Proposal: Should we be insulted? Oddsmakers still have no love for the Jets.

jpell007

Jan 16, 2015
While I understand odds are influenced by the amount of money placed on either side of a bet... Futures Bets, specifically NHL Cup odds, feature only one outcome. That is, you cannot bet on the Oilers to not win the Cup. But you can, of course, bet on them to win.

By doing so as of this post, you'd get the best odds (but smallest payout) vs. any other team from most betting sites at +650 or so. Many picked them to win from the beginning so it does make sense that oddsmakers would have them at or near the top in order to sway people on to other teams.

Jets range from +1200 to +1500 on major betting sites.

Even more shocking, the Canucks are +1800 at FanDuel but improve to +900 at Bet365.

Overview of current odds here:

I'm genuinely perplexed by this. Obviously I'm biased as a fan, but the Jets:
- top 5 team at 5v5
- top 2 in GA
- have Hellebuyck
- improved at the deadline
- are 2 pts back of the division lead with 3 games in hand

Is it really possible the Jets just don't have enough action on them to drive up their odds?

In a way I love that they are still flying under the radar but I figured by this point they would at least be in the top 7. Definitely putting my money where my mouth is.... On that note, can anyone borrow me $100?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I don’t give a damn about what odd makers say about the team

And no, you mooche ……:laugh:
Yeah, completely agree with you. I never gamble, cept for letting the wife drive. I'm fed up with the gambling craze and the annoying ads, not to mention what it's doing to some of the weak-minded or addicted members of society. I could care less what gambling odds say about our team.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Say what you will about the gambling presence in sports, but even one single interstitial update on the current line (“the Jets are now 2:1 favourites to win the game”) is infinitely more informative than a whole game’s worth of narrative-based jock musings that fail even the most basic of mathematical tests (“This gives both teams the advantage! The pendulum has swung 360 degrees! Momentum! Faceoffs are crítical! You don’t want to challenge that goal unless you’re 100% sure!”)

As for the question, no, we shouldn’t be insulted, because the odds on futures reflect in part what popular tastes are saying (I.e. bettors may not like our chances as much, and they influence the price on futures). And I think it’s fair to say we’re not the best team going in; but we’re in the elite group that are good enough that, if we did win, people wouldn’t be confused.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Oddsmakers set the line. When money moves heavy to popular teams the odds change Gamblers are stupid people. They put money and root for their own team. Im guilty of doing that. Not surprised the big market teams that have money have better odds
They are going to have the fan base with money to bet on their own teams and change the odds

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yeah, completely agree with you. I never gamble, cept for letting the wife drive. I'm fed up with the gambling craze and the annoying ads, not to mention what it's doing to some of the weak-minded or addicted members of society. I could care less what gambling odds say about our team.
Now, that's funny!

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Now, that's funny!
Yeah, until she sees it.

But the truth is she gets focussed on arguments and presentations and sorta forgets she's driving, been that way for years. Can be kinda scary but at least she's never had any accidents. Weird part is whenever we're back home in Britain she has always been the driver and she's great at it.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I care only in so far as I like flying a little under the radar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad