Player Discussion Should the Wild Acquire another goaltender?

Should the Wild acquire another goaltender?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Pretty simple question: do you think this team should acquire another goaltender?

We’d probably have a lot better record if Dub didn’t let in softies every night. Anyone disagree? This has been happening for awhile. Even in the playoffs.

Anyone curious how this team would look with a different goalie? I sure am!

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I don't know, no real point. Like, I see a lot of people want to trade Dubs, but tell me, clearly, who are we going to play? Stalock who is a true #2? It's one of those things...that's like saying it's going to be a full 5 year rebuild.

Which, I'm not saying isn't a good idea in the long run (..uhh..maybe) , but I just don't see it happening.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I don't know, no real point. Like, I see a lot of people want to trade Dubs, but tell me, clearly, who are we going to play? Stalock who is a true #2? It's one of those things...that's like saying it's going to be a full 5 year rebuild.

Which, I'm not saying isn't a good idea in the long run (..uhh..maybe) , but I just don't see it happening.
They would obviously need to acquire another goalie if they trade Dubnyk, since KK should stay down for a while. If they can get a decent one for cheap in FA, I'd say go for it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If you think that all the problems that this team has would be solved by a new, mysteriously good, goaltender, then you are naive. Doobs has had a couple of bad games, but in general, he's an OK starting NHL G.

It's not like there is a pool of great starting goaltenders around just waiting to be traded for cheap.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
If you think that all the problems that this team has would be solved by a new, mysteriously good, goaltender, then you are naive. Doobs has had a couple of bad games, but in general, he's an OK starting NHL G.

It's not like there is a pool of great starting goaltenders around just waiting to be traded for cheap.
No one thinks that. But if you look at Dubynk and think "there's no chance this is the guy on a cup-winning team", you may as well look for another. I don't think Dubs can be that guy.

With how fantastic our D is at limiting high-danger chances, there are probably plenty of decent goalies that could perform just as well. Look at what both Lehner and Greiss are doing for the Islanders. Literally first and second in both Save % and GAA. Both gotten for cheap in UFA the past couple years.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Let’s just let this year run it’s course. If our centers next year look like Koivu and JEE why even bother

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Dubnyk is an average at best NHL goaltender. Stalock is an AHL at best level goaltender. Dubnyk would probably be fine as your starter if you had an actual backup that could step in when Dubnyk goes sideways for a stretch.

I personally would prefer to never have to watch either play for the Wild again.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
trade dubs for the biggest sive you can find and tell the team to learn how to score more than one a game.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Who would you aim for ?

What's wrong with Lyon ?
I would aim for a guy that has actual NHL experience. I don't know that there's anything wrong with Lyon, but 13 NHL games over 3 years for a team with maybe the worst goaltending in the league? Yeah, that doesn't make me real confident.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I would aim for a guy that has actual NHL experience. I don't know that there's anything wrong with Lyon, but 13 NHL games over 3 years for a team with maybe the worst goaltending in the league? Yeah, that doesn't make me real confident.
Valid points.
His AHL #'s are good and he's young.
Problem is he's on a 1 way deal next year, No way GMPF goes for that

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Valid points.
His AHL #'s are good and he's young.
Problem is he's on a 1 way deal next year, No way GMPF goes for that
I think Kahkonen is already filling the role that you would want a guy like Lyon for? Not sure you want two guys like that in Iowa?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No one thinks that. But if you look at Dubynk and think "there's no chance this is the guy on a cup-winning team", you may as well look for another. I don't think Dubs can be that guy.

With how fantastic our D is at limiting high-danger chances, there are probably plenty of decent goalies that could perform just as well. Look at what both Lehner and Greiss are doing for the Islanders. Literally first and second in both Save % and GAA. Both gotten for cheap in UFA the past couple years.
That has little to do with Greiss and Lehner, and everything to do with Trotz.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
No point this season. This isn't 15-16 where the team plays well but a lack of confidence in their goalie is killing their game. The team isn't playing well, they are lazy or tired. Also don't like the idea of forcing Kahkonen along too early. Make a move in the summer.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Use the draft. Take two and see how they progress. Mads Sogaard would be interesting. I haven't seen him, but a 6' 7" net presence would be intimidating.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Use the draft. Take two and see how they progress. Mads Sogaard would be interesting. I haven't seen him, but a 6' 7" net presence would be intimidating.
They'll need to for sure, but you have to assume the guys in the draft are many years away. KK was drafted in 2014, and we're sitting here in 2019 hoping he can stay in the minors at least another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad