Should these goalies be Hall of Famers someday? Why or why not?

Should these goalies be Hall of Famers someday? Why or why not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Marc-Andre Fleury in the HALL OF FAME?

So, being above average for 15 seasons gets you in? And, statistically speaking, being the worst playoff goalie in NHL history?

NO NO NO NEVER

Reactions: Voight and Hawkman

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
One thing to note - the HHOF is SUPER strict on goalies. Usually only 2 or 3 per "era."

MAF played in the same era as Price, Lundqvist and Luongo so good luck. Those 3 are likely the only ones to get in, at least for now.

He'd also be the weakest or at best 2nd weakest (Cheevers) goalie in the hall.

Reactions: Hawkman

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Only two guys belong on that list - Luongo and Lundqvist. MAF will get in though because wins and cups.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Should be in anyways. Guy risked his life for the game and paved the way for the Eastern Bloc migration to all Western leagues. Put him in as a builder too. f*** it.

What a lot of people forget though is that Mogilny was not the first Soviet player to make it to the NHL. And from Czechoslovakia there had been quite a lot of players coming over already.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hank should be for sure in.

Lu is kinda on the cusp, great individual pedigree, but no vezina and no team accolades hurt him a tad
Fleury is on the cusp but only because of team success and longevity.

Joseph no, even if he was a top 10 goalie for a loooooooong time IMO.

Osgood is a different case, how do you realistically say no to 3x cups, especially two as a starter ? I don't know, to me he wouldnt be in but hey... Kevin Lowe.

Rest are no.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
I'd put them all in except for Moog and Miller.

Cujo is horrifically underrated, he was basically a plug in his entire career including the twilight years in Phoenix. Fact he was only on a few really top level teams shouldn't be held against him. He was Top 3 in SA in 8 seasons and still had high save percentages and low GAA in relative terms. Problem with guys like him and The Beezer is they never won a Cup and racked up a lot of losses on mediocre teams.

Luongo, Fluery and Lundqvist are locks so that's not even a discussion.

The fringe guys based on who is in would be Barrasso, Vernon and Osgood, so let's break these guys down:

Mike Vernon
Based on skaters like Glenn Anderson getting in, he really should be a lock. Starting goaltender for two teams playing 2 Cup finals with each, winning 1 with each including a Conn Smythe award. His regular season numbers are absolutely solid, stacked teams or not the Top 10 seasons in GAA & Shutouts. Really I think this is an eventuality, especially recently.

Tom Barrasso
The American edge should have gotten him in long ago, but obviously too many see him as replaceable behind those stacked Pens teams which were stacked largely because of one guy in Mario Lemieux. It shouldn't take away from Barrasso's individual metal. Some of his individual season markers are quite impressive like five seasons Top 6 save percentage. He won a Vezina and was runner-up 3 additional times. Given the two rings as a starter it really should be a slam dunk again, eventually down the line.

Chris Osgood
Extremely biased here to the point I have a personal autographed photo of him (as in I met him and had him make it out to me). So I mean, might as well ignore all objectivity but here's my best effort. He retired 10th on the all-time regular season wins list and 8th in the playoffs and 4th in playoff shutouts. Two rings as a starter, not the resume of Barrasso but not a tin can either. I look at guys like Grant Fuhr and even Ken Dryden (who got lit up by the Soviets) playing on stacked teams getting glory because somebody has to be there. If looking for evidence of his individual abilities the whole seasons with the Blues and Islanders were statistically comparable to his days on the Wings. More to the point a lot of commentators had said during the Wings 09 run that Osgood could have won the Smythe and that regardless a Detroit victory would unquestionably make him a Hall of Famer. So he was 1 game away and he played great in that series, and that should keep him out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad