the wing, but it could be worth it to add a quality young defenseman or promising prospect on the back end.

Personally I think you win more being strong down the middle and on the back end than anything else. Plus we are pretty good at drafting wingers for the most part.

Just wondering what everyone thinks — I am happy to keep him if nothing makes sense.
I was pushing to trade him for Myers. So yeah, get it done. Perhaps Rasmussen can become the big goal scoring winger we hoped Mantha would become.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I'm just worried about if we trade away one of our few top 6 capable forwards, this may turn into an Ottawa/Montreal franchise where there's no hope in the core player (which we don't really have in the first place).

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Yes. I absolutely explore that. I'm not sure I pull the trigger on it but you have to look at every avenue to make the team better for the future. If trading Mantha for a young d-man (I'd prefer an established young one because it remains to be seen if we can develop prospect d-men) makes sense then you have to do it.

Reactions: jkutswings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm just worried about if we trade away one of our few top 6 capable forwards, this may turn into an Ottawa/Montreal franchise where there's no hope in the core player (which we don't really have in the first place).

I think we can trade 1 winger away...

Off from team at next summer
- Nyquist
- vanek
- Frk
-Witkowski

In at next summer:
- Zadina
- Veleno
- 2019 TOP4 overall selection center
- Svechnikov
- Berggren

Tuzzi - Larkin - Zadina
Rasmus - Veleno - AA
Berggren - 2019 1st - Svechnikov
Helm - Nielsen - Abdelkader
(Glendening, Ehn)

No Mantha on the roster.

Berggren could go to AHL and Givani Smith be the option at lower lines. So we have the guys let forward go and add a D.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I think we can trade 1 winger away...

Off from team at next summer
- Nyquist
- vanek
- Frk
-Witkowski

In at next summer:
- Zadina
- Veleno
- 2019 TOP4 overall selection center
- Svechnikov
- Berggren

Tuzzi - Larkin - Zadina
Rasmus - Veleno - AA
Berggren - 2019 1st - Svechnikov
Helm - Nielsen - Abdelkader
(Glendening, Ehn)

No Mantha on the roster.

Berggren could go to AHL and Givani Smith be the option at lower lines. So we have the guys let forward go and add a D.

That's optimistic. I want to move towards the younger kids but we NEED vetran leadership on the team now more than ever. Hank of course provided points but he helped keep the room calm. Look at how Mantha seems to already be calling it a season. We need to protect the young 'uns to make sure they don't get pissed.

Reactions: SoupNazi

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Yes a team that cant score trade our best scorer from last year for a defenseman. Lol.

You wish they were Evander Kane.Kane is a good player theres a reason the sharks traded for him and gave him a huge contract

The MAIN problem with Detroit is we can't score. Not our defense that's the second biggest problem
"Defenseman" doesn't just mean "defense". I strongly believe one of the biggest reasons we haven't been able to score is because we've been playing offense 3v5 for a while now. Even if our forwards are good, what do you expect them to do while they're not on breakaways? Give it to Ericsson or Daley so they can slap dump it in to nobody in particular?

It's really really hard to score if nobody on the backend is competent to get you the puck in a scoring position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad