Speculation: Should the Wings look at trading...

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Yes, they should consider it. The team has put Bowey, Biega, and Brian Lashoff ahead of him. A team that is essentially saying "if you can play an ounce of NHL quality defense, you will start." If he can't be a regular on this dumpster fire of a team, I don't know how he's going to stick long-term.

I hated the pick in '16. He played against nobodies (didn't even produce all that well) and was still picked 20th overall. He was a smaller defensemen with question marks in most relevant categories when accessing draft talent. The only place where he really excelled in his journey to Detroit was the WHL in '18 where he was already older than many of the players.

Fast forward to today, he can move the puck pretty well... when given time. I see signs of a player that has the potential to make a lot of good things happen. But he's not good in his own end and struggles a lot under a forecheck. He turns the puck over way too much. Can AHL time help him? I have doubts. I root for him, I really do. But I think this one is a bust considering the quality of pick we used.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Absolutely yes, if you can get a second for him do it

Yes, they should consider it. The team has put Bowey, Biega, and Brian Lashoff ahead of him. A team that is essentially saying "if you can play an ounce of NHL quality defense, you will start." If he can't be a regular on this dumpster fire of a team, I don't know how he's going to stick long-term.

I hated the pick in '16. He played against nobodies (didn't even produce all that well) and was still picked 20th overall. He was a smaller defensemen with question marks in most relevant categories when accessing draft talent. The only place where he really excelled in his journey to Detroit was the WHL in '18 where he was already older than many of the players.

Fast forward to today, he can move the puck pretty well... when given time. I see signs of a player that has the potential to make a lot of good things happen. But he's not good in his own end and struggles a lot under a forecheck. He turns the puck over way too much. Can AHL time help him? I have doubts. I root for him, I really do. But I think this one is a bust considering the quality of pick we used.

For some reason I get Cholo and Hronek mixed up sometimes (don’t ask me how) so naturally this post made me go wtf :laugh::help:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Tough call.
But unless you're a first-rounder or a good young D (and why would anyone give that up?) why bother?
Take the chance that he's a project that's going to take time.

Maybe there's some team out there that loves him. Maybe Holland and Wright love him.

Otherwise, I can't see anyone offering enough to make it worth trading him.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Unfortunately, his value is too low now, like AA. I'd try to increase their value asap & trade them if that happens. AA+Cholowski for Nurse+2nd? Cholo has 1-2 seasons before he's a considered a bust, but his D hasn't really improved, certainly trending downward & worrisome. Maybe Kronner can tutor him in GR after practice. He's supplanted Seider on PP1 which I'm not a fan of.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Absolutely yes, if you can get a second for him do it

For some reason I get Cholo and Hronek mixed up sometimes (don’t ask me how) so naturally this post made me go wtf :laugh::help:

Is this serious! You would give up on 20 year old defender that quickly for a 2nd round pick?

Do people think most defenders step in and are dominant immediately, or that some defenders don't need time to learn the pro game? He is in his 2nd pro season and only half way through it, if all you pro tank guys are this impatient, how the heck are you going to survive a rebuild? While I would like him to be doing better, it isn't like he gets the benefit of learning the defensive side from anyone good on our team. Hronek is doing good, but he also started out as better in his own end so making the jump will come easier for a player like that. Cholo needs time to learn to defensive side of the game, maybe he gets there maybe he doesn't but how about some patience? If he isn't part of a major piece coming back he is a no go right now on the trade front.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised to see Yzerman pull the trigger on someone of value that we weren't expecting. Who? I have no idea, but it wouldn't shock me.
I don't see SY trading Larkin/Mantha/Bert/Fabbri/Zadina/Hronek/Nemeth/DDK, nor Veleno/Seider.

It's probably open season on anybody else. I included DDK b/c of his injury/contract & importance to our Top4, same w/Nemeth.

Edit: Cholowski will be 22 in Feb '20, so he's got 1.5 seasons to become a Top4 NHL Dman, otherwise he should be traded by then or sooner.

Last edited:

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Is this serious! You would give up on 20 year old defender that quickly for a 2nd round pick?

Do people think most defenders step in and are dominant immediately, or that some defenders don't need time to learn the pro game? He is in his 2nd pro season and only half way through it, if all you pro tank guys are this impatient, how the heck are you going to survive a rebuild? While I would like him to be doing better, it isn't like he gets the benefit of learning the defensive side from anyone good on our team. Hronek is doing good, but he also started out as better in his own end so making the jump will come easier for a player like that. Cholo needs time to learn to defensive side of the game, maybe he gets there maybe he doesn't but how about some patience? If he isn't part of a major piece coming back he is a no go right now on the trade front.

Okay maybe a 2nd is selling off assets for cheap but if he isn’t part of a bigger trade is he worth keeping around as a permanent fixture?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Mobile puck mover, and he's how old? He gets a couple more years.. Even if he goes down to the AHL for 2 years and comes back up he is still young and able to be a part of the rebuild. Let him work on his D going back and forth from Grand Rapids for the next year or two and then let's see what he is. Worst case he flames out, we got Hronek and Seider... Not like the long tern future is completely bleak. We hopefully already have half of our top 4 long term.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
im no longer a huge fan because of his paniced thinking and softness issues . but trading him now wont get much and mean while maturing physically and gaining more mental development couldmake him imo a solid but unspectacular good all around 2nd pairing guy , a decent skating finess dman with good reach and shot . but keep him in gr all year to let him settle down , dont put nhl pressure on him

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Eff no. When in a rebuild you don't trade your young players. Are people idiots?
I wouldn't put the question in those exact words, but I agree completely..

Talent evaluation and patience are at an all-time low on this board. Cholo is intriguing enough with his hockey IQ, passing ability and poise with the puck that you give him at least until he's 24-25 until you even consider actively shopping him.

Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad