World Cup: Should the world cup adapt the nhl playoff OT system?

Do you agree with me?

• Total voters

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Talented teams lacking the courage to utilize their talent to decide a match in 120 minutes of play, deserve nothing more than to have their fate determined by chance.
I disagree, that just means less talent teams can have a better chance at winning through luck.

Reactions: King 88

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I disagree, that just means less talent teams can have a better chance at winning through luck.

If the more talented team needs penalties to beat them, than the less talented team deserves for luck to decide who advances.

It’s important we incentivize the teams with talent to use their talent, even if it means we see them eliminated earlier when they fail to do so.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Why would we get rid of penalty kicks and start rewarding talented teams for playing without ambition?

The OP proposed eliminating them, I'm just playing along. Penalty kicks are a lousy way to decide a game though. It's just unfortunate that there really isn't a better method of breaking a tie after two hours of play, unless you're in favour of a radical alternative.

One thing I've always wondered is why they are taken so close that the keeper can only hope to guess right in order to make a stop. It really is a game of chance more than skill at that point. If it were up to me I'd have the shootout kicks taken from a spot far enough away that it became a 50/50 chance, rather than the present 80/20.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The OP proposed eliminating them, I'm just playing along. Penalty kicks are a lousy way to decide a game though. It's just unfortunate that there really isn't a better method of breaking a tie after two hours of play, unless you're in favour of a radical alternative.

One thing I've always wondered is why they are taken so close that the keeper can only hope to guess right in order to make a stop. It really is a game of chance more than skill at that point. If it were up to me I'd have the shootout kicks taken from a spot far enough away that it became a 50/50 chance, rather than the present 80/20.

And I am disagreeing with that premise. Penalties are perfect for what they are; a way to end Cup matches and punish talented teams for lacking ambition.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
And I am disagreeing with that premise. Penalties are perfect for what they are; a way to end Cup matches and punish talented teams for lacking ambition.

The flip side of the coin is that untalented teams can park the bus for two hours knowing that if they hold on long enough, they get to play the penalty kick lottery. Eliminate the possibility of penalties and you eliminate any incentive not to attack in the later stages of a tied game.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
If the more talented team needs penalties to beat them, than the less talented team deserves for luck to decide who advances.

It’s important we incentivize the teams with talent to use their talent, even if it means we see them eliminated earlier when they fail to do so.
but endless OT is a deterrent from not playing ambitious itself, how on earth are you able to keep up with your next opponent when you have played more than 100 minutes of soccer?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The flip side of the coin is that untalented teams can park the bus for two hours knowing that if they hold on long enough, they get to play the penalty kick lottery. Eliminate the possibility of penalties and you eliminate any incentive not to attack in the later stages of a tied game.

As a talented team you need to be prepared to deal with parked busses & how to carve them open, that's where the brave-play comes in.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Let's implement a shot clock while we're at it.

As I mentioned many years ago on this very site, I'd be all in favour of shot clocks in football- on the condition that coaches' gonads were wired so that if their team didn't shoot within the prescribed period of time they received a heavy-voltage electric shock to the privates.

(Admittedly we might witness mutinous players deliberately not shooting in order that their coaches suffer torture. But that would be fun too).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As I mentioned many years ago on this very site, I'd be all in favour of shot clocks in football- on the condition that coaches' gonads were wired so that if their team didn't shoot within the prescribed period of time they received a heavy-voltage electric shock to the privates.

(Admittedly we might witness mutinous players deliberately not shooting in order that their coaches suffer torture. But that would be fun too).

Even better than the coaches, the owners :naughty:
Because France killed the game.

I'd have said that "because it placed way more incentive on preventing the golden goal, then on trying to come out & decide matches before penalties...which is the exact opposite of what we want to be incentivizing the top teams to do."

But this answer works to :laugh:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I'm conflicted on this, I'd be rooting for 0 shots and an ugly game.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Hell yes. Anything to not to have to see Baggio miss that PK shot high at the Rose Bowl again. I was so sure he of everyone would bury it.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
There is no such thing as perfect defense, though. You can try parking the bus for 90 minutes, but there will be holes and good teams need to exploit them. Shots from the outside are a perfect way to beat that defense. But somehow these days people want to carry the ball into the goal. I'm sure at one point we see a comeback of outside shots, just like we saw a resurgence of set pieces in this Cup.

Reactions: Stray Wasp and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There is no such thing as perfect defense, though. You can try parking the bus for 90 minutes, but there will be holes and good teams need to exploit them. Shots from the outside are a perfect way to beat that defense. But somehow these days people want to carry the ball into the goal. I'm sure at one point we see a comeback of outside shots, just like we saw a resurgence of set pieces in this Cup.

Outside shots aren't dead as plenty of teams live & die by outside shots & headers. They just are not as reliably effective for the top teams as elite dribblers who can penetrate a block & cause disarray which opens holes up for their team to slither the ball through to create a high caliber scoring opportunity.

I do agree that we see way too many aimless horizontal passes around a deep block from teams with poor structure to their attacks & little plan for penetrating an organized defense in the final third. But bad coaching almost always leads to bad football, so this has always been an issue to some extent :dunno:

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Outside shots aren't dead as plenty of teams live & die by outside shots & headers. They just are not as reliably effective for the top teams as elite dribblers who can penetrate a block & cause disarray which opens holes up for their team to slither the ball through to create a high caliber scoring opportunity.

I do agree that we see way too many aimless horizontal passes around a deep block from teams with poor structure to their attacks & little plan for penetrating an organized defense in the final third. But bad coaching almost always leads to bad football, so this has always been an issue to some extent :dunno:
Is it just my expression or do we see less dribblers (not just run quickly pass the defender but actually try to undress the defense) as well? Most teams I watch just try to play the quick pass and keep the ball less on the foot. Crosses and headers is not what I meant with outside shots, though. And I agree that they are less reliable but they are an option that is less used and would fit nice into the counterpressing option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad