World Cup: Should the world cup adapt the nhl playoff OT system?

Do you agree with me?

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Salary cap would be interesting. I mean look at the state of club football. Every league is just a 2-3 team battle season after season with the rest of the teams playing fodder. Only in the EPL where a billionaire can buy into and well ok now it’s a 5-6 team battle.

It sucks to know my club will never ever ever be good enough to play in the CL because we're too big of hipsters to ever make or pay enough for that...and even if our academy started spitting out BdO candidates every summer we'd manage to avoid promotion to the top division somehow.

But I'd rather watch great talents playing beautiful football together at the highest level than the parity of mediocrity.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It sucks to know my club will never ever ever be good enough to play in the CL because we're too big of hipsters to ever make or pay enough for that...and even if our academy started spitting out BdO candidates every summer we'd manage to avoid promotion to the top division somehow.

I feel like I should know this by now, but who exactly do you support?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Football is a global sport, so a worldwide salary cap systems is impossible to implement. Even if one region (say EU) implemented it, the best players would just move to play elsewhere where they are paid the most, and that league would start to dominate the TV market. The current biggest clubs wouldn't risk their dominating position with a silly salary cap.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club

But I'd rather watch great talents playing beautiful football together at the highest level than the parity of mediocrity.
I mean I feel you. My favorite team is in Spanish 2nd division now. To a certain extent I’m not even mad, I guess when we are small club supporter we get used to cheering for the little victories we obtain here and there. The ups and down become part of the journey. But man, when you have a team that has like 5 million payroll playing in the same league as one with 300 it’s just a bit much

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The games would be awful to watch with even more sitting back than normal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean I feel you. My favorite team is in Spanish 2nd division now. To a certain extent I’m not even mad, I guess when we are small club supporter we get used to cheering for the little victories we obtain here and there. The ups and down become part of the journey. But man, when you have a team that has like 5 million payroll playing in the same league as one with 300 it’s just a bit much

Meh, it only irks me when those wealthy teams use their money to play negative football...thus my feelings towards Mourinho :laugh:

If they use that money to play beautiful football like Pep does, then I just enjoy watching the greatness. But I like the NBA despite being a Knicks fan...so maybe I'm just more of a masochist than I'd like to admit...

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Meh, it only irks me when those wealthy teams use their money to play negative football...thus my feelings towards Mourinho :laugh:

If they use that money to play beautiful football like Pep does, then I just enjoy watching the greatness. But I like the NBA despite being a Knicks fan...so maybe I'm just more of a masochist than I'd like to admit...
Well yeah sure as a football fan if my team is going against a team that’s able to field basically all stars and we get whooped what can I do other than admire them whooping our behind. The football of that team might be beautiful but the league is a boring recycle. To be fair to Mourinho that’s how he got success with a lesser club unlike Pep that’s never had to manage a mediocre club. Let’s see if Pep can win a CL with Porto. That’s why I rate Klopp much higher.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I may be going to Berlin in the Fall so I guess I'll have to add these guys to the week itinerary ;)

The atmosphere at matches is intoxicating

I'm not kidding about hearing their matches from over a kilometer away, despite the stadium being in the middle of a forest :laugh:

Last edited:

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Football is a global sport, so a worldwide salary cap systems is impossible to implement. Even if one region (say EU) implemented it, the best players would just move to play elsewhere where they are paid the most, and that league would start to dominate the TV market. The current biggest clubs wouldn't risk their dominating position with a silly salary cap.
What do you mean? let's have a salary cap of a 1 million...yen

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'd definitely support a return to golden goal. Seems this was only around for a few years though. I understand that in theory weather and pitch conditions could advantage a team on one side of the field, but when was the last time this actually played out in reality on a pristine WC pitch where huge stadiums block out the wind?

As for continuous ET...the only way it's possible would be to allow unlimited substitutions after 90 minutes. My fantasy world proposal would be that at the beginning of ET the manager can put out whichever 11 he chooses. Play a 30 minute period, sudden death, no subs allowed unless a goalkeeper is injured. If no goal is scored in the half hour, you can once again field whichever 11 you want for another 30, and so on.

Of course, any purist would have a heart attack if this were ever implemented. But if the idea was that penalty kicks must be eliminated, you have to get creative.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd definitely support a return to golden goal. Seems this was only around for a few years though. I understand that in theory weather and pitch conditions could advantage a team on one side of the field, but when was the last time this actually played out in reality on a pristine WC pitch where huge stadiums block out the wind?

As for continuous ET...the only way it's possible would be to allow unlimited substitutions after 90 minutes. My fantasy world proposal would be that at the beginning of ET the manager can put out whichever 11 he chooses. Play a 30 minute period, sudden death, no subs allowed unless a goalkeeper is injured. If no goal is scored in the half hour, you can once again field whichever 11 you want for another 30, and so on.

Of course, any purist would have a heart attack if this were ever implemented. But if the idea was that penalty kicks must be eliminated, you have to get creative.

Why would we get rid of penalty kicks and start rewarding talented teams for playing without ambition?

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Why would we get rid of penalty kicks and start rewarding talented teams for playing without ambition?
because soccer is a team sport and penalty kick pretty much ruins it. Plus, if you are the player, you probably wouldn't want the game to stretch too long anyways. Imagine having to play more than 140 minutes of soccer in the quaterfinal and expected to compete with teams like France in the final, who only played 90 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad