Should we be reading more into how Sidney Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

Oct 22, 2006
Was said to be “the next one†and all that jazz yet not only has he done very little for the sport but he wasn’t even enough of a draw to save the Pittsburgh penguins from being relocated.

It’s a pretty telling and a huge disappointment that everyone wants to conveniently shove under the rug and forget about

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
the kid has been in the league for just over a hundred games and you can pass that much judgement on him already? give him a couple of years especially when that penguin team will have experience and definitely be going places then make the arguement.. to say hes done nothing is absurd

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
A) If we're expecting a player to save the league lets give him more then a season and half first

B) With national games only on versus (I'm not counting Canada, I'm fairly certain the game is ok up there) It's hard for him to reach the desired audience since a large percentage of people either A) don't get versus or B) Aren't aware they get versus

Kreed

Oct 22, 2006
the kid has been in the league for just over a hundred games and you can pass that much judgement on him already? give him a couple of years especially when that penguin team will have experience and definitely be going places then make the arguement.. to say hes done nothing is absurd
The fact still remains he hasn't been enough to save that franchise from being in the dire situation it faces today

agreed

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The NHL has made a mistake by taking an all your eggs in one basket approach when it comes to the way they have marketed Crosby way more than anyone else. They should be taking a lesson from the NBA. Sure, Lebron gets called "the next one", "next Jordan", and so on, but that doesn't keep them from marketing many of their other stars equally (Kobe, Wade, Dirk, Melo, Yao, Shaq, etc.), and perhaps even more importantly marketing rivalries between the stars and the big matchups as "star player X vs. star player Y". Sure, the NHL will make a big deal about "Crosby vs. Ovechkin" but they should be doing this for things like "Lecavalier vs. Staal", "Hossa and Kovalchuk vs. Spezza and Heatley", "Thornton and Marleau vs. Pronger and Neidermayer", etc. etc. etc. Market the big games between teams with star players around those players.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Was said to be “the next one†and all that jazz yet not only has he done very little for the sport but he wasn’t even enough of a draw to save the Pittsburgh penguins from being relocated.

It’s a pretty telling and a huge disappointment that everyone wants to conveniently shove under the rug and forget about

Calm down.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
B) With national games only on versus (I'm not counting Canada, I'm fairly certain the game is ok up there) It's hard for him to reach the desired audience since a large percentage of people either A) don't get versus or B) Aren't aware they get versus

This is such a weak excuse. First of all, Versus is available to a large (and growing) percentage of the cable market. It doesn't have as high a penetration as some channels but the difference isn't outrageous. Second, how stupid do people have to be to not look at what channels are available to them if they want to watch some programming? It doesn't take much to scroll through the info guide (if you have digital like you should), or even just look at the TV guide or TV guide channel (if you live in the dark ages and still don't have digital).

Kreed

Oct 22, 2006
What would you want Crosby to do, build the Arena himself?
I don't get why u feel the need to make sarcastic remarks. Everyone around here is already calling him the best player in the league bar none.

With those kind of credentials surely he should be putting butts in seats SHOULDN'T HE?

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005

Seriously. If the Pens leave Pitsburgh, it is not because of their fans, it would be due to the lack of a new arena. People have been packing the arena lately to see Crosby. Look at the attendance the year prior to him, and look at it this year. He has brought a lot of fans back to see a very bad team.

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005
With those kind of credentials surely he should be putting butts in seats SHOULDN'T HE?

Yeah, you mean like how 8 of the last 10 home games have been standing room only sellouts and there will be another one tonight. Don't let facts get in the way of your rant though.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
youngest player ever to score 100 pts in a season, and might be the youngest player ever to win the art ross this season. i don't know what else you expected from him.

GSC2k2*

I don't get why u feel the need to make sarcastic remarks. Everyone around here is already calling him the best player in the league bar none.

People are responding sarcastically to your post because, to be honest, it is so dough-headed. Attendance is not Pittsburgh's problem. You could determine that by a quick trip to espn.com instead of blurting out an inane post that is probably the first thing that popped into your head. This board is active enough without a need to set up straw men for people to discuss. It's almost like you were trolling.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

Maybe you should do a little research next time.
caveman_1.jpg

Kreed

Oct 22, 2006
People are responding sarcastically to your post because, to be honest, it is so dough-headed. Attendance is not Pittsburgh's problem. You could determine that by a quick trip to espn.com instead of blurting out an inane post that is probably the first thing that popped into your head. This board is active enough without a need to set up straw men for people to discuss. It's almost like you were trolling.
I kind of hate how when someones views differs from the masses it is seen has trolling.

So attendance is not the problem okay but something surely ain't adding up (financially) over there in pittsburgh for them to want to move

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
That is probably the only post of yours I've ever agreed with.

Unless Crosby is calling the shots in local politics (which is probably a little beyond a 19 year old) or wants to finance an arena himself, the problems there don't have anything to do with him. Nothing's being swept under the carpet.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
I gotta be honest, Crosby MIGHT be the best the NHL has right now. Doesn't mean he himself can save the Pens.

Mario couldn't get the Pens an arena when he came back, so why should Crosby be saddled with that duty?

Kreed

Oct 22, 2006
I gotta be honest, Crosby MIGHT be the best the NHL has right now. Doesn't mean he himself can save the Pens.

Mario couldn't get the Pens an arena when he came back, so why should Crosby be saddled with that duty?
You keep mentioning Mario like he was the stellar super Mario we all knew.
He was a shadow of his former self, yeah sure he was still servicable when he was on the ice but could he ever stay healthy for more than 5 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad