Should the Pens consider dealing Letang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Would you trade Letang straight-up for Weber?

Would Montreal? I know they like francophones, but trading their most productive player for a guy at low ebb seems a bit risky on their part.

Me, I'd consider it, but not sure I'd do it. Weber's contract looks a fairly sure bet to be something you pay to be rid of in the not so long run as well, so that's a black mark against him. I think Letang's a better fit for this team when going, so basically its "How sure am I Letang is going to recover to a good enough standard".

And I think he should but the reality is I simply don't have enough information to know.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Would you trade Letang straight-up for Weber?

If Weber was only under contract for the next 3 or 4 seasons, I'd think long and hard about it. He's not the puck carrier that Letang is, but he'd be better in the defensive zone and his bomb on the PP would be a huge weapon.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Weber was only under contract for the next 3 or 4 seasons, I'd think long and hard about it. He's not the puck carrier that Letang is, but he'd be better in the defensive zone and his bomb on the PP would be a huge weapon.
That contract, though. :laugh: Sooooo bad.

That's an idea where it would probably benefit the Pens. Letang is so good/athletic, but a steady as she goes guy with Schultz waiting to take over the PP would probably be smart for this team.

But contracts are a bitch.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That contract, though. :laugh: Sooooo bad.

That's an idea where it would probably benefit the Pens. Letang is so good/athletic, but a steady as she goes guy with Schultz waiting to take over the PP would probably be smart for this team.

But contracts are a *****.
Might be a quick way to get Horny to walk in free agency. Who would want those shots flying their way every night :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ok, let's say they definitely won't.

The alternative is Letang continues to play this poorly (as we've seen with some players around the league just completely being shells of their former self for years), then what? The team is stuck with Letang for the rest of his contract.

There's that "problem" too.

Or another alternative: Letang gets back to where he was before the injury. Why is the only alternative he continues to suck?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Might be a quick way to get Horny to walk in free agency. Who would want those shots flying their way every night :laugh:

I thought Horny ended up on the PP at Nashville because he was the only guy nuts enough to stand in front of those shots?

bigkam

Jun 13, 2009
I was against resigning him a few years ago, and now he’s likely worth more to us here than anywhere else. Doubt the return on a guy who is always injured, has had multiple career threatening health issues, and has forgotten how to place basic defense would be worth much.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Or another alternative: Letang gets back to where he was before the injury. Why is the only alternative he continues to suck?

I forgot to put that part in, but yeah, if he can get back on track, awesome. But it's almost the 1/4 point in the season, has anyone seen anything to suggest he will be back to his old self?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I forgot to put that part in, but yeah, if he can get back on track, awesome. But it's almost the 1/4 point in the season, has anyone seen anything to suggest he will be back to his old self?

What has Letang done over his career to suggest that this level of play is somehow the normal for him? You're overreacting about a 15 game sample size.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I am completely OK with trading Letang in principle.... but I don't think it is in any way realistic that such a trade happens during the season, much less this season. You cannot get a replacement for the guy he is when playing at his "real" level now, and a win now team like us would rather bet on him finding that level than trade him way below perceived value.

Could be a different at a time where there was a significant D-UFA to go for. Clearly a scenario where one could deal Letang for an appealing package and snap up Doughty for instance.... that would be quite something. Or potentially a trade with LA after this season if they cannot get Doughty to sign a new contract. In any case I think discussions on trading Letang now are just going to be silly.
It is well possible to savage his performance level in commentary here without suggesting a solution that is not just farfetched, but also ill advised as regards eventual return and value for our three-peat plans in all but LSD fed scenarios.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I would not trade him for all of the reasons OP named: his (and talent that fits this system better than most others), the lack of a suitable replacement, and a reticence to sell low.

I would also not trade him for one additional reason: beyond the unlikelihood of getting good value for him, it's even more unlikely that they could get useful value for him. At least some of the package would be futures, and I honestly have no use whatsoever for futures. Anything that doesn't help the team win now is kind of pointless.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
His value is pretty low at the moment, and for good reason. He' looked like ass thus far this season and is coming off yet another long I jury layoff. In terms of raw talent Letang is one or the best in the league. However when you assess certain factors such as injuries, age, and cap hit, you need the guy to be in top form for teams to even entertain the idea of moving anything decent for him. Doesn't help that we'r dreadfully thin on the blue line atm either

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Pens don't win the cup last year with a healthy Letang in the lineup.

Letang is leading all players with his league worst -16 (OEL on the miserable ARI is 2nd with -12). You ain't trading him for Mark Eaton right now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pens don't win the cup last year with a healthy Letang in the lineup.

Letang is leading all players with his league worst -16 (OEL on the miserable ARI is 2nd with -12). You ain't trading him for Mark Eaton right now.
f29Mi.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What has Letang done over his career to suggest that this level of play is somehow the normal for him? You're overreacting about a 15 game sample size.

Possibly, I won't pretend like the rest of the team mostly playing like crap doesn't jade my opinion about Letang as well.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
He's actually producing well offensively this season. But outside of that and his skating, the rest of his game is disgusting. In a very bad way. Last point, if we were to trade him, I would assume the package would be large. I mean look what Duchene got as a struggling center.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He's actually producing well offensively this season. But outside of that and his skating, the rest of his game is disgusting. In a very bad way. Last point, if we were to trade him, I would assume the package would be large. I mean look what Duchene got as a struggling center.
When was Duchene's last neck surgery or stroke? Those have to hurt Letang's trade value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad