OT: Should they just get rid of video review?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Interesting question I think. To me video review has been a complete failure. The point is to get calls right, now they have created more confusion than they have ever helped. Players are frustrated and so are fans. At least when a ref made a wrong call on the ice people understood that they are just human and miss stuff, but people don't have patients for when you have minutes to review and still get it wrong. Here are a couple of the main reasons I think it has been a failure.

1. The whole offside and looking at players skates on the ice. A ref in all the history of hockey never looked to see if a players foot was in contact with the ice. It may be how the rule is written down but it isn't how the real rule worked. The game is already slow enough, now you have to have players slowing down on entry to make sure their skate is on the ice? Just insane, you want to create more speed not less. Also the plays where the plays goes on for 30 seconds then they back up to find offside is just insane.

2. Clearly goalie interference. I mean how Kesler and Perry were not interference last year, but McDavid was last night? They simply have created more confusion than they have ever helped. They are getting calls just as wrong and inconsistent before, so why bother?

As a fan of the game I just find it is taking away the fun to watch. Last night you see a good goal in over time and get pumped, minutes later after a review it is called back and every one is confused (Including McDavid) as to why.

I think there are ways to improve it, but if I had to vote just yes or no to it I would vote to just take it away. I think it has been a giant failure so far.

Thoughts?

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
The Oilers lose every review no matter what. Apparently they change the rules between shifts.

I guess we should just get used to it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’ve been on this bandwagon for a few years now. I think video review has damaged most of the sports it’s used in and hasn’t improved accuracy of calls. The only sport it’s used in where it’s worked is tennis. Is the ball in or out? Pretty simple.

Like I’ve said in other threads, as long as you use it for black and white calls such as is the puck in the net or not then it can be helpful. Once you cross over to using it for judgement calls it becomes a disaster. It can allow another layer of officiating to manipulate the game. That’s where we are now. I’d love to get rid of it completely but you can’t put the genie back in the bottle. I think the league loves having the extra bit of control it now has in games.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
I like the Goalie Interference video review because it stops teams from cheating and interfering with the Goalie, but the ticky tacky minor contact shit has got to go. They have has some many weak call disallow good goal its gone too far. Before though players would always nudge and run goalies and get away with it which pissed me off.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Video reviews for goals (as in: did the puck cross the line) everything else can go into the bin.

Hell not only do I think they should get rid of video review of offsides, they should get rid of offsides.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I’ve been on this bandwagon for a few years now. I think video review has damaged most of the sports it’s used in and hasn’t improved accuracy of calls. The only sport it’s used in where it’s worked is tennis. Is the ball in or out? Pretty simple.

Like I’ve said in other threads, as long as you use it for black and white calls such as is the puck in the net or not then it can be helpful. Once you cross over to using it for judgement calls it becomes a disaster. It can allow another layer of officiating to manipulate the game. That’s where we are now. I’d love to get rid of it completely but you can’t put the genie back in the bottle. I think the league loves having the extra bit of control it now has in games.

I agree 100%. I think it has been a disaster is basically every sport.

Sadly the offside seems to be a rule like that and even it has been a disaster. Thought the easy fix is to just change the rule, players skate does not need to be in contact with ice. Any way, I agree with your point though. It should just be used to see if the puck crossed the line or not, nothing else. However, your correct they won't be able to put the gene back in the bottle.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I like the Goalie Interference video review because it stops teams from cheating and interfering with the Goalie, but the ticky tacky minor contact **** has got to go. They have has some many weak call disallow good goal its gone too far. Before though players would always nudge and run goalies and get away with it which pissed me off.

It does?

yeBs7wv.jpg

Reactions: Aerrol

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I like the Goalie Interference video review because it stops teams from cheating and interfering with the Goalie, but the ticky tacky minor contact **** has got to go. They have has some many weak call disallow good goal its gone too far. Before though players would always nudge and run goalies and get away with it which pissed me off.

The problem with this is it goes both ways. Now you have goalies bumping players to get a call. I guarantee goalies now grab players, or come out and hit players when a shot is coming. Is just as bad, just the other way.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Actually, with the way the NHL is handling their officiating on the whole, it's probably time that an independent 3rd party oversees the officiating for the League, because they've proven they can't handle the task.

The NHL is like a rich kid, and the Officials are like his money, so a 3rd party or Trustee is needed to make sure they actually stay on the straight and narrow.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Let's look at the NHL pre-video review...

I know this one isn't reviewable under the current state of affairs...

They just constantly have their heads up their "you-know whats"

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
They should not.

They should send every review to the same team so that the rulings are consistent and precise. The problem is the referees handle half the reviews themselves and the war room handles the other half which only leads to problems.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This picture doesn’t do what happened on the play any justice. It’s too bad you didn’t post a gif. This picture looks like he might just be resting his hand on Talbot’s Pad. The video shows him pulling so hard that you can see the pad separating from his knee.

Lol, seeing this again still infuriates me today.

Reactions: Aerrol

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I think the only time they should use video review is the sensors for soccer to confirm whether or not the ball crossed the line, which should be pretty automatic.

Otherwise, I would do away with video review in all professional sports. A large part of the attraction of sports (unless you believe in the fix, and even then!) is the unscripted, What Is Going To Happen aspect of it. The depths of despair to the throes of ecstasy in 30 seconds of craziness on the field/rink.

Any time there is video review, it slows down the pace of the game and the entertainment level drops, and you get amazing plays overturned by the barest of margins that the human eye couldn't track in real time.

Let the athletes play, we'll debate the inevitable mistakes the refs will make until the end of time, but we'll do so knowing the human eye can make errors and we're not reliant on slow-motion replay to determine the success of an athletic endeavour.

The interference call on McDavid last night just exemplified this: the game was a great game, the pace of OT is amazing, and the game, the fans, and the sport itself deserved an ending like that....not some twerp 3500 km away in Toronto, staring at a monitor, deciding the outcome.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
ah good ol' mcgoo...i guess he's a good reminder that it can always be worse?

For video review itself, I think it should remain for reviews such as "did the puck cross the line?" it's black and white, even if you introduce factors like "puck completely over the line" or "conclusive evidence". I also think it's BS that a video call cannot overturn an on-ice call if it's not "conclusive" enough. A ref should be able to look at a replay and change his original call. May not be the place for Toronto HQ to change, but I bet a lot of refs would look at some replays and think they could have called a play better.

For goaltender interference, it really does need to be a simple black/white standard. Maybe we just have to go to a football punter's model or a roughing the passer type of rule. I don't know but if the standard is clear, then there won't be as much controversy and players will know what they can do even if they may not agree with it.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think the only time they should use video review is the sensors for soccer to confirm whether or not the ball crossed the line, which should be pretty automatic.

Otherwise, I would do away with video review in all professional sports. A large part of the attraction of sports (unless you believe in the fix, and even then!) is the unscripted, What Is Going To Happen aspect of it. The depths of despair to the throes of ecstasy in 30 seconds of craziness on the field/rink.

Any time there is video review, it slows down the pace of the game and the entertainment level drops, and you get amazing plays overturned by the barest of margins that the human eye couldn't track in real time.

Let the athletes play, we'll debate the inevitable mistakes the refs will make until the end of time, but we'll do so knowing the human eye can make errors and we're not reliant on slow-motion replay to determine the success of an athletic endeavour.

The interference call on McDavid last night just exemplified this: the game was a great game, the pace of OT is amazing, and the game, the fans, and the sport itself deserved an ending like that....not some twerp 3500 km away in Toronto, staring at a monitor, deciding the outcome.

Agree 100%. There are really 2 issues.

1. Do they even get the call right regardless. I really dont' think they do any way.

2. Even if they get the call right is it good for the game, do fans actually like it. I think this is a big NO. It slows the game down so much, just painful to watch.

Reactions: dustrock

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Let's look at the NHL pre-video review...

I know this one isn't reviewable under the current state of affairs...

They just constantly have their heads up their "you-know whats"

Funny how Mick McGeough and Tim Peel show up in so many of these controversial plays.

These replays show why they instituted a replay system. The problem is that what they have hasn’t helped them get the calls right. All it’s done is given the fans even more to argue about.

Before replay you would have missed calls that were so bad they’d be all fans could talk about for a few days. Honestly though, the really bad ones, they didn’t really happen all that often. A few times a season, maybe once a month. With the replay system we’re getting these really bad calls almost on a nightly basis now. How is that an improvement?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I mean if the broadcasts are going to show replays and fans can post re0lays on twitter/etc.
.....then I think you need to go full video. Get away from ref discretion and call things as they are.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
There's no consistency, and it's not simply due to human error, it's due to blatant one-sided calls against the Oilers. Oh and McDavid received an abuse of officials penalty for his gesture after scoring in the shootout...lmao, f*** this league.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like video review for goaltender interference. Just wish there was more consistency in how it was called.

The offside challenge needs to go.

Captain Fantastic

Cpt. Fallustina
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Definitely get rid of off side coaches challenges/video replay. Goalie interference.. Get rid of that too until the league decides what that is... they're making it up as they go along. Sometimes I think a tabletop hockey game has more structure than this league.

Reactions: Porkleaker

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The Oilers lose every review no matter what. Apparently they change the rules between shifts.

I guess we should just get used to it.

The Oilers are on the butt end of way too many of these calls - I don't know if there is pent up rage by officials etc at the draft luck the oilers have had, but something is strange. We didn't crosscheck one of their officials in the head, Calgary isn't a California meca team, so what is it.

If that goal was from an opposing team, there is no chance in hell that wouldn't stand up as a good goal.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Actually meant to post this in here...but
If this had been the criteria for a goalie interference call all along, sure, I'd take that. But considering multiple events in last years playoffs it's abundantly clear that nobody really knows what goalie interference actually is, including those reviewing it. It's like it's a case-per-case basis where it depends entirely on the mood of the refs or people reviewing the calls in Toronto (of all places) who are obviously 100% unbiased and don't have a team they cheer for....
The Perry and Kessler vs Talbot incidents should've set the precedent last year, obvious calls, but because those goals are allowed then clearly last nights goal should be a good goal.. As far as I know nothing in the rule book has changed. It's just sloppy, unprofessional and completely inconsistent. Fix it if you don't want players chirping the refs, because they have every right to be pissed off

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Not a fan of the offside review. Linesmen are already good enough in deciding whether the team gaining the zone have gotten an unfair advantage at the blueline aka a skate touching or not onside is inconsequential to how play continues. Certainly not enough to warrant cancelling minutes of gameplay. Was there a big problem with offsides that called for this additional video review? Seems like an answer to a question no one was really asking.

Not sure how we went from toe-in-the-crease being an offense to video evidence of grabbing the goalies leg being ok. Some work needs to be done on that. Perhaps having that review done in TO would add consistency, remove pressure from on-ice officials answering to players/coaches/fans and remove the refs role of controlling the flow of the game. That Kesler yanking on Talbot's leg play was one of the most disappointing things I've seen in over 3 decades of watching, not because the play happened but because the officials got to rewatch it and still let it happen.

Last edited:

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Scrap the offside review and coaches challenge, it's a joke and just slows down the game. Most of the time it's just because someone simply had a skate off the ice by 1/4 of an inch, as if that really gives them some huge advantage. Goalie interference would be nice if they could actually agree on what it was, but nobody knows and one team seems to get away with murder and another so much as slightly breathes on a goaltender and it's called off. Inconsistency is the issue there, but calls never go our way so scrap it too.
Just keep it for actual goal reviews, if the puck went over the line. Screw the NHL and their already outdated tiny ipads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad