Line Combos: Should we break up our 1st line?

Should we break our 1st line?

• Total voters

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
I just want to know what ppl think.
What are your ideal combos now?

I'm not overly concerned yet, but having all of our 4 lines working is what we need moving forward.
With that said, I can't even answer this ATM, lol. maybe that's why I'm asking.

You can always change your opinion.

Also, please let me hear your better answer options if you got any so that I can edit.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Picked "wait and see" but thought it was "wait and bleed" (Slipknot).

Meh, I think they're okay. NJ is taking them out most of the time but they get results on the PP and open up space for our 2nd and 3rd line. That said, I'm not against the occasional shift of Kucherov on Point's line with one of Miller/Killer/Palat on left wing and Stamkos on a line with Johnson/Gourde on right wing with one of Miller/Killer/Palat on left wing mixed in from time to time into our regular rotation. So yes to temporary in-game breakup of the lines. Flexibility. Mess with Hynes’ line matching plan especially on their ice with them having last change.

It was a close 2-2 hockey game that could've gone either way. I don't think yet that our 1st line ES performance is the problem.

Although it's an issue that we don't seem to be able to prevent Hall and his line from scoring with one of the deepest D corps in the league (Heds, Strals, McD, G).

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Picked "wait and see" but thought it was "wait and bleed" (Slipknot).

Meh, I think they're okay. NJ is taking them out most of the time but they get results on the PP and open up space for our 2nd and 3rd line. That said, I'm not against the occasional shift of Kucherov on Point's line with one of Miller/Killer/Palat on left wing and Stamkos on a line with Johnson/Gourde on right wing with one of Miller/Killer/Palat on left wing mixed in from time to time into our regular rotation. So yes to temporary in-game breakup of the lines. Flexibility. Mess with Hynes’ line matching plan especially on their ice with them having last change.

It was a close 2-2 hockey game that could've gone either way. I don't think yet that our 1st line ES performance is the problem.

Although it's an issue that we don't seem to be able to prevent Hall and his line from scoring with one of the deepest D corps in the league (Heds, Strals, McD, G).
If G is your 4 you don’t have a deep defense. Luckily he isn’t we have Serg.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
For shutting down purposes G is >>>> Serg atm.
Disagree

G is nothing special defensively outside of blocking shots. He’s too slow to be an effective rush defender. While as of late Serg has been a very effective defender on the rush and decent when in the zone.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Split up Kucherov and Stamkos on the power play. Their cross ice fetish only convinces them they can do whatever they want whenever. Luckily it's a small problem when our special teams have been doing well. End the fetish before we start to slump and it costs us entire power play sequences

Reactions: Master P

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Disagree

G is nothing special defensively outside of blocking shots. He’s too slow to be an effective rush defender. While as of late Serg has been a very effective defender on the rush and decent when in the zone.

Says the guy who thought Dotchin was a top pair defender and potential #1.

Stamkos should be dropped to the 3rd line at ES, play him on the top PP still.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Johnson - Gourde
Miller - Cirelli - Stamkos

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Says the guy who thought Dotchin was a top pair defender and potential #1.

Stamkos should be dropped to the 3rd line at ES, play him on the top PP still.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Johnson - Gourde
Miller - Cirelli - Stamkos
Let’s not do that. Palat Point Johnson has been great don’t split it up.

If we make any changes it should be simply swapping Miller and Killorn.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Split up Kucherov and Stamkos on the power play. Their cross ice fetish only convinces them they can do whatever they want whenever. Luckily it's a small problem when our special teams have been doing well. End the fetish before we start to slump and it costs us entire power play sequences
TBF Kuch's x-ice passes have let to a couple goals this series already (Killer's goals, Stammer's goal etc.).

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Let’s not do that. Palat Point Johnson has been great don’t split it up.

If we make any changes it should be simply swapping Miller and Killorn.

Why? Stamkos has 1 point at ES and that was an assist on Kucherovs empty netter. The guy has no offensive game, he should be playing a checking role with Miller and Cirelli who have no offensive abilities either in the playoffs.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Why? Stamkos has 1 point at ES and that was an assist on Kucherovs empty netter. The guy has no offensive game, he should be playing a checking role with Miller and Cirelli who have no offensive abilities either in the playoffs.
Oh the problem I have isn’t moving down Stamkos. The problem is splitting up Palat Point Johnson.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Oh the problem I have isn’t moving down Stamkos. The problem is splitting up Palat Point Johnson.

If you watched the game last night you would've saw that they were mixing lines up already. We were creating a ton of offense and controlling NJ but then Stamkos would come out, the offensive pressure stopped and they got loads of scoring chances. If you put Kucherov with Point it isn't going to hurt us and Johnson can help get others going. We just need to get our 6 best forwards together and Stamkos isn't one of them.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If you watched the game last night you would've saw that they were mixing lines up already. We were creating a ton of offense and controlling NJ but then Stamkos would come out, the offensive pressure stopped and they got loads of scoring chances. If you put Kucherov with Point it isn't going to hurt us and Johnson can help get others going. We just need to get our 6 best forwards together and Stamkos isn't one of them.
DEE95692-8D3F-436C-BA14-C8272988ABB6.jpeg

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Last night Cooper changed the lines: he put Johnson with Miller and Stamkos, in the second period (if I remember well...).
But I think that the line Johnson-Point -Palat has not to be changed.
If Tampa wants to bring the Cup, Kucherov, Stamkos and Miller has to improve their performance.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
On the PP, Kuch seems to be using Stamkos as a decoy, and then feeds Killorn as often as not.

At ES, my only real reservation about splitting them up is the other lines all look pretty dangerous, and I wouldn't want to break one of those up. This series is basically Taylor Hall vs. the TB Lightning. Our best chance to win is on depth.

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
The disappointing thing about our top line is that it isn't generating offense and scoring at ES. I know that the other team is trying to shut them down but so are all the other teams in the playoffs and Boston's and Toronto's top lines are putting up big numbers. Cooper and Stamkos and Kucherov need to get this figured out quickly to help make it easier to beat teams than what has been going on. That line of Stamkos, Kucherov and Miller make way too many behind the back passes to nobody, negating any offensive push into the zone. The other lines have picked up the slack but these guys need to help more. Kucherov doesn't worry me as much as Stamkos and Miller.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think they just need to be selfish. Stop always looking for that cross ice pass. Stop trying to hit the tic tac toe.

Just shoot. Two of the best shooters in the league and they fall all over themselves to defer to someone else. It's infuriating.

If I'm Cooper, I make it clear that anyone passing on an open look to make another pass is going to ride the 4th line for a few shifts.

I get that the playoffs aren't really the place to prove a point, but can you imagine this team if they would shoot even like 50% of that they choose to cross ice?

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
I think they just need to be selfish. Stop always looking for that cross ice pass. Stop trying to hit the tic tac toe.

Just shoot. Two of the best shooters in the league and they fall all over themselves to defer to someone else. It's infuriating.

If I'm Cooper, I make it clear that anyone passing on an open look to make another pass is going to ride the 4th line for a few shifts.

I get that the playoffs aren't really the place to prove a point, but can you imagine this team if they would shoot even like 50% of that they choose to cross ice?
I agree 100% with your comments. This team has passed up many great scoring chances by not shooting the puck in great spots on the ice and trying to make the perfect pass that isn't there. I don't remember if it was the beginning of this season or last that they seemed to be shooting the puck from everywhere and had good results. I will say it again and again, you will score more goals from rebounds and being in front of the net blocking goalies vision than looking for the perfect passing play that usually doesn't happen.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The disappointing thing about our top line is that it isn't generating offense and scoring at ES. I know that the other team is trying to shut them down but so are all the other teams in the playoffs and Boston's and Toronto's top lines are putting up big numbers. Cooper and Stamkos and Kucherov need to get this figured out quickly to help make it easier to beat teams than what has been going on. That line of Stamkos, Kucherov and Miller make way too many behind the back passes to nobody, negating any offensive push into the zone. The other lines have picked up the slack but these guys need to help more. Kucherov doesn't worry me as much as Stamkos and Miller.

huh?

Hyman - 0-1-1
Matthews - 1-0-1
Nylander - 0-1-1

A whooping 3 points combined is big?

You do know Kuch has 6 points in 3 games? Stamkos 4? That line has 11 points in 3 games which is topped by what? 2 other lines in the league right now 1 of them being on our team as well.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
huh?

Hyman - 0-1-1
Matthews - 1-0-1
Nylander - 0-1-1

A whooping 3 points combined is big?

You do know Kuch has 6 points in 3 games? Stamkos 4? That line has 11 points in 3 games which is topped by what? 2 other lines in the league right now 1 of them being on our team as well.

Aren't most of those points coming on the PP though?

The line has been underwhelming, but the other three have created a lot of chances. Maybe swap Miller with someone like Yanni Gourde, who can provide some no-nonsense hustle.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Aren't most of those points coming on the PP though?

The line has been underwhelming, but the other three have created a lot of chances. Maybe swap Miller with someone like Yanni Gourde, who can provide some no-nonsense hustle.

They had lots of points on the PP in the regular season too, not sure why you're expecting something different? This line kills it on the PP and in inconsistent at ES, but it's still a top line, with all the other lines doing great we can afford to wait for them to get hot. Why fidget with 3 other lines to fix something that's not even broken. They weren't the issue last game, bleeding goals against Hall was, start with fixing an actual issue.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
The more I read everyone's post, the less I'm convinced of my possible choice lol. Hopefully this means all of the option can work at the different levels, one way or another...
Last night Cooper changed the lines: he put Johnson with Miller and Stamkos, in the second period (if I remember well...).
But I think that the line Johnson-Point -Palat has not to be changed.
If Tampa wants to bring the Cup, Kucherov, Stamkos and Miller has to improve their performance.

If the coach can make a good in-game adjustment if neeeded then that'd be all good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->