World Cup: Should the world cup adapt the nhl playoff OT system?

Do you agree with me?

• Total voters

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I personally believe that the world cup shouldn't end with a penalty kick, especially in the final 4. Soccer, much like hockey, is a team sport. Not an individual sport. I want to see the losing team loses result from a mistake, like a defense lapse or a goalie not making a save in the right time.

Shootout is really unfair to goalies , he pretty much has less than one second to save the ball from entering the net. You can argue that he is not really saving, but rather just guessing where the ball will be.

If i am a fan of the winning team, I wouldn't be as happy because the team pretty much just win by luck. If i am a fan of the losing team, I would be pissed because they lost by just luck.

I think coaches should able to rotate players much like hockey during OT, and the game shouldn't end until someone scores a goal.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Please no. Football is too long of a sport and have too few of substitutions to make it have continuous overtimes. Like having players run for potentially 180 minutes would have serious health concerns, especially in the hotter climates.

I would implement an NBA style anti-back pass protocol to help scoring before doing anything about continuous overtime.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Players can't constantly run around for that period of time. Continuous OT is just begging for injuries.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This would be an interesting rule for a meaningless minor league just to see what would happen.
It would only apply after you cross the centre line for the record. You can still back pass the eff inside offencive portion of the pitch, but just can't cross it after the ball is passed the line.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It would only apply after you cross the centre line for the record. You can still back pass the eff inside offencive portion of the pitch, but just can't cross it after the ball is passed the line.
I know, just like basketball backcourt pass rule. It would be a weird rule at first, but I could see it making it a more interesting games for casual fans. Something the old-school MLS wouldn't considered.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I don't like the idea, however if they went away from penalties.. I think they should go exchanging free kicks from outside the the side of the box (between the 18 and the side line). So it's a win based on a set piece that's not a PK.

Could also be a stupid idea.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Trivia corner- how many of you were aware the World Cup used to contain replays?

I think 1982 was the last World Cup where the final, had it finished in a draw, would have brought about a replay.

If they went back to a 16 team final series they could allow for replays.

Reactions: KJS14 and cgf

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They should use stopped time for extra time.

If it were up to me, they would use stopped time from about 80 minutes on.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They should use stopped time for extra time.

If it were up to me, they would use stopped time from about 80 minutes on.

I'd rather we just track the time lost & tack on however much stoppage time it requires, be that 5 minutes or 25.

With blatant time-wasting being clocked at double time.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd rather we just track the time lost & take on however much stoppage time it requires, be that 5 minutes or 25.

With blatant time-wasting being clocked at double time.

I’d like to see a ref raise one, two or three fingers in the face of a timewaster and say I’m adding these many minutes thanks to you.

You fool around for 10 seconds, thats 2 minutes.

Reactions: Eisen and cgf

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
The play in soccer is usually brutal in extra time to begin with. Can't imagine how bad it would be if the players kept playing. A goal would probably be scored when a defender just cramped up and fell at the wrong time.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Football will not be americanized (hopefully)
Salary cap would be interesting. I mean look at the state of club football. Every league is just a 2-3 team battle season after season with the rest of the teams playing fodder. Only in the EPL where a billionaire can buy into and well ok now it’s a 5-6 team battle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad