Should Vegas blowing a 3-0 lead in the 3rd period of Game 7 last year get more attention?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know that in last years Game 7 between Vegas and San Jose that 5:00 major penalty Vegas got was a horrible call and it should have been no more than a 2:00 minor. However ignored in all of that is how Vegas still blew a 3-0 lead in the 3rd period and it was the second time that's happened. The first time was when Toronto blew that 4-1 lead to Boston in the 3rd period of their 2013 Eastern Conference Quarter Final series. So besides the 5:00 major shouldn't it not be ignored that Vegas still blew a 3-0 3rd period lead just like Toronto did in 2013? Also one difference is Vegas also blew a 3-1 series lead and lost Game 6 in double overtime on a short handed goal to setup Game 7.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The amount of attention/remembering/impact to something like that would be quite fanbase driven, like Gretzky high stick in 1993 or Alain Côté goal being popular cultural event.

A lot of people will put it in the face to a lot of Toronto fans, I imagine being a new team Vegas has few rivalry.

Reactions: scott clam

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The amount of attention/remembering/impact to something like that would be quite fanbase driven, like Gretzky high stick in 1993 or Alain Côté goal being popular cultural event.

A lot of people will put it in the face to a lot of Toronto fans, I imagine being a new team Vegas has few rivalry.
I'm just talking about fans in general from a history prospective seeing that Vegas is now the second team in NHL history to blow a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period of a Game 7 and went onto to loss that series in overtime. The fact it was their second year in the NHL shouldn't make a difference.

Last edited:

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I'm just talking about fans in general from a history prospective seeing that Vegas is now the second team in NHL history to blow a 4-1 lead in the 3rd period of a Game 7 and went onto to loss that series in overtime. The fact it was their second year in the NHL shouldn't make a difference.
I think the call controversy took a lot of attention away from the fact that they lost a 4-1 lead. A lot of people directed the blame at the bad call rather than the team itself.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think the call controversy took a lot of attention away from the fact that they lost a 4-1 lead. A lot of people directed the blame at the bad call rather than the team itself.
Even the fact that Vegas blew a 3-1 series lead losing Games 5 & 6, plus the fact they lost Game 6 in double overtime on a short handed goal against.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Their PK looked like chickens with their heads cut off. So they do deserve some blame. However, as others pointed out, the call itself was controversial. Should not have been a 5 minute major. Just looked bad all around for the league.

Five minute majors should get an automatic replay review due to that game.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Yeah, the call was the overarching memory of that loss in my mind. You're trying to sell this angle more than is warranted.

Reactions: Sentinel

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Should it get more attention? No.

I said it at the time and I still say it now, that was a crosscheck resulting in an injury. That call had to be made.
Malicious? No.
Unfortunate? Yes.

Either way the Vegas PK cannot give up 4 goals. That's on them. They blew it.

Reactions: BreadmanGetsPaid

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I'm just talking about fans in general from a history prospective seeing that Vegas is now the second team in NHL history to blow a 4-1 lead in the 3rd period of a Game 7 and went onto to loss that series in overtime. The fact it was their second year in the NHL shouldn't make a difference.

Well it is pro-entertainment hockey with athlete paid a fortune regardless if they win or loose, basically nothing that occur in it has any importance (or certainly nothing should have one), all of the importance is purely the result made by the emotional investment by the fanbase watching.

Making it that what occur to a team without a fanbase and anti-fan a bit of the sound made by a tree in an forest without any hear to turn it into noise.

Or maybe I am missing what would be the goal of anyone giving attention to that past event ? In the sense to put pressure on the league to change who/how penalty calls are made in the playoff ?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well it is pro-entertainment hockey with athlete paid a fortune regardless if they win or loose, basically nothing that occur in it has any importance (or certainly nothing should have one), all of the importance is purely the result made by the emotional investment by the fanbase watching.

Making it that what occur to a team without a fanbase and anti-fan a bit of the sound made by a tree in an forest without any hear to turn it into noise.

Or maybe I am missing what would be the goal of anyone giving attention to that past event ? In the sense to put pressure on the league to change who/how penalty calls are made in the playoff ?
I just think since Vegas was the second team in NHL history to blow a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period of a Game 7 that should get more attention, despite the blown call on the 5:00 major. When Toronto was the first team to do that in 2013 it was talked about a lot.

Last edited:

Super Fadio Bro

MAMA MIA!!!
Jan 12, 2009
Somewhere
You mean a 3 goals lead; they were leading 3-0 when the call happened.

Yes it should have been 2 min but even after that atrocious PK, they forced overtime with a minute left.

But I don’t think it should get more attention.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You mean a 3 goals lead; they were leading 3-0 when the call happened.

Yes it should have been 2 min but even after that atrocious PK, they forced overtime with a minute left.

But I don’t think it should get more attention.
My mistake for saying the wrong score and I have edited the title and previous replies.

However it was still a 3 goal lead they blew like the Leafs did, since it was 3-0 and Toronto's was a 4-1 lead.

Reactions: Le Champion

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think it's the fact that Toronto blew a 4-2 lead with less than two minutes left that really provides the shock value. Vegas actually scored in the final minute to force OT. They collapsed, but then rallied in a sense, even if they eventually lost.

Not sure if anyone remembers in all the commotion, but somebody (Rich Peverley I want to say) missed a glorious scoring chance for Boston with a few seconds left in regulation. The Leafs unbelievably almost didn't even make it to OT in that game.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think it's the fact that Toronto blew a 4-2 lead with less than two minutes left that really provides the shock value. Vegas actually scored in the final minute to force OT. They collapsed, but then rallied in a sense, even if they eventually lost.

Not sure if anyone remembers in all the commotion, but somebody (Rich Peverley I want to say) missed a glorious scoring chance for Boston with a few seconds left in regulation. The Leafs unbelievably almost didn't even make it to OT in that game.
In that same game when it was 4-2 Toronto late in the 3rd period, I remember Matt Frattin had a clear breakaway and shot the puck over the net. If he scores on that play than Boston doesn't come back to tie it and win in overtime.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Whatever miserable fortune happens to Toronto (which is pretty much everything that has happened to them since 1967) will be blown out of all proportion by the hockey media in Ontario. They're still debating Mitch Marner's stupid contract six months later, when clearly the best thing for the team's performance on the ice would be if the fans/media would just let these things go.

But, since Gilmour's skating into Gretzky's slapshot in '93 is still a daily topic in the Ontario Legislature, I doubt they're going to let anything go easily....

And yes, the Vegas game-seven choke was a big thing, but I think it's not as bad as it looks in soundbites when you go back and see the parade of (somewhat questionable) penalty-calls that led to it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Whatever miserable fortune happens to Toronto (which is pretty much everything that has happened to them since 1967) will be blown out of all proportion by the hockey media in Ontario. They're still debating Mitch Marner's stupid contract six months later, when clearly the best thing for the team's performance on the ice would be if the fans/media would just let these things go.

But, since Gilmour's skating into Gretzky's slapshot in '93 is still a daily topic in the Ontario Legislature, I doubt they're going to let anything go easily....

And yes, the Vegas game-seven choke was a big thing, but I think it's not as bad as it looks in soundbites when you go back and see the parade of (somewhat questionable) penalty-calls that led to it.
Isn't the Vegas choke a little worse than the Leafs in 2013 since they also blew a 3-1 series lead and lost Game 6 in double overtime on a short handed goal, which forced the Game 7.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Isn't the Vegas choke a little worse than the Leafs in 2013 since they also blew a 3-1 series lead and lost Game 6 in double overtime on a short handed goal, which forced the Game 7.

3-1 series leads get blown all the time. It's the uniqueness of the Toronto situation that causes everyone to remember it as such a notable event.

I mean, I could be wrong, but if the Leafs lose their 3-goal lead under somewhat normal circumstances, I doubt it's much more than a footnote and people just remember it as an extremely strong Boston team surging back against a game but over-matched Toronto team that sunk back into the abyss shortly after. Similar to how Pittsburgh not closing out the Islanders in 1982 isn't really considered a choke.

Boston scoring TWICE with the goaltender pulled is what ensured that game would go down in all-time infamy. And ironically, the Bruins being on the wrong end of another ridiculous and improbable ending a few weeks later against Chicago is the one thing nobody will ever forget from the 2013 Finals.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
3-1 series leads get blown all the time. It's the uniqueness of the Toronto situation that causes everyone to remember it as such a notable event.

I mean, I could be wrong, but if the Leafs lose their 3-goal lead under somewhat normal circumstances, I doubt it's much more than a footnote and people just remember it as an extremely strong Boston team surging back against a game but over-matched Toronto team that sunk back into the abyss shortly after. Similar to how Pittsburgh not closing out the Islanders in 1982 isn't really considered a choke.

Boston scoring TWICE with the goaltender pulled is what ensured that game would go down in all-time infamy. And ironically, the Bruins being on the wrong end of another ridiculous and improbable ending a few weeks later against Chicago is the one thing nobody will ever forget from the 2013 Finals.
I bring up Vegas blowing a 3-1 series lead since they lost Game 6 in double overtime on a short handed goal against, when you think they wouldn't get scored on in that situation. So I see that and blowing a 3-0 3rd period lead in Game 7 as the cherry on top of a bad choke, however because of that blown 5:00 major it gets overlooked when it should not.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto has been in the league for years and they are one of the biggest hockey markets in todays NHL.

Vegas is a new franchise and were just in their 2nd season.

I think their is a difference between the two.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think as time goes on it might. It just happened a year ago. I know everyone will point to the fact Vegas blew a 3-1 series lead and then that 3-0 lead in the 3rd period, and they deserve some of the blame of course, but that game just made me sick to my stomach. I am a neutral fan as well. I have no dog in this fight, but when I was watching that game and seeing the 3-0 lead I figured especially with Fleury in net the Knights should be just fine coasting the rest of the way.

Then that really bad call happened and I just got this feeling in the gut of my stomach like "Oh no.................come one Vegas, just kill it off so that we don't have to deal with this in the NHL." You hate to see your game have that sort of black mark on it. The strange thing is the Sharks scored 4 goals on that power play and Vegas actually tied the game with under a minute left. Overtime was flooded with chances at both ends and I was just hoping that for the good of the game that Vegas scores so no one remembers that. Because no one likes asterisks in their game. I am not saying that call made things as irrelevant as the 2017 Houston Astros (whom I actually enjoyed watching that year) but let's face it, if that is your fanbase that has that call go against them are you happy? This wasn't even a non-call. Non-calls can get brought up, but they aren't the cause of a 4 goal momentum swing either.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It got overshadowed big time by the bad penalty call last year. Which to me - was absolutely ridiculous.

Bad penalties happen all the time. The loss is 100% Vegas's fault - you don't blow a 3 goal lead, PK or not.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It got overshadowed big time by the bad penalty call last year. Which to me - was absolutely ridiculous.

Bad penalties happen all the time. The loss is 100% Vegas's fault - you don't blow a 3 goal lead, PK or not.

Normally I agree with you. Heck, I am a Leaf fan and I don't use 1993's non-call on Gretzky as an excuse. We still had opportunity to win in Game 7. However...........if there was one time in hockey history that a ref's bad call changed the fortunes of a game it is this one. I have never seen a bad call do this worse in NHL history than this one. It was horrendous. The reason being, this is the 3rd period of a Game 7 and your team is up 3-0. That call just reversed the fortunes immediately of two teams. There was no Game 8 to make it up. And this wasn't even just a one-goal game either. One goal games you can probably point to different things throughout the game where you can say "Well, maybe that team shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with." Not with this case. The Knights were up 3-0, they had done everything right that game, it was a perfect scenario.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
f*** this narrative that it was a bad call. Two Vegas players assaulted Pavelski, one of San Jose's top players, who didn't have the puck. Got his head smashed into the ice, blood all over, left the game, missed the whole next series with a concussion and people still cry about it like it was some phantom call and Pavelski dove. A major seems entirely justifiable.

Then all Vegas had to do still was kill it, plenty of teams kill majors, going by normal PP percentages it's around 50% chance to score on one, so fine maybe the Sharks get one, but it's pretty rare to see two goals against, let alone THREE. I can't even remember seeing that before. So maybe the Knights shouldn't make excuses and cry about the refs when the original call was legit enough and it was their complete PK failure in that instance plus blowing a 3-1 series lead that cost them the chance to advance. This whining about the refs is so pathetic, can't stand it, same with Leafs fans still crying about 1993.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Normally I agree with you. Heck, I am a Leaf fan and I don't use 1993's non-call on Gretzky as an excuse. We still had opportunity to win in Game 7. However...........if there was one time in hockey history that a ref's bad call changed the fortunes of a game it is this one. I have never seen a bad call do this worse in NHL history than this one. It was horrendous. The reason being, this is the 3rd period of a Game 7 and your team is up 3-0. That call just reversed the fortunes immediately of two teams. There was no Game 8 to make it up. And this wasn't even just a one-goal game either. One goal games you can probably point to different things throughout the game where you can say "Well, maybe that team shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with." Not with this case. The Knights were up 3-0, they had done everything right that game, it was a perfect scenario.

Yeah this is my take as well. There's bad calls that cost you a goal, there's missed calls that can have an impact...but a phantom 5 minute major in a Game 7? Unheard of. That's why Vegas tends to get a bit of a pass from people. Outside of a 5-minute span that was the creation of terrible officiating, Vegas beat San Jose 4-0. This is one of those rare times where a bad call truly 100% decided a hockey game and unfortunately it was a Game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad