Should the Pens consider dealing Letang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We'd need that pick/prospect to help in a hurry or it would be a waste of a trade imo.

Unless the roster player + cap space lead to an improved team otherwise. Which is possible, but hard to say how we'd use it. JR is awesome at trades but I don't know that he has the greatest track record with FA signings.

This is in a hypothetical situation where our D blows the playoffs for us. It is likely between Maatta, Schultz and Letang in terms of moving someone out to address that.

I’d go Schultz personally, but Letang likely brings back the best pieces and helps avoid the inevitable cap crunch coming in 19-20.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Don't you think the Pens plan is to stay the course with its core players at this point for the next 3 years? I can't see letang or schultz traded as they are top 3 d-men on the team right now (even with their issues). Let's not forget that these guys and Dumo were crucial to the 2016 and 2017 cups (Ltang in '16 and Schultz in '17). I think JR will upgrade on D but I think it will more or less be to push Ruh to being the 7th defenseman.

I just find it hard to envision any trade of Schultz, Letang or even Maatta that makes the team better in the short term which is this team's focus. Cap space and picks aren't as important when you have a defined window of the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Futures can be traded though. Doesn’t mean that’s what we are stuck with. If we play it right we can come out better.

If there's one thing I wish I could hypnotise the rest of the forum into agreeing with me on, it would be this.

As for the cap space - this season's free agency is a little bit meh. You can get a nice left winger or 2nd pairing dman for your cap overspend, but that's about it.

But again, cap space doesn't have to go to free agents. It can also help you snare some useful assets in trade, but we have to be careful there as any contracts extending over Murray's next contract need to be movable.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If there's one thing I wish I could hypnotise the rest of the forum into agreeing with me on, it would be this.

As for the cap space - this season's free agency is a little bit meh. You can get a nice left winger or 2nd pairing dman for your cap overspend, but that's about it.

But again, cap space doesn't have to go to free agents. It can also help you snare some useful assets in trade, but we have to be careful there as any contracts extending over Murray's next contract need to be movable.

Futures also greatly opens up who you can trade with in other deals.

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I think the deal you hope for is something like Klefbom and a 1st for Letang.

Or something like Klefbom, Yamamoto, and a 2nd.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This is in a hypothetical situation where our D blows the playoffs for us. It is likely between Maatta, Schultz and Letang in terms of moving someone out to address that.

I’d go Schultz personally, but Letang likely brings back the best pieces and helps avoid the inevitable cap crunch coming in 19-20.

We'll see how it plays out. I'd prefer to give Letang a full year and full camp to see what he can do. If he's as inconsistent defensively next year, then we might have problems.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We'll see how it plays out. I'd prefer to give Letang a full year and full camp to see what he can do. If he's as inconsistent defensively next year, then we might have problems.

The issue with that is as KIRK has alluded to is you are potentially blowing are two best chances of getting another cup hoping a inconsistent and injury prone players, stays healthy and plays at a level we need him to.

Letang is my favorite player. Has been since 08. I completely understand why this is being dicussed. In my heart, I think Letang is going to be legit in the playoffs like he has always been.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the deal you hope for is something like Klefbom and a 1st for Letang.

Or something like Klefbom, Yamamoto, and a 2nd.

The second of those would be a hard no from me. Yamamoto and a high 2nd do not open the door to further quality deals.

Edmonton's 1st would, so I'd consider that. Not sold on the idea, but I'd consider it. I would want to know where I'm finding my new top 4 RHD dman ahead of time before pulling the trigger on such a deal though.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The issue with that is as KIRK has alluded to is you are potentially blowing are two best chances of getting another cup hoping a inconsistent and injury prone players, stays healthy and plays at a level we need him to.

Letang is my favorite player. Has been since 08. I completely understand why this is being dicussed. In my heart, I think Letang is going to be legit in the playoffs like he has always been.

Honestly my comments weren't made with emotion. I genuinely think it's worth it to give Letang another year to figure it out. He's not that old yet. From a purely hockey ops standpoint I think it makes sense to hold onto him unless someone randomly offers us Mcdavid or something.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Honest question. Does anyone actually know what impact the assistants have? We went from hating Tocchet during the MJ year+ to loving him based on what? Now people think Recchi sucks. What evidence do we have for either of these views?
We hated Tocchet during the MJ year because we thought we missed out on Desjardins because of it and now neither MJ or WD are coaches in the NHL so it was just some bitter resentment for that at the time. But we then heard that Tocchet had the relationship with the players that related to them and was the perfect go between and Rex is not that type. Rex was never that type even as a player.

But yeah Rick was appointed and we thought we missed out on a better coach. Turns out we didn't and that he was a good hire but his replacement is severely lacking because he has no coaching experience at all while Rick had a fair amount as assistant and head coach.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If you can find a team willing to part with a roster player, prospect and 1st for Letang, you take it and run.

I don't doubt there would be suitors lined up around the block for Letang. There are likely several deals out there that would make us a much deeper, stronger team if JR wants 'em. Whether it be a winger or a blueliner as the main piece coming back, we could use either. Sid-Jake needs a final piece badly.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If you can find a team willing to part with a roster player, prospect and 1st for Letang, you take it and run.

I don't doubt there would be suitors lined up around the block for Letang. There are likely several deals out there that would make us a much deeper, stronger team if JR wants 'em. Whether it be a winger or a blueliner as the main piece coming back, we could use either. Sid-Jake needs a final piece badly.

If that was JR's bottom line in December, then Letang wouldn't be a member of the Penguins right now.

What happens this summer if (when) there's an early playoff exit? I suspect they'll look to move him as part of a series of moves designed to change up the mix.

BTW, I'd also keep an eye on Phil IF there's an ugly playoff exit. I'm not saying they'd do it or even necessarily seriously explore it, but Phil isn't a Sully guy, and will his value be any higher than it will be this summer?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If that was JR's bottom line in December, then Letang wouldn't be a member of the Penguins right now.

What happens this summer if (when) there's an early playoff exit? I suspect they'll look to move him as part of a series of moves designed to change up the mix.

BTW, I'd also keep an eye on Phil IF there's an ugly playoff exit. I'm not saying they'd do it or even necessarily seriously explore it, but Phil isn't a Sully guy, and will his value be any higher than it will be this summer?

Was there a deal JR didn't pull the trigger on or something? PM me the juice, yo. :laugh:

Man, if they move Phil before Letang... Yikes.

I don't think Phil gets you nearly the return Letang does, and Phil's done infinitely more for this team than Letang has over the same period.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Was there a deal JR didn't pull the trigger on or something? PM me the juice, yo. :laugh:

Man, if they move Phil before Letang... Yikes.

I don't think Phil gets you nearly the return Letang does, and Phil's done infinitely more for this team than Letang has over the same period.

There was no deal for Letang. But, there was a better offer than a roster player, prospect, 1st that someone else mentioned.

I just think so much depends upon what happens in the playoffs.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
There was no deal for Letang. But, there was a better offer than a roster player, prospect, 1st that someone else mentioned.

I just think so much depends upon what happens in the playoffs.
I hope he's gone regardless. This team needs some legitimate retooling, if not to fix the roster than to simply get fresh bodies in. Desperation and hunger are two of our biggest issues.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
I'd love an upgrade on Letang, but there is no way that will happen via trade. He produces too much and logs too many big minutes, and we'd never get full value for him.

The only way he's let go is if we can sign a similar player via free agency and then trade him.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I hope he's gone regardless. This team needs some legitimate retooling, if not to fix the roster than to simply get fresh bodies in. Desperation and hunger are two of our biggest issues.

Letang is probably one of the "hungrier" players on the penguins right now. He has something to prove after missing the last cup run and he was always one of the more vivid penguins.

Letangs issues on this board are also pretty exaggerated, like they always are. He had an attrocious first 40 games, but has been pretty solid since.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Letang is probably one of the "hungrier" players on the penguins right now. He has something to prove after missing the last cup run and he was always one of the more vivid penguins.

Letangs issues on this board are also pretty exaggerated, like they always are. He had an attrocious first 40 games, but has been pretty solid since.

Yeah. This season could just be an anomaly we see all of the core go through at times.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
He didn’t skate until 2 weeks before the season started. I imagine that would be a huge factor.

He was awesome under Sully before the injury.
People forget just how good he was for the 2016 run.

That being said that's a long way off from where we stand now.

What's a fair return for Letang at this point?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Unless there is a great offer and assuming the Pens are taking calls, I think he may actually be better next year with a off season to train and condition and a year removed from neck surgery. In any event, many teams would line up for Letang if they could low ball the offer. Cap at 80 million gives many teams wiggle room here. For me GMJR is a issue. He just falls to hard for his guys like Olli, who I would trade in a heart beat.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
This is already being discussed in the cap thread. Also, it's probably better to wait a day or two to let emotions clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->